+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Friends Computer Build in Technical; Honestly, spend another tenner and get a 500gb Samsung F3 hard drive. Will decrease loading times and give you 3 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, spend another tenner and get a 500gb Samsung F3 hard drive. Will decrease loading times and give you 3 times more storage for next to nothing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Honestly, spend another tenner and get a 500gb Samsung F3 hard drive. Will decrease loading times and give you 3 times more storage for next to nothing.
    I always heard bad things about samsung hard drives and there reliability saying that I wouldnt go for a maxtor drive either even if its be rebadged with seagate on it, personally i stick to Western Digital and havent has a drive fail as of yet

Thank Post
    Do you really want old ram? Go for newer DDR2 if you must, though id take the ddr3 route?
    Also why not get an ATI radeon 49 series?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread is getting a little interesting. "Build a computer by committee". I wonder what type of frankenstein monstroisity we'll end up with?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thumbs up for the Samsung F3, putting in a load of other decent components and being held back by the slowest part even more so will be just darn frustrating!
    £15 is nothing in the context of things.

That and if using Windows 7, try your hardest to get 4 gig ram! You know it makes sense

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    Thumbs up for the Samsung F3, putting in a load of other decent components and being held back by the slowest part even more so will be just darn frustrating!
    £15 is nothing in the context of things.

That and if using Windows 7, try your hardest to get 4 gig ram! You know it makes sense
    Read around about a lot of forums ref the samsung drives and although they are fast and pretty silent they don't last as long and also the firmware on the drives themselves helps to a degree.

If you are after speed and have the cash then an SSD would be in order along with DDR 3 ram and personally I would go with an nvidia but the ATI's seem pretty good for bang for the buck ie value and performance ie the 5970
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 24th November 2009 at 10:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Is it really worth building PCs these days? Especially for friends! I used to build them back when you could still save a few hundred quid by DIYing it, but the amount of support, problems with individual components that turn out to not quite like each other and other randomness is a real PITA.

For £229 you could pick up Extra Value Desktop PC, Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, No OS PC - pre built so warranty issues and support covered. I bought one of these, threw a 500w PSU in and an ATI 4830 and ended up with a lovely little budget games machine for £300. Has a nice shiny case too if you have magpie tendencies. Alternatively, save an extra £50 then get AMD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, ATI HD4870, NO OS - wish they'd had that one when I set mine up a few months ago!
    Last edited by OutToLunch; 24th November 2009 at 10:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    Is it really worth building PCs these days? Especially for friends! I used to build them back when you could still save a few hundred quid by DIYing it, but the amount of support, problems with individual components that turn out to not quite like each other and other randomness is a real PITA.

For £229 you could pick up Zoostorm Desktop PC - Desktops at Ebuyer - pre built so warranty issues and support covered. I bought one of these, threw a 500w PSU in and an ATI 4830 and ended up with a lovely little budget games machine for £300. Alternatively, save an extra £50 then get Ebuyer Extra Value Advanced Gaming Desktop PC - Desktops at Ebuyer - wish they'd had that one when I set mine up a few months ago!
    Old RAM, Old GFX, Good but not great CPU and no OS? Hardly a brilliant Advanced Gaming machine? Is better then my current one though.

Thank Post
    I agree its not any cheaper at the lower end of the market, but what you do get is quality componants rather than the cheapest (and generally 1 or 2 generations out of date) tthe manufacturer could find. Once you start getting to teh higher end, or you want something like a decent gfx card thats where you can still save £100s. Most proper gaming PCs start at around £1500 where as you can build one for around £800.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato-Peeler View Post
    Old RAM, Old GFX, Good but not great CPU and no OS? Hardly a brilliant Advanced Gaming machine? Is better then my current one though.
    Don't want much for your money do you? I couldn't build the super budget one for less, maybe you could scrape £20-40 off the advanced one but then you have your friend ringing you up every weekend to ask you inane questions or moan that it won't play the latest game on silly resolutions, he changed the drivers and now everything crashes etc etc. The OPs original list had no OS included in the price either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Never come across Arbico before - are they any good? I like the idea of pre customising it so I don't even get the blame when the graphics card I add for someone after my basic £229 PC plays up! Used to use the CCL one to do similar, but they got a little bit less competitive on price...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used them for my mums home PC, that was 2 years ago and its still running fantastically. They are a cut price version of alienware, with MUCH better support!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oddly enough in recent times we;ve seen more hardware failures from new WD and HDS drives then Samsung. Most Samsung "problems" have in fact been to do with compatibility of their chipset (firmware repairable) with certain chipset motherboards (p35 noteably - especially on Gigabyte hardware).

Either way, for anyone sensible it's a non issue - nice long warranty terms help with that. Maxtor drives are still ruddy shoddy despite Seagate having taken over - it would appear they might own the names but haven't transferred any of their manufacturing knowhow. Shame really, Maxtor really were at the forefront 20 years ago along with Seagate.

I don't think I'd be allowed to give numbers on failure rates unfortunately - however these numbers mean I will never, ever recommend or buy anything Maxtor or Kingston

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12