+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Hardware Thread, Ram for Dell Poweredge SC1430 in Technical; Hi Folks Hoping you can clear something up for me as I dont want to mess up an order and ...
  1. #1
    titch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    168
    Thank Post
    101
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Ram for Dell Poweredge SC1430

    Hi Folks

    Hoping you can clear something up for me as I dont want to mess up an order and I know someone can answer this really quickly.

    We have a dell poweredge sc1430. It currently does everything in our school, its dc, sims server, file server, print server etc. It currently has only 2gb of ram which Im looking to upgrade. Now I went onto the crucial website and got back that it needed 240pin ddr2 pc2 5200.

    So I went onto misco and had a look and came up with this:

    Kingston Dell Equivalent 1Gb PC5300 DDR2 DDR - Misco.co.uk

    I sent them a message to check it was compatible and they got back to me to say that it wasnt becuase I needed to buy a pair.....now this was fine as i wanted 2 anyway but they said I needed this:

    KINGSTON Memory/2GB Kit of 2pcs Dell PowerEdge 195 - Misco.co.uk

    Now usually I would risk it for a biscuit but being as its our main dc etc I wanted to run it by some others.

    Any help would be massively appreciated.


    On a seperate note about the same server, it has a free slot for another cpu. Now does anyone know if I need to match the current cpu or can I just chuck in a cpu with the correct socket. Is there anything extra I need to know about having more than 1 physical cpu before I give it a go.

    Again thanks

  2. #2

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,211
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 956 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com

    You should be able to use the manual selector or scan my system and it will come up with the correct RAM and give you all info you require

    Quote Originally Posted by titch View Post
    On a seperate note about the same server, it has a free slot for another cpu. Now does anyone know if I need to match the current cpu or can I just chuck in a cpu with the correct socket. Is there anything extra I need to know about having more than 1 physical cpu before I give it a go.

    Again thanks
    Not sure ref the cpu side of things but would be good to find out
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 10th November 2009 at 05:53 PM.

  3. #3
    titch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    168
    Thank Post
    101
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Thanks, I did do this though and with the information I got from it I searched my usual suppliers for the best price and came back with the links in my prevous post. The problem was that the supplier then came back to me to say the item I had picked was incompatible with my system which then confused me.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com

    You should be able to use the manual selector or scan my system and it will come up with the correct RAM and give you all info you require

  4. #4

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,211
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 956 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by titch View Post
    Thanks, I did do this though and with the information I got from it I searched my usual suppliers for the best price and came back with the links in my prevous post. The problem was that the supplier then came back to me to say the item I had picked was incompatible with my system which then confused me.
    I would find it on the crucial website and also use a system info tool such as SIW or Everest

    SIW From SIW | System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topala or everest ( trial version ) from Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management

    And also cross reference what these utils say about the memory type with what the crucial website is stating and then call them back and if the sys info tools confirm what the crucial website states then there is a good chance the person on the other end is wrong however if it conflicts then will need to investigate further which you should be able to find the specs of your server on dells website which should confirm the type of memory it requires.

  5. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

    titch (11th November 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [For Sale] Dell Poweredge 1600SC
    By andyturpie in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th October 2009, 10:54 AM
  2. [Wanted] Dell Poweredge 2650
    By FN-GM in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14th February 2009, 02:19 PM
  3. Dell Poweredge 1800
    By ahuxham in forum Windows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 3rd September 2008, 09:30 PM
  4. Dell Poweredge RAD problem??
    By markman in forum Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th June 2008, 02:03 PM
  5. Anyone got Dell Poweredge servers?
    By sidewinder in forum Hardware
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 4th October 2006, 08:08 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •