+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Anyone got Dell Poweredge servers? in Technical; Woah woah woah...a school....money...not tight!! I'm not going to ask which mob boss you asked for money from It's alright ...
    Thank Post

Re: Anyone got Dell Poweredge servers?

Woah woah woah...a school....money...not tight!!

I'm not going to ask which mob boss you asked for money from

It's alright for some with a nice budget

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Our school seems pretty good with budgets I've only had to curtail some of the more outrageous items out of my spending sprees over the last 2 years!

Wes

Thank Post

Despite the fact there are not really any budget worries, Im still finding this hard - in my head I cant justify the huge amount of money a Dell server with the storage I want is going to cost when it can cost so much less if I did it myself

I need at least 1.2Tb, but realistically probably more like 1.6. One with 3 500GB HD's is going to cost nearly £2,000, with the cost of a SCSI card on top of that

Just thinking maybe it might be better to buy a basic server just to run the tape drive and backup software, and buy a Terastation to actually store the backups on?

Thank Post

Most of schools I deal with take ICT seriously and have therefore invested a sensible amount in their IT infrastructure, there is also continued pressure from the Government on schools to embrace ICT because they believe it raises standards overcomes inclusion issues and improves home school links.

I wouldn’t recommend DELL servers to these schools if I wasn’t confident they were up to the job.

The thing that worries me, is how these schools are going to be able to refresh all this ICT (I know….lets install 20 whiteboards/projects and watch the bulbs all pop at the same time) which is why some of my clients are looking at thin client solutions, but that’s another forum.

Thank Post

If money is not an issue then I can't understand why you are even thinking about a DIY server, think about the piece of mind you get with 4 hour or next day responce. Why make life hard for youself? If the thing does go down it's not your responsibility to fix it.

Thank Post

Hey Russ, Dos_Box

If you want to solve EduGeeks money problems just offer Dell the opportunity for the right price to quote this thread in their advertising

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Hey Russ, Dos_Box

If you want to solve EduGeeks money problems just offer Dell the opportunity for the right price to quote this thread in their advertising

Good point....

Sure none of us are on commission? Better throw HP and IBM in the hat just in case

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sun Microsystems?

Wes

Thank Post

DIY servers are ok for none critical tasks, but I would always stick to branded for critical stuff like SIMS.net, file servers, DCs etc. With brands like DELL, IBM,HP & Sun you are buying into a support, service & parts organisation as well as a piece of kit. Unless you carry spares for your DIY servers you face the hassle of finding parts in a hurry when they go down.

You need to be especially careful with RAID solutions that rely upon you having exactly the same disk controller hardware to be able to access your data if you lose a system board/adapter. On a DIY server you have to source this yourself, with a branded server, the manufacturer will ensure you get the parts you need to recover.

We use DELL Poweredge servers, but we do have a couple of 'cheap' DIY servers based upon identical Intel server boards because I needed to host 6 SATA disks. One of these is used for network management tasks, hosting WSUS, Ghost images, Secondcopy backups etc, the other is a remote DR server. Neither is mission critical in the sense that the school cannot function without them.

Thank Post

Thats the thing, if this server went down it doesnt effect the network in the slightest, it would just mean backups would take longer until it was fixed (would have to go straight to tape rather than disk first)

For this occasion though I think I am just going to go with a Dell, mainly to save me the hassle of building and supporting something else, as someone else mentioned

Thank Post

I think you are making the right decision. Managing a network is hard enough without having to worry about sourcing parts for break fix repairs.

It’s always nice to have someone else to blame too. I think its called delegation! 8)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

we got a dell poweredge 800 it went wrong and got spare bit next day thats service but then we pay for it

Thank Post

We have a number of Dell servers that we are very pleased with. However, we have also just invested in a network storage device for some extra space. It is a Lacie 2TB 1U box and cost us 1/3rd of the price of a Dell NAS. It will only allow 25 simultaneous connections but it may solve the space problems some of us have. We are thinking about getting another to act as a store for digital video files.

Alan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12