+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Where do you get your projectors Repaired? in Technical; Hello Folks I've got a pair of old Epson EMP-S1 projectors which have the dimmest image in the world dispite ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Where do you get your projectors Repaired?

Hello Folks

I've got a pair of old Epson EMP-S1 projectors which have the dimmest image in the world dispite having a new bulb put in them.

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who could take a look at them for me, or give my any ideas why they are doing this.

Thanks

.Adam

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    isnt that usually because the mirrors are burnt out or need cleaning......i think you'll probably find its cheaper to buy a new projector.

Thank Post
    You could go down the path or projector cleaning? There are contracts available or just replace the projector I guess, would have to look at the value, if you have a fair few projectors it may be worth while if not just swap it out for a proj with 3yr lamp warranty/3yr de-reinstall.

You should be cleaning projectors regular anyhow though - it can void warranties if you dont.

Adam

Thank Post
    We have given up trying to get projectors repaired when the image goes as you describe. I have had quotes of >£200 to do a full strip down & clean of projectors and that's before any parts are replaced, always assuming you can get them.

As we have a regular program for cleaning projector filters I usually 'blame' the teachers for not switching them off & ask SMT for money to replace them with new ones

(As our caretakers are always complaining to me about projectors being left on after staff have gone home, I have allies if I need one to back me up)
    Last edited by broc; 17th November 2009 at 11:48 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    I have rolling replacement 3 year program as i find that is about the max before the prism mechanism starts to deteriorate and the deep clean needed costs anywhere from standard £90 to £200. As projectors only cost arounf the £250 mark for basic ones then it is just as cheap to replace.

As has been said this is purely down to Teachers leaving them on. I have noticed now that RJ45 LAN conection is standard on some models and that you can now boot up and shutdown with specific software packages.

Will be looking into this sometime.

6. Thanks to bossman from:

Sylv3r (17th November 2009)

Thank Post
    If you're going to bin them - might be worth ripping them apart and having a go at cleaning them yourself - we've done this with a few and as long as you're careful and don't un-align the prism they usually go back fine... just use lots of hand drawn diagrams and note which direction all the filters face...

RwD

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Again I don't go with cleaning as its too expensive. Our strategy is to go for projectors with 3yr lamp warranty and plan to replace when this runs out. Anything over this is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I have noticed now that RJ45 LAN conection is standard on some models and that you can now boot up and shutdown with specific software packages.

Yeah we are thinking of going down that route. Handily our whiteboard installers cabled up the roof next to the projector with RJ45 ports just in case.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Yeah we are thinking of going down that route. Handily our whiteboard installers cabled up the roof next to the projector with RJ45 ports just in case.
    Nice one

Thank Post
    Don't bin them just yet, I've just started internally cleaning them because of the samne reason, its only a dust build up. You'll be surprised at the difference it will make. Its quite easy to do and nothing really technical, just take photos or nots of what goes where. Go on try it especially if you were going to bin them, what have you got to loose! Don one yesterday that had a big blue blush at the bottom of the screen, been told to bin a projector at thet stage before, so stripped it and cleaned it out and turns out it was just a 'clump' of dust on one of the internal screens, back up now and as good as new. Can't afford to replace them that easily I'm afraid.

11. Thanks to TechSupp from:

fawkers (18th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Chucking them is another show of the throw away culture of Consumerism. Better to buy new than fix . This is the nature of IT tech i guess but i do hate seeing good kit skipped cause a new one is just a bit more to buy than fix or the kit is out of date (still works).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I have rolling replacement 3 year program as i find that is about the max before the prism mechanism starts to deteriorate and the deep clean needed costs anywhere from standard £90 to £200. As projectors only cost arounf the £250 mark for basic ones then it is just as cheap to replace.

As has been said this is purely down to Teachers leaving them on. I have noticed now that RJ45 LAN conection is standard on some models and that you can now boot up and shutdown with specific software packages.

Likewise, just got 7 new sanyo projectors with the RJ45 port. I've not seen any software in with the projectors so I am not sure if this is an added cost. I'll let you do some research and ask you when you've finished Cheers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone, i'm going to try a 'self repair' and see how it goes on the plus side the the bursar said we can get new ones anyway.

.Adam

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjamez View Post
    Chucking them is another show of the throw away culture of Consumerism. Better to buy new than fix . This is the nature of IT tech i guess but i do hate seeing good kit skipped cause a new one is just a bit more to buy than fix or the kit is out of date (still works).
    Me too. Its a horrible, wasteful culture. Mostly imposed by greedy companies who either dont make spares available, or if they do, make them cost almost as much as a new product.

Though people with the attitude that its better to spend a bit more and buy a replacement annoy me too. If its an ancient piece of kit, fair enough. If its a year old laptop with a smashed screen and the new screen costs half as much as the laptop, surely that is worth fixing?? Yet I've had arguments with colleagues in the past who would rather buy a new one.

Anyway, good tip about cleaning projectors - I didnt think anything could be done when they had dimmed that much. We too have been told by suppliers that the only thing to do is to 'bin them'

Thank Post
    I've put some basic instructions for you with photos on this link Cleaning the Sanyo PLC-XE40 projector and also added the official service guide which take you through the dismantle procedure step by step. Does not tell you how to clean then but when you see all the dust you will know where the problem is!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread