+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Little Help - Touch Screen Laptops in Technical; Hi I've been asked by my head teacher about buying a Touchscreen laptop, which she has seen someone else use ...

Thank Post

Little Help - Touch Screen Laptops

Hi

I've been asked by my head teacher about buying a Touchscreen laptop, which she has seen someone else use and thinks would be useful for her lesson observations, writing notes and general use.

I was shopping the other day and came across the HP TX2 and thought that it was rather well priced and the spec seemed good.

The Head has also approached me with the HP 2730p, with the addition of an external DVD drive!

I've been reading reviews and looking at the specs of both and I feel that I can't confidently tell her one or the other! I'd like to say the TX2 but is that just me being tight, would spending a little more be better for this, will the TX2 be quick enough do you think, with minimal lag etc?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bollo318 View Post
    Hi

I've been asked by my head teacher about buying a Touchscreen laptop, which she has seen someone else use and thinks would be useful for her lesson observations, writing notes and general use.

I was shopping the other day and came across the HP TX2 and thought that it was rather well priced and the spec seemed good.

The Head has also approached me with the HP 2730p, with the addition of an external DVD drive!

I've been reading reviews and looking at the specs of both and I feel that I can't confidently tell her one or the other! I'd like to say the TX2 but is that just me being tight, would spending a little more be better for this, will the TX2 be quick enough do you think, with minimal lag etc?
    the TX2 is more of a home user convertible tablet laptop and these sometimes have issues with the ATI chipset , search some of the HP forums and you will see quite alot of problems,
    The HP 2730P is the real deal when looking for a tablet system which has a Core2Duo CPU much quicker than the TX2's AMD turion and also has a Intel Display adapter which doesnt suffer from the same issues as the TX2,
    Also the 2730P has a far superior battery life than the TX2 which I believe only has a maximum of 2hrs.
    I hope that helps little-miss but with this its a case of you get what you pay for
    Last edited by CPLTD; 30th November 2009 at 05:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Teach her to touch type .. buy a netbook .. save 400 on the TX2 .. never mind the amount on the 2730 .. lol ..

just got a couple of Netbooks for out HT and DHT for just such a thing and they love them .. generally for class observations they have a paper tick list and transfer that later, but for pupil reviews / meetings they use the NetBook to type their notes as they go.

Thank Post
    I've had a play with the HP 2730p my only disappointment was that it is not a touch screen it has a pen on the side that us use the "write" on the screen though the handwriting recognition is very good as it can interpret mine .

I know in London that it is part of the local authority specification and that under ogc10 and so it can be bought for 749 ex Vat

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. I can now make a better decision.

I know in London that it is part of the local authority specification and that under ogc10 and so it can be bought for 749 ex Vat
    Faceman - what is the OGC10? Is it something that applies to just London or is this a country wide thing? Please excuse my ignorance!

And new question then...I'm looking at the 2730p at insight. I'm thinking and seeing if I can get a bit more of a bargain! Do you think I should try to get a lower price, or try to keep the same price but get Windows 7 - everything points to 7 being better equipped for the Touch interface? Or does the Vista license still come with the option of upgrading to Windows 7?
    Last edited by bollo318; 2nd December 2009 at 10:00 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread