+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, USB modem in South Africa in Technical; I will be travelling out to SA in February to work with some schools and various 'child centric' projects. Anyone ...

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post

USB modem in South Africa

I will be travelling out to SA in February to work with some schools and various 'child centric' projects.
    Anyone know if i can get a USB modem out there, maybe Pay as You Go for a month only? Or preferably just a Sim card as I have a BT USB modem.

It's been 3 years since my last trip and I'm way behind with the technology out there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,091 Posts
    My colleague, Ulkary, says

" I don't know about the sims cards, but the USB modems you can."

Apparently, South Africa was quick to launch the use of 3G cards when they first became available so they are definitely up with the technology.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    My colleague, Ulkary, says

" I don't know about the sims cards, but the USB modems you can."

Apparently, South Africa was quick to launch the use of 3G cards when they first became available so they are definitely up with the technology.
    Thanks. Does he/she know where I can get these online, Telkomsa is not the best of sites to look on.
    Last edited by creese; 28th October 2009 at 12:23 PM.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Ant

Thank Post
    Should be able to get what you're after without issues. Vodacom do have a pay and go service but not sure on the charges and coverage. There are plenty of Vodacom/MTN/CellC (Although I would stick with Vodacom or MTN) etc shops around when you get there. Should be able to pick up a pre pay sim without any issues. I believe they top them up the same as the phone top ups, ie just go into a shop and they give you a receipt with a top up code.

Worth having a look on these sites:

Vodacom Broadband

iBurst Mobile Broadband Internet Access

iBurst was quicker for me while I was out there, but not sure if they have any short term contracts. Unfortunately don't know much more about the costs as they weren't my connections.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Should be able to get what you're after without issues. Vodacom do have a pay and go service but not sure on the charges and coverage. There are plenty of Vodacom/MTN/CellC (Although I would stick with Vodacom or MTN) etc shops around when you get there. Should be able to pick up a pre pay sim without any issues. I believe they top them up the same as the phone top ups, ie just go into a shop and they give you a receipt with a top up code.

Worth having a look on these sites:

Vodacom Broadband

iBurst Mobile Broadband Internet Access

iBurst was quicker for me while I was out there, but not sure if they have any short term contracts. Unfortunately don't know much more about the costs as they weren't my connections.
    Looks promising. I may have to visit a large town early in the visit. We are out in the wilds and the shops are restaurants and touristy types.

Ant

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Looks promising. I may have to visit a large town early in the visit. We are out in the wilds and the shops are restaurants and touristy types.
    You should be okay, The airports usually have a small Vodacom shop or two. You'd also be quite surprised where you might find shops like this, they can pop up everywhere.

Where abouts in SA are you heading?

Thank Post
    Where abouts in SA are you heading?
    I'm staying in The Free State, Clarens. It's my 5th trip but I've not been well enough to travel for 3 years so I'm a bit behind with the technology there. Bethlehem is the nearest large town and I've found a shop there that may be useful.

Ant

Thank Post
    I'm staying in The Free State, Clarens. It's my 5th trip but I've not been well enough to travel for 3 years so I'm a bit behind with the technology there. Bethlehem is the nearest large town and I've found a shop there that may be useful.
    That's not an area I've been to, although that's not far from where I was born and grew up in Newcastle, Kwa-Zulu Natal.

The technology is still behind out there, but not as bad as it could be. I think the use of 3G, and cellular networks has grown due to the rubbish Telkom phone infrastructure. ADSL is still incredably slow compared to the rest of the would, 512Kbps if you're lucky. I was out there last in December/January, and it seemed everyone had a 3G connection of some sort in their PCs.

You should get what you want without any issues.

Thank Post
    Thanks Ant,

It's mostly to keep in touch with the family, who worry about me going (I'm only 53 ).

Trying to get info from the people there is difficult so I'm trying to go prepared.

What were you doing there?

Ant

Thank Post
    Thanks Ant,

It's mostly to keep in touch with the family, who worry about me going (I'm only 53 ).

Trying to get info from the people there is difficult so I'm trying to go prepared.

What were you doing there?
    Hehe, they operate on totally different time zone! Africa Time!

I was out there on holiday for a month. Spent time doing the touristy stuff with my Fiancée as well as seeing all my family.

What do you go out there for?

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=Ant;403782]Hehe, they operate on totally different time zone! Africa Time!

QUOTE]

I learned pretty quick about Africa Time.

I was taken out by a Primary school initially, then a Secondary to work with their partner schools. Then became hooked and travel out when I can. Last trip I stayed with a family in the township and have worked with 4 schools and also the Orphans Project. I generally take a couple of days or so to travel around and last year found out when I got back that I was within a mile of the 4th highest waterfall in the world and last week discovered I was within a mile or so of the film location of Zulu. Like Africa Time, there is Africa Info. They really undersell the place.

Ant

Thank Post
    [quote=creese;403786]
    Hehe, they operate on totally different time zone! Africa Time!

QUOTE]

I learned pretty quick about Africa Time.

I was taken out by a Primary school initially, then a Secondary to work with their partner schools. Then became hooked and travel out when I can. Last trip I stayed with a family in the township and have worked with 4 schools and also the Orphans Project. I generally take a couple of days or so to travel around and last year found out when I got back that I was within a mile of the 4th highest waterfall in the world and last week discovered I was within a mile or so of the film location of Zulu. Like Africa Time, there is Africa Info. They really undersell the place.
    Yep, there's plenty of history there! I just wish I paid more attention in History lessons and we went on trips out to the locations!

Glad you're hooked, I'd go back more often too if the flights weren't as expensive as they are!

Thank Post
    I would recommend using a 3G USB dongle, with a pre-paid sim card. You can get data bundles to load on that card, and while outrageous by first world standards, it is usable. Also, the 2 major networks here, MTN and Vodacom have far superior coverage to CellC or iBurst.

The only thing to watch out for with Pre Paid sim cards is that there is a new South African law called the Rica Act. Basically you have to register your pre paid sim when purchasing. I don't know how it applies to visitors to the country though.

15. Thanks to CraigM from:

Ant (30th October 2009)

Thank Post
    [quote=Ant;404044]
    Yep, there's plenty of history there! I just wish I paid more attention in History lessons and we went on trips out to the locations!

Glad you're hooked, I'd go back more often too if the flights weren't as expensive as they are!
    £370 is not expensive.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast