+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Hardware Thread, USB modem in South Africa in Technical; I will be travelling out to SA in February to work with some schools and various 'child centric' projects. Anyone ...
  1. #1

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,043
    Thank Post
    167
    Thanked 344 Times in 279 Posts
    Rep Power
    168

    USB modem in South Africa

    I will be travelling out to SA in February to work with some schools and various 'child centric' projects.
    Anyone know if i can get a USB modem out there, maybe Pay as You Go for a month only? Or preferably just a Sim card as I have a BT USB modem.

    It's been 3 years since my last trip and I'm way behind with the technology out there.

  2. #2

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,601
    Thank Post
    640
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Rep Power
    337
    My colleague, Ulkary, says

    " I don't know about the sims cards, but the USB modems you can."

    Apparently, South Africa was quick to launch the use of 3G cards when they first became available so they are definitely up with the technology.

  3. #3

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,043
    Thank Post
    167
    Thanked 344 Times in 279 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    My colleague, Ulkary, says

    " I don't know about the sims cards, but the USB modems you can."

    Apparently, South Africa was quick to launch the use of 3G cards when they first became available so they are definitely up with the technology.
    Thanks. Does he/she know where I can get these online, Telkomsa is not the best of sites to look on.
    Last edited by creese; 28th October 2009 at 12:23 PM.

  4. #4
    Midget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Posts
    1,298
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 59 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

  5. #5
    Ant
    Ant is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Should be able to get what you're after without issues. Vodacom do have a pay and go service but not sure on the charges and coverage. There are plenty of Vodacom/MTN/CellC (Although I would stick with Vodacom or MTN) etc shops around when you get there. Should be able to pick up a pre pay sim without any issues. I believe they top them up the same as the phone top ups, ie just go into a shop and they give you a receipt with a top up code.

    Worth having a look on these sites:

    Vodacom Broadband

    iBurst Mobile Broadband Internet Access

    iBurst was quicker for me while I was out there, but not sure if they have any short term contracts. Unfortunately don't know much more about the costs as they weren't my connections.

  6. #6

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,043
    Thank Post
    167
    Thanked 344 Times in 279 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Should be able to get what you're after without issues. Vodacom do have a pay and go service but not sure on the charges and coverage. There are plenty of Vodacom/MTN/CellC (Although I would stick with Vodacom or MTN) etc shops around when you get there. Should be able to pick up a pre pay sim without any issues. I believe they top them up the same as the phone top ups, ie just go into a shop and they give you a receipt with a top up code.

    Worth having a look on these sites:

    Vodacom Broadband

    iBurst Mobile Broadband Internet Access

    iBurst was quicker for me while I was out there, but not sure if they have any short term contracts. Unfortunately don't know much more about the costs as they weren't my connections.
    Looks promising. I may have to visit a large town early in the visit. We are out in the wilds and the shops are restaurants and touristy types.

  7. #7
    Ant
    Ant is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Looks promising. I may have to visit a large town early in the visit. We are out in the wilds and the shops are restaurants and touristy types.
    You should be okay, The airports usually have a small Vodacom shop or two. You'd also be quite surprised where you might find shops like this, they can pop up everywhere.

    Where abouts in SA are you heading?

  8. #8

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,043
    Thank Post
    167
    Thanked 344 Times in 279 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Where abouts in SA are you heading?
    I'm staying in The Free State, Clarens. It's my 5th trip but I've not been well enough to travel for 3 years so I'm a bit behind with the technology there. Bethlehem is the nearest large town and I've found a shop there that may be useful.

  9. #9
    Ant
    Ant is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    I'm staying in The Free State, Clarens. It's my 5th trip but I've not been well enough to travel for 3 years so I'm a bit behind with the technology there. Bethlehem is the nearest large town and I've found a shop there that may be useful.
    That's not an area I've been to, although that's not far from where I was born and grew up in Newcastle, Kwa-Zulu Natal.

    The technology is still behind out there, but not as bad as it could be. I think the use of 3G, and cellular networks has grown due to the rubbish Telkom phone infrastructure. ADSL is still incredably slow compared to the rest of the would, 512Kbps if you're lucky. I was out there last in December/January, and it seemed everyone had a 3G connection of some sort in their PCs.

    You should get what you want without any issues.

  10. #10

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,043
    Thank Post
    167
    Thanked 344 Times in 279 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    Thanks Ant,

    It's mostly to keep in touch with the family, who worry about me going (I'm only 53 ).

    Trying to get info from the people there is difficult so I'm trying to go prepared.

    What were you doing there?

  11. #11
    Ant
    Ant is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Thanks Ant,

    It's mostly to keep in touch with the family, who worry about me going (I'm only 53 ).

    Trying to get info from the people there is difficult so I'm trying to go prepared.

    What were you doing there?
    Hehe, they operate on totally different time zone! Africa Time!

    I was out there on holiday for a month. Spent time doing the touristy stuff with my Fiancée as well as seeing all my family.

    What do you go out there for?

  12. #12

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,043
    Thank Post
    167
    Thanked 344 Times in 279 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    [QUOTE=Ant;403782]Hehe, they operate on totally different time zone! Africa Time!

    QUOTE]

    I learned pretty quick about Africa Time.

    I was taken out by a Primary school initially, then a Secondary to work with their partner schools. Then became hooked and travel out when I can. Last trip I stayed with a family in the township and have worked with 4 schools and also the Orphans Project. I generally take a couple of days or so to travel around and last year found out when I got back that I was within a mile of the 4th highest waterfall in the world and last week discovered I was within a mile or so of the film location of Zulu. Like Africa Time, there is Africa Info. They really undersell the place.

  13. #13
    Ant
    Ant is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    [quote=creese;403786]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Hehe, they operate on totally different time zone! Africa Time!

    QUOTE]

    I learned pretty quick about Africa Time.

    I was taken out by a Primary school initially, then a Secondary to work with their partner schools. Then became hooked and travel out when I can. Last trip I stayed with a family in the township and have worked with 4 schools and also the Orphans Project. I generally take a couple of days or so to travel around and last year found out when I got back that I was within a mile of the 4th highest waterfall in the world and last week discovered I was within a mile or so of the film location of Zulu. Like Africa Time, there is Africa Info. They really undersell the place.
    Yep, there's plenty of history there! I just wish I paid more attention in History lessons and we went on trips out to the locations!

    Glad you're hooked, I'd go back more often too if the flights weren't as expensive as they are!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    85
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    I would recommend using a 3G USB dongle, with a pre-paid sim card. You can get data bundles to load on that card, and while outrageous by first world standards, it is usable. Also, the 2 major networks here, MTN and Vodacom have far superior coverage to CellC or iBurst.

    The only thing to watch out for with Pre Paid sim cards is that there is a new South African law called the Rica Act. Basically you have to register your pre paid sim when purchasing. I don't know how it applies to visitors to the country though.

  15. Thanks to CraigM from:

    Ant (30th October 2009)

  16. #15

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,043
    Thank Post
    167
    Thanked 344 Times in 279 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    [quote=Ant;404044]
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Yep, there's plenty of history there! I just wish I paid more attention in History lessons and we went on trips out to the locations!

    Glad you're hooked, I'd go back more often too if the flights weren't as expensive as they are!
    £370 is not expensive.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New MIS for South Africa
    By AntiThesis in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17th March 2011, 09:11 AM
  2. USB Fax Modem for Virtual Server
    By Nick_Parker in forum Windows Server 2008
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd December 2009, 11:06 AM
  3. Greetings from South Africa
    By AntiThesis in forum International Visitor Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 23rd September 2009, 09:00 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th May 2009, 12:07 PM
  5. School networks and aid to Africa. A comparison.
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 5th July 2005, 11:36 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •