+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Encrypted USB Memory Sticks - Pros & Cons in Technical; Originally Posted by aptproductions I'm thinking that I might go down the AES route with a "this is your password ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I'm thinking that I might go down the AES route with a "this is your password - keep it safe, if you change it, keep that safe, if you don't all I can do is reset your drive and you will lose anything you haven't backed up" and get them to sign an agreement on it.
    Approval from On High permitting, I think that is going to be my response, too...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Approval from On High permitting, I think that is going to be my response, too...
    Well, up high seem to approve of and trust me here, so I'm sure with a bit of explaining they will allow it! for me!

Thank Post
    Well, up high seem to approve of and trust me here, so I'm sure with a bit of explaining they will allow it! for me!
    Similar here. I have concerns, which they will no doubt share, about insisting people use a solution which we then won't support, but the price difference between that and a managed solution might just tip the balance.

One could potentially argue that we don't force people to use pen drives, merely insist that they encrypt them if they do. Not sure that would fly though!

Thank Post
    I'll let you know how I get on, about to go and have a chat with the head now!

Thank Post
    We use these which are working well, but we're gradually moving over to secure online systems anyway. Our (few) Mac users just work online.

Thank Post
    Any reason the software on those Integral drives can't be used on any drive? I would, if at all possible, like to avoid having to buy every staff member a pen drive...

Thank Post
    Has anyone come accross this Safestick encrypted usb stick (SafeStick Encrypted USB Stick) apparently it has the option to use a web based console (SafeStick Management console SafeConsole) for management that can also be linked to active directory.

I am just starting to research encrypted memory sticks, my main issue with the software based systems is that you can't use them on computers that have been locked down. They may be alright for use in house where the software has already been preinstalled, but take them to another school that haven't and you are out of luck.

What I haven't found out yet is if the hardware encrypted sticks require software to be installed aswell or is it just a case of an executable file on the drive being run each time the drive is used. If the latter I assume it will also have problems being used on computers that have had autorun disabled and restricted to stop exe files being run from unauthorised locations such as removable drives.

Thank Post
    Yeah, I'm looking at the Intergral Crypto Drives.

And HT in a meeting, I always seem to go up at the wrong time, or she has a sensor that says "Andy wants to spend some money .. I'll just ignore him" lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Any reason the software on those Integral drives can't be used on any drive? I would, if at all possible, like to avoid having to buy every staff member a pen drive...
    Hardware encrytion is built into the device. The software is just a means to access it and wouldn't be supported on regular sticks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HilcrRWise View Post
    What I haven't found out yet is if the hardware encrypted sticks require software to be installed aswell or is it just a case of an executable file on the drive being run each time the drive is used. If the latter I assume it will also have problems being used on computers that have had autorun disabled and restricted to stop exe files being run from unauthorised locations such as removable drives.
    They usually mount a virtual CD drive. If autorun is disable you can still navigate to the drive to run the required software provided you haven't set other policies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HilcrRWise View Post
    Has anyone come accross this Safestick encrypted usb stick (SafeStick Encrypted USB Stick) apparently it has the option to use a web based console (SafeStick Management console SafeConsole) for management that can also be linked to active directory.
    They look nice, pricey, but if it means being able to have better control over the data stored then ... Doubt out HT will go for those though (want minimum 4GB so looking at £90 a pop with a minimum order level of 10 from somewhere such as Misco).

Thank Post
    Hi All
    Right, I'm looking to get a new stock of USB Pen Drives in school (as I've run out of spare ones now) and I know that encrypted is probably the best way to go, given you can tell staff members not to store pupil data on non-secure devices, but they still will, so I thought, encrypted drives then they have to.
    Be prepared for the usual raft of teachers who hit the limit on the encrypted sticks and start chucking other stuff on their other ones because it's more convenient than sorting their data. I have teachers here who routinely carry 5 or 6 sticks between 4 and 8 gig each in order to carry all of their stuff.

Now, preferably looking at Hardward Encrypted Drives, but the problem (as we all know) is passwords, therefore I'm wondering what thoughts are for and against encrypted drives, and whether people know of any decent managed systems for encrypted drives, which obviously have their perks.
    Hardware encrypted ones usually have built in password policies that force use of numbers, caps and/or special symbols. Something to bear in mind if you deal with numpties...

Some types of stick (such as Sandisk) have optional server based software from which you may be able to enforce different settings, but without this, teachers will be able to change the password once you hand over the stick (which is fine if they tell you what it is, and a disaster if they forget). I make a point of setting one and telling them not to change it - one warning about potentially losing all their work is usually enough to put them off the idea.

Check to make sure that the stick actually does what you want when the protection procedures kick in. Most will force a reformat of the drive, leaving it usable. Others such as the Sandisk Enterprise will completely disable themselves leaving you with a useless lump of plastic.

You should also check what happens when you plug it into a machine that has just had a service pack applied to it. We have the Enterprise sticks. Worked fine on an XP with SP2 install straight from the disc. Added SP3 and they stopped working. Spent ages trying to figure out a fix, only way was to plug the stick in and log into it, leave the stick in, then run the service pack update.

Got a few DataSafe sticks too from RM. Actually have a stronger password policy than the Sandisk ones but operate in the same way. 23 quid for a 4gig jobbie.

13. Thanks to Busybub from:

soveryapt (19th November 2009)

SLB

Thank Post
    <Post deleted due to it being unauthorised advertising>

Dos_Box
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 23rd November 2009 at 10:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Give us a shout for Safetick quotes and we beat pro-brand prices

Thank Post
    Toby at Probrand can get me 2gb SafeStick at £20 and 4gb at £30, i haven't found anyone cheaper, can you beat it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast