+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, iPhone goes on sale to other networks in Technical; Yahoooo, about time too...
    PEO
    Thank Post
    Yahoooo, about time too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What did you struggle with? I got mine up and running within... ten minutes? The most difficult part was working out where the SIM went,
    The SIM holder was a PITA to get out (they didn't include the tool in the box) so over-engineered for a plastic tray to hold a SIM card in. The fact you MUST dock it with iTunes to get it to turn on and activate itself, which then got iTunes in a hissy fit over not having an apple account, managed to force that off, then every time you opened it it whinged about the fact that it didn't have an account and Steve Jobs cannot sell my details to the world without them etc. It was a PITA, first time I've ever spent so long messing with a phone just to be able to make a phone call!

Compared to my HTC, plugged in to charge, once charged, popped batter out, sim in holder, turned on, entered my PIN code and voilla I could make calls, text, email etc all from the handset no PC needed, no iTunes (or in my phones case Mobile Device Centre seen as its a Windows Phone), it just worked out of the box. Its touch screen is also too "hard" it needs to be "softer" as it were IE so you can tap it with a fingernail rather than mash it. Very poor product tbh, good to show its a toy not a serious tool. I will be sticking with the Windows phones or back to a standard non-fancy phone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    The SIM holder was a PITA to get out (they didn't include the tool in the box) so over-engineered for a plastic tray to hold a SIM card in. The fact you MUST dock it with iTunes to get it to turn on and activate itself, which then got iTunes in a hissy fit over not having an apple account, managed to force that off, then every time you opened it it whinged about the fact that it didn't have an account and Steve Jobs cannot sell my details to the world without them etc. It was a PITA, first time I've ever spent so long messing with a phone just to be able to make a phone call!

Compared to my HTC, plugged in to charge, once charged, popped batter out, sim in holder, turned on, entered my PIN code and voilla I could make calls, text, email etc all from the handset no PC needed, no iTunes (or in my phones case Mobile Device Centre seen as its a Windows Phone), it just worked out of the box. Its touch screen is also too "hard" it needs to be "softer" as it were IE so you can tap it with a fingernail rather than mash it. Very poor product tbh, good to show its a toy not a serious tool. I will be sticking with the Windows phones or back to a standard non-fancy phone.
    I have to say I wasn't a fan of the SIM setup, and the fact it took me a good 15 minutes to work out, but that was partly due to me being a bit thick and partly due to Apple making it so complex. I had the tool stuck to the box so that was helpful.

I looked at the HTC phones on Saturday. They're pretty nice, but I like th iPhone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    The Iphone is NOT a step forward on the HTC Touch Pro HD its a step back. I setup a friends Iphone the other day, talk about time wasting, annoying and PITA, I could make a whole network with less hassle than setting that thing up!
    I looked at the HTC line of phones and played with a few and must say it ticked off most things but then I got to the memory side of things and I was disappointed and after 2 windows mobiles regardless of what I did being totally un responsive and all the issues Ive had with windows mobile as an OS on top of the fact it meant I would have to get a piece of paid for software to synch any music / videos etc to the phone

imo it is more hassle to me then its worth so I wasnt convinced by the HTC phones and I wouldn't say apple iphones are a step back - still got more iphones to bring out with more mods / speed increases and improvements - just like the original ipods compared to ipods out now.

Each to there own anywho

Thank Post
    Got mine this morning on Orange!
    Courier on the doorstep at 08:00 hrs...

I have had an HTC Tyan for 2 years and its been a great phone but I found myself using the iPod Touch over wifi for everything else so I bit the bullet even kept my business solo tariff which includes free landline calls for £35 pm

Now I need to find some decent network tools for the iPhone ping telnet etc...

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    ordered mine on orange now waiting til next week

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Got mine this morning on Orange!
    Courier on the doorstep at 08:00 hrs...

I have had an HTC Tyan for 2 years and its been a great phone but I found myself using the iPod Touch over wifi for everything else so I bit the bullet even kept my business solo tariff which includes free landline calls for £35 pm

Now I need to find some decent network tools for the iPhone ping telnet etc...

Any ideas?
    The app store - will have a look later on

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123