+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Action plan in Technical; Originally Posted by CSI_Leasing What's the maintenance like on these? And how long does it take for a class to ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CSI_Leasing View Post
    What's the maintenance like on these? And how long does it take for a class to log-on / log-off - would that not almost take up the entire lesson?!
    Why would an older machine take longer to log on than any other machine?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I gave up doing my action plans at my old school. Not alot I could do with £4K and most of that went on toner and paper.

Has anyone got an example Action Plan for a Secondary School they would not mind me borrowing for myself here. Not done one for many years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver View Post
    I gave up doing my action plans at my old school. Not alot I could do with £4K and most of that went on toner and paper.

Has anyone got an example Action Plan for a Secondary School they would not mind me borrowing for myself here. Not done one for many years.
    I haven't got a budget that I can spend. There is provision in the school's budget for toner purchases, but, for any hardware I want, I have always had to go cap in hand.

Things changed with an HDD failure on the server last summer. I had been jumping up and down for over a year saying we need to be planning to replace the server (and we only have 1, so there's no fall back here)

The HDD failure suddenly made those in power (including the governors) realise that maybe they did need to plan some expenditure... hence my plan.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CSI_Leasing View Post
    This is staggering! What's the maintenance like on these? And how long does it take for a class to log-on / log-off - would that not almost take up the entire lesson?!
    Actually the hardware maintenance isn't too bad. They're indestructible, or they would have been replaced years ago!

The real issue is the performance. They take about 5-10 mins to boot and a further 10 mins for a student to log on. Even worse if they haven't ben run for a while and automatic updates and Sophos start updating after boot.

Anyway, I got the bid. My slide presentation to the governors was wrecked by a slow computer, which helped prove the point. By going for a mixture of terminal services, thin clients, remote access, and a load of 2nd hand stuff from ICT-Direct, I cut over £20,000 off the bid which swung it.

5. Thanks to OverWorked from:

john (11th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Why would an older machine take longer to log on than any other machine?

--
    David Hicks
    David,

Believe me it does. The machine has to do a lot of processing, apart from just loading the profile. There's connecting to mapped drives and printers, processing the GPOs, and MS only knows what else.

You're welcome to come round here and watch - it's a depressing spectacle.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    Actually the hardware maintenance isn't too bad. They're indestructible, or they would have been replaced years ago!

The real issue is the performance. They take about 5-10 mins to boot and a further 10 mins for a student to log on. Even worse if they haven't ben run for a while and automatic updates and Sophos start updating after boot.

Anyway, I got the bid. My slide presentation to the governors was wrecked by a slow computer, which helped prove the point. By going for a mixture of terminal services, thin clients, remote access, and a load of 2nd hand stuff from ICT-Direct, I cut over £20,000 off the bid which swung it.
    Congratulations My turn next, got 10 year planning in a couple of weeks time to start plotting the damage, going to look at a similar thing, thin clients, refurb kit from ICT Direct (John is an amazing guy! I owe a lot to him for his help today, not many firms you can call up and say I'm setting off now can I have that PC in 1hr!)

8. Thanks to john from:

bossman (12th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    @chrbb.. your action plan sound s very much like mine, produced last summer:

Summer 2010: new 2008 server to succeed current 2003 server (installed Jan 2006)
    Summer 2011: Replace ICT Suite machine with Win 7 kit
    Summer 2012: Replace all the other PCs

I've also built in a rotation of projector replacements over the next 5 years.
    Are you sure we're not the same person?

Will you be installing configuring the server youself?

Thank Post
    Working on a new whole school plan here too. Thinking of droping our current 5 year lease and going it year by year for much more flexibility.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @chrbb:

I have 2 curriculum servers which I have had for 8 years now and they are still going strong. I do have plans to move onto another platform which is in the wings waiting for verification before finalisation and deployment whole school.

I would just say if it ain't broke then don't fix it but I do have a 5 year rolling plan which so far has worked very well with all other hardware but within this structure I have allowed the servers to go past this as they are not causing any problems at the moment.

Thank Post
    @bossman Are you running server 2003?

I'm hoping our server will last 4+ years but I have to include in the budget plans at some point, because if it fails we will have to find a large amount of money suddenly. So my plan is to include it in next years but only replace it if neccessary (in theory)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12