+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Ram for Dell Poweredge SC1430 in Technical; Hi Folks Hoping you can clear something up for me as I dont want to mess up an order and ...
    Thank Post

Ram for Dell Poweredge SC1430

Hi Folks

Hoping you can clear something up for me as I dont want to mess up an order and I know someone can answer this really quickly.

We have a dell poweredge sc1430. It currently does everything in our school, its dc, sims server, file server, print server etc. It currently has only 2gb of ram which Im looking to upgrade. Now I went onto the crucial website and got back that it needed 240pin ddr2 pc2 5200.

So I went onto misco and had a look and came up with this:

Kingston Dell Equivalent 1Gb PC5300 DDR2 DDR - Misco.co.uk

I sent them a message to check it was compatible and they got back to me to say that it wasnt becuase I needed to buy a pair.....now this was fine as i wanted 2 anyway but they said I needed this:

KINGSTON Memory/2GB Kit of 2pcs Dell PowerEdge 195 - Misco.co.uk

Now usually I would risk it for a biscuit but being as its our main dc etc I wanted to run it by some others.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

On a seperate note about the same server, it has a free slot for another cpu. Now does anyone know if I need to match the current cpu or can I just chuck in a cpu with the correct socket. Is there anything extra I need to know about having more than 1 physical cpu before I give it a go.

Again thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 956 Posts
    RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com

You should be able to use the manual selector or scan my system and it will come up with the correct RAM and give you all info you require

Quote Originally Posted by titch View Post
    On a seperate note about the same server, it has a free slot for another cpu. Now does anyone know if I need to match the current cpu or can I just chuck in a cpu with the correct socket. Is there anything extra I need to know about having more than 1 physical cpu before I give it a go.

Again thanks
    Not sure ref the cpu side of things but would be good to find out
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 10th November 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks, I did do this though and with the information I got from it I searched my usual suppliers for the best price and came back with the links in my prevous post. The problem was that the supplier then came back to me to say the item I had picked was incompatible with my system which then confused me.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com

You should be able to use the manual selector or scan my system and it will come up with the correct RAM and give you all info you require

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 956 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by titch View Post
    Thanks, I did do this though and with the information I got from it I searched my usual suppliers for the best price and came back with the links in my prevous post. The problem was that the supplier then came back to me to say the item I had picked was incompatible with my system which then confused me.
    I would find it on the crucial website and also use a system info tool such as SIW or Everest

SIW From SIW | System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topala or everest ( trial version ) from Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management

And also cross reference what these utils say about the memory type with what the crucial website is stating and then call them back and if the sys info tools confirm what the crucial website states then there is a good chance the person on the other end is wrong however if it conflicts then will need to investigate further which you should be able to find the specs of your server on dells website which should confirm the type of memory it requires.

5. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

titch (11th November 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread