+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Windows equivalent to Macbook in Technical; I was killing a few minutes driving between schools yesterday and popped into PC World to look at their latops ...
    Thank Post

Windows equivalent to Macbook

I was killing a few minutes driving between schools yesterday and popped into PC World to look at their latops (not that I would ever buy one from there) and was drawn towards the MacBook Pro (13")

I loved the design of the MacBook (and indeed all the Macs) - they are candy for the eyes. I am also looking for something lighter than my current laptop - a 2 year old Acer Aspire 5920 (which also looks dated and ugly).

Are there any Windows laptops that come close to the beauty of the Mac? The price doesn't bother me (much) but I hate the thought of ditching Windows and having to learn a new OS and buy all new software (I teach so I need an office suite etc).

I did try last year moving to Ubuntu and couldn't get on with OpenOffice (compatibility) and I was missing too many key pieces of Windows software that I was used to using. I realise MacOS has much better software support but is still very much the underdog to Windows when it comes to volume of applications.

Any suggestions or feedback welcomed

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post
    I was killing a few minutes driving between schools yesterday and popped into PC World to look at their latops (not that I would ever buy one from there) and was drawn towards the MacBook Pro (13")

I loved the design of the MacBook (and indeed all the Macs) - they are candy for the eyes. I am also looking for something lighter than my current laptop - a 2 year old Acer Aspire 5920 (which also looks dated and ugly).

Are there any Windows laptops that come close to the beauty of the Mac? The price doesn't bother me (much) but I hate the thought of ditching Windows and having to learn a new OS and buy all new software (I teach so I need an office suite etc).

I did try last year moving to Ubuntu and couldn't get on with OpenOffice (compatibility) and I was missing too many key pieces of Windows software that I was used to using. I realise MacOS has much better software support but is still very much the underdog to Windows when it comes to volume of applications.

Any suggestions or feedback welcomed
    You could buy a mac and dualboot it using Bootcamp, VMWare Fusion or Parallels. This will enable you to learn in your own time the MacOS but to also comfortably use an image of Windows XP / Windows 7 etc for your day to day software.

3. 2 Thanks to Sylv3r:

fiendishlyclever (6th November 2009), mac_shinobi (6th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    You could buy a mac and dualboot it using Bootcamp, VMWare Fusion or Parallels. This will enable you to learn in your own time the MacOS but to also comfortably use an image of Windows XP / Windows 7 etc for your day to day software.
    That's what I would say and I won't say more then that

5. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

fiendishlyclever (7th November 2009)

t_h
    Thank Post

7. Thanks to t_h from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 721 Posts

9. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by t_h View Post
    The music puts me off and checked a few reviews , specs are good ie ssd, ddr3 ram etc etc but that stand at the back would just get in my way and annoy the outta me

Just my own opinion and a touch screen slider - if that stops working ( ie you knock it or smack the touch sensitive part ) then how do you open your laptop ?

11. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts

13. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Thank Post
    I have just had a look too, whilst the adamo looks really nice, if it was my money I would buy the Mac just because you can have the best of both worlds.

If you do work with media, i.e. photoshop, movies and audio I dont think you can beat a Mac. They are that good.

Especially if you have a new generation camcorder which utilises HDD or SD features, something as simple as iMovie just WORKS with a Mac, its a bit of a fiddle with PC applications. Thats just my view anyway.

You could have the best of 3 worlds, Mac, windows and Linux.

15. Thanks to ranj from:

t_h
    Thank Post
    I must admit I just like the look of the Adamo - never used one so can't really offer a solid recommendation.

I think going with the MacBook is probably a good idea. I have one myself and they are great machines, although I'm not sure how well Windows 7 works with Bootcamp so you'd have to look into it.

I dual booted Vista Ultimate on the last generation plastic MacBook for a long time and while it worked well enough I found the trackpad wasn't anywhere near as sensitive and usable as when booted into OSX. Generally the driver support was very good it was just little things like that that took the shine off it.

17. Thanks to t_h from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread