+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HP LaserJet P3005 Jamming Problem in Technical; Hey there all. At my place of work, we have an HP LJ P3005 printer used to print out our ...

Thank Post

HP LaserJet P3005 Jamming Problem

Hey there all. At my place of work, we have an HP LJ P3005 printer used to print out our credit card reports at the end of the day. This is all this printer is used for, and usually only prints about 20-25 pages a night before it's done for the day. We've had it for about a year and a half, and since our warranty is up HP wants nothing to do with it unless we pay them, which my boss does not want to do.

I've tried everything I could think of to get it going (I'm the "tech guy" here), and sort of figured that the problem lies with the fuser. Here's a picture of what it looks like jammed:

If you can't tell, it jams right as it's starting to go through the fuser. This fact is confirmed when you pull the paper out: the fuser heats the ink to stick it to the page, but when you pull the page out the ink will smear all over you.

I've tried cleaning the fuser thoroughly, and I just recently replaced it with an entirely new one, but to no avail. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    bumpity bump. Still looking for a solution for this problem. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Did you ever find a solution? I have the exact same thing

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 965 Posts
    Does it jam regardless of what type of print job you are trying to do ie single sided, duplex ie booklet, open to left or what exactly ?

If it does it regardless then I would say by the looks of the image the pick off pawls and guides that feed the paper in are not set correctly and is trying to push the paper the wrong direction which makes it bend / fold over and hence the jam and because its not being pushed towards the heat roller with a pressure roller the heat roller is making the toner melt some what and when you pull it out it is obviously going everywhere

obviously the toner is attracted to the paper in the correct places after it has gone passed the pcu and dev unit section but because its naffing up in the fuser unit its not being fused into the paper ie crushed and melted into the paper into the correct places.

just my $0.02
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 8th December 2009 at 07:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Well I haven't tried any other types of print jobs because the printer is only used for one use: printing single sided sheets. That's all it does, ever. The idea of the rollers feeding the wrong way is very interesting, I'll try and give that a shot.

Thank Post
    I'll answer too since I'm having the same issue

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Does it jam regardless of what type of print job you are trying to do ie single sided, duplex ie booklet, open to left or what exactly ?
    any all, manual tray or paper tray, any type of media.
    The paper is getting to the fuser on time, did a bunch of 1/2 way tests and looked at different times where the paper was. It's 'like' the fuser is running slow even though I don't see how it could.

If it does it regardless then I would say by the looks of the image the pick off pawls and guides that feed the paper in are not set correctly and is trying to push the paper the wrong direction which makes it bend / fold over and hence the jam and because its not being pushed towards the heat roller with a pressure roller the heat roller is making the toner melt some what and when you pull it out it is obviously going everywhere
    On the one I'm working on, the paper is oriented right into the fuser, not crooked. The print is exactly where is should be but since it gets the 'late jam' all stops and the print never gets to be fused of course.

obviously the toner is attracted to the paper in the correct places after it has gone passed the pcu and dev unit section but because its naffing up in the fuser unit its not being fused into the paper ie crushed and melted into the paper into the correct places.

just my $0.02
    I myself have taken the fuser apart twice, it looks perfect. I re-greased the sleave just to make sure, it turns perfectly by hand or if I'm watching it while working in the printer.

Now here is my question, is it for sure that in a non duplexor N model, that the fuser only runs at one speed? When it starts to print (you know how these printers are kinda noisy?) you hear the paper come up, then you hear things get a bit louder like normal that rr rr rr rr sound, almost like it's trying to kick the fuser up to a faster speed but never does. A tech told me only the D model does this?

Thank Post
    I just found this but not sure what the solution is

Business support forums - 3005n - Fuser output, paper late jam

I have seen some issues with the fuser step motor causing these errors. You should be able to run a test page and when the fuser is cycling it should kick the motor up to the proper cycling speed. If this is not happening you will get a fuser output error and the paper will stop right before or at the fuser photo sensor flag.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 965 Posts
    also make sure the firmware is up to date - assuming you have access to download and install the firmware to the latest revision - as for the fuser unit - depends on paper type that is set in the settings because obviously if you set it to card then it will make the card go through the fuser unit slower so as to heat it more ie give it a better chance to melt and crunch the toner into the card where as if its thin paper then it will go through the fuser unit faster in comparison to card.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    also make sure the firmware is up to date - assuming you have access to download and install the firmware to the latest revision - as for the fuser unit - depends on paper type that is set in the settings because obviously if you set it to card then it will make the card go through the fuser unit slower so as to heat it more ie give it a better chance to melt and crunch the toner into the card where as if its thin paper then it will go through the fuser unit faster in comparison to card.
    unfortunately, it also does it when the engine test is ran and that skips the formatter completely

Thank Post
    Ok seems that I've solved my problem, at least. Here are some pictures to show you what I did.

This picture shows the cause of the problem. Turns out, it was as simple as the hole from the black piece not being lined up with the whole from the metal piece. (This is the fuser, by the way) All it took was me unscrewing the metal piece (four screws on the bottom of it), and then refitting it so that the holes lined up. I didn't have to force it at all; I merely set that in first, and everything else lined up perfectly afterward. Be warned, though, that there is a fifth screw that holds this spring-like thing on the side, you do have to unscrew that to remove the metal piece. I made the mistake of doing this without knowing what it was, and when I removed the metal piece the spring thing went flying off. Didn't break, just a warning!

This picture, albeit really blurry, shows a closeup of the rollers that are mounted near the black piece. The arrow shows that the paper, when going through the fuser while the black piece was pushed too far up by the metal piece, would jam underneath the black piece, which was apparently the source of my problem.

After fixing the metal piece how it should be, I was able to manually roll a piece of paper through the fuser by putting it between the rollers and turning the gear by hand. So, I put the printer back together and everything appears to running normally.

Let me know if this helps you. I have a feeling that HP is simply retarded, because BOTH MY NEW AND OLD FUSER HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM! After I discovered this on my new fuser, I looked at the old one and sure enough, the pieces were not aligned properly. Bad construction?

11. Thanks to klent3102 from:

mac_shinobi (9th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Finally remembered to post here, that wasn't the problem with our bad printer, darn it. the fuser even looks a bit different, but I can roll paper through by hand and everything seemed lined up. Nothing is sticking up in the way. It's like there is no reason for the paper to stop where it stops.

Thank Post
    I have this same problem. It goes about an inch into the fuser and jams. It is not the fuser I have tried 3 of them. I ordered an electronics control board and will see if that fixes it as It seems as though a motor is not turning. I will try to see if the fusers i am using have that same thing you talked about but doubt that 3 fusers have that same issue when they all work in another 3005 next to the broken one. Please any fresh ideas will be appreciated.

Thank Post

Any update?

I just had a service call for this same problem, and they ordered a new fuser which did not fix the jamming problem. definitely seems like the paper is not getting through the fuser in time and it errors out.

Thank Post

Same issue

I have this thing in pieces. I just took out the stepping motor. I am going to order the stepping motor and replace it then post back, hopefully tomorrow. I work for Compucom Systems Inc, working at a high profile site. I need to get this thing done!

I updated the firmware and the printer worked for about 2 months. Now back to same issue. Another formatter I tried (known good) same issue. I have also tried 3 fusers and an engine control board.

Here is the part number for reference.
    13 Motor, DC, stepping (M2), fusing RK2-1489-000 1

Thank you all for your posts and will get back soon!

Ed

Thank Post

my solution

I read in another forum to check the pendulum assy and I cleaned and lubed in and viola, no more jamming at the fuser. seems when the motor changes direction the pendulum swings and starts to engage a differrent set of gears. if it doesn' swing right away the paper won't make it to the fuser sensor before timing out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread