+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Smartboard - very odd issue in Technical; I have a new smartboard, and it has been wonderful up to this point. All of a sudden, within the ...

Thank Post

Smartboard - very odd issue

I have a new smartboard, and it has been wonderful up to this point. All of a sudden, within the last week, I have this issue. You open notebook and start drawing, ( I teach physics and chemistry) and draw quite a bit on the board.

So I have a pen in hand, and while drawing it will suddenly switch to the pointer. If I do not notice this, then my drawing moves on the board. So I tap the pen button at the top again and start drawing again. Then it switches to the pointer again..and so on and so on.

I have triied recalibrating, and do not know what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Shannon

Thank Post
    Is there a dodgy tray switch, have a look at the indicator lights on the pen trays. Our kids would be giggling as soon as it started to happen, are yours awake?

Thank Post
    worth checking the cable that connects teh pen tray to the board is in tight as some can be fairly loose and drop out making the pen tray non functional and reverting pointer back to mouse rather than pen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    New Smartboards have something called Touch Recognition

It allows you to write with a pen, erase with your palm and move objects with your finger without the need to pickup / put down up extra tools.

There are calibration settings withing the Smartboard control panel to set the sensitivity.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another thing to check is if there is anything in the pen tray near the sensor.
    Had a similar problem where some grit had got into the sensor and kept making the board think that the pen had been replaced.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biotechlady View Post
    I have a new smartboard, and it has been wonderful up to this point. All of a sudden, within the last week, I have this issue. You open notebook and start drawing, ( I teach physics and chemistry) and draw quite a bit on the board.

So I have a pen in hand, and while drawing it will suddenly switch to the pointer. If I do not notice this, then my drawing moves on the board. So I tap the pen button at the top again and start drawing again. Then it switches to the pointer again..and so on and so on.

I have triied recalibrating, and do not know what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Shannon

I have had two teachers tell me this is happening to there boards but when i test them i cannot recreate the problem.

I will look at the Touch recon stuff.

i guess the teachers are not nutz after all

Thank Post
    I had a problem like this with a board. The pens were worn down and so had less of a point. Sometimes it was detected as a finger press rather than a pen. You then become frustrated and press harder making the problem worse. In the end a new set of pens was the answer. This means that the boards will need replacement pens far more often.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    The brains of a Smart whiteboard are in the pen tray which you can ditach without a screwdriver. It slides onto two brackets then clicks into place. You can do this on all newer grey Smart whiteboards. I don't believe you can do this on the older black Smart whiteboards

You could try switching with another tray temporarily and see if the problem still exists. If it doesn't then it could be faulty. The tray can be replaced under the three year warranty.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Is there a dodgy tray switch, have a look at the indicator lights on the pen trays. Our kids would be giggling as soon as it started to happen, are yours awake?
    They are awake and some giggle, but mostly they get frustrated like I do.

The pens are working normally. I had another teacher who has worked with them for 3 years now come in and he said the pens are working normally, and this issue he had not seen before. When you pick up green, the green light comes on and so on with the other pens...it is just when you are writing it will revert over to the pointer.

I will check out some other responses and see if the settings are off or something. It was working fine, and no one else in the district is having this issue...so yes, it would figure it was me.

Thanks for all the responses, and if there are other ideas, please let me know. And I will let you know what does fix it for me. Thanks, I am glad I found this board.

Shannon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    New Smartboards have something called Touch Recognition

It allows you to write with a pen, erase with your palm and move objects with your finger without the need to pickup / put down up extra tools.

There are calibration settings withing the Smartboard control panel to set the sensitivity.
    That looks like my board, and they are brand new as of October...so where do I need to go to do this adjusting?
    I ask this, because I do not want to do more damage in my trial and errors. IF you know what I mean.

Thank you

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    I've not got access to a Smartboard but will check first thing tomorrow.

Thank Post
    This is the informatin given to me by Smart themselves, and so far it seems to be working.

Thanks for everyones help.

Thanks for contacting SMART Technologies Technical Support

To adjust the sensitivity of the pen, finger and eraser modes in touch recognition settings

Click start> All Programs > SMART Technologies > SMART Board Driver > Control Panel > SMART Hardware Settings > Mouse and Gesture Setting > Choose enable touch recognition > Click touch recognition settings

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread