+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun 7410 Getting Hammered - Suggestions? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Sun 7410 Getting Hammered - Suggestions?

Hey all, looking for any possible advice here. I've raised a case with Cutter who are looking into it.

Weíve got a start menu share on our S7410 that has student and staff mapped/shared (via DFS) start menus on it. Everything has been fine for ages, but yesterday at just after 10:00 CIFS, Network and CPU started getting absolutely hammered, and CIFS is now showing a hurricane on the BUI.

The access is only to the staff start menu and is coming from staff PCs. It drops off overnight when no one is logged on then starts up again in the morning. The type of operation going on is NtTransact and isnít hitting the disks. Network traffic is an even split of in and out.

The only thing that changed around the time this started was that I added a new shortcut for software to the staff start menu. Itís just a shortcut to a html file but it did have a slightly unusual character in it (an e with an accent). Any idea if this could be the problem? Nothing else has changed to my knowledge. Iíve now removed that shortcut completely but so far it hasnít made a difference. It might not change until the DFS caching runs out (30 mins).

Any suggestions?
    Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    @Duke:

What AV are you using?

Thank Post
    Sophos, installed on all PCs but there's no AV on the 7410 itself. Sophos has caused us problems before, but nothing like this. It crossed my mind, I'll investigate further...

Thank Post
    Time for Analytics!

Break down CPU in to process., identify which process is taking your CPU.
    Break down CIFS to client access, file access.

See who? is doing what ? and when ?

Andy

Thank Post
    I'm working on this now and analytics is saving me. More and more this is looking like a Sophos problem, even though Sophos itself isn't reporting any issues. Gonna work until I get kicked out, will post an update once I find one.

So far (and I'm halfway through testing), it looks like you can log onto a PC fine as a member of staff, but once you open the start menu usage on the SAN pick up loads. Rather than dropping off once the menu is closed, it then constantly stays at that level. It's like Sophos is doing an on-access scan of the start menu when you mouse over a folder (which is fine), but then keeps scanning those files rather than stopping!

EDIT: Disabling on-access scanning hasn't made any difference. Next step is a complete uninstall.

Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 25th November 2009 at 05:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I'm working on this now and analytics is saving me. More and more this is looking like a Sophos problem, even though Sophos itself isn't reporting any issues. Gonna work until I get kicked out, will post an update once I find one.

So far (and I'm halfway through testing), it looks like you can log onto a PC fine as a member of staff, but once you open the start menu usage on the SAN pick up loads. Rather than dropping off once the menu is closed, it then constantly stays at that level. It's like Sophos is doing an on-access scan of the start menu when you mouse over a folder (which is fine), but then keeps scanning those files rather than stopping!

EDIT: Disabling on-access scanning hasn't made any difference. Next step is a complete uninstall.

Chris

Can you add an exclusion in Sophos or just uninstall it on a PC to test.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Can you add an exclusion in Sophos or just uninstall it on a PC to test.
    Yep, am working on it now. Should be able to give an update in 5 mins...

EDIT: Well, it's not Sophos. Uninstalled it on the test PC and still got the same problem. The weird thing is that it's not a bunch of files getting hammered, it's just the root programs folder on the start menu, e.g. /export/menus/Staff/Start Menu/Programs. I can see the individual files and folders pop up on the BUI analytics when I mouse over them, but they just read once then they're done. /export/menus/Staff/Start Menu/Programs sits there getting hammered after it's been opened once, even if the start menu is closed. Time to start killing services and processes...

EDIT 2: Alarms are going on site in a minute so I gotta run. No joy so far, even after killing off pretty much everything. I got SAN usage to dip a little when I killed some of the processes, but after giving it a few seconds it was back up to the normal level.

Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 25th November 2009 at 05:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Broken link somewhere in the root and windows is try to resolve it?

If this were a folder other than a start menu, I'd be looking for a corrupt Thumbs.db

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Broken link somewhere in the root and windows is try to resolve it?

If this were a folder other than a start menu, I'd be looking for a corrupt Thumbs.db
    Nothing obvious and certainly nothing that's changed recently. We do have some broken links (although not in the root) because some software is only installed in certain places. However, this has always been the case so is nothing new...

EDIT: Beer time, I'll let you guys know tomorrow if I get it sorted.

Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 25th November 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Thank Post
    It seems strange that one Windows client could hammer the SAN across the network, i'm assuming when your testing that it's still killing the SAN.

Thank Post
    The SAN itself is actually running okay performance-wise and no one's noticed anything, probably because the traffic isn't hitting the disks, just network and CPU. I don't know exactly what NtTransact is but it doesn't seem to be doing any major reads or writes.

It looks like all staff PCs with a member of staff logged onto them (thus getting the staff start menu, students don't seem to be affected) are hitting it. Andy from Cutter's dropping by later for something else, might see if he has any ideas.

Chris

Thank Post
    Any mac clients? Although I have seen smb requests do the same to samba on OS X on many occasions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Any mac clients? Although I have seen smb requests do the same to samba on OS X on many occasions.
    Nope, all XP SP3.

I've just removed all the shortcuts that were in the root of the 'programs' folder but it's made no difference so far. Fun and games...

Thank Post
    The SAN itself is actually running okay performance-wise and no one's noticed anything, probably because the traffic isn't hitting the disks, just network and CPU. I don't know exactly what NtTransact is but it doesn't seem to be doing any major reads or writes.

It looks like all staff PCs with a member of staff logged onto them (thus getting the staff start menu, students don't seem to be affected) are hitting it. Andy from Cutter's dropping by later for something else, might see if he has any ideas.

Chris
    Give a test staff account a brand new blank start menu with just a link to notepad in, see what happens?

Thank Post
    Nope, all XP SP3.

I've just removed all the shortcuts that were in the root of the 'programs' folder but it's made no difference so far. Fun and games...
    Has the storage box been rebooted? I found once the smbd process crashes it will spawn replacement ones constantly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast