+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, I-Desk Solutions are THE solution in Technical; Originally Posted by danIT All this and still no costs? I've come to the conclusion, as with most things of ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danIT View Post
    All this and still no costs?
    I've come to the conclusion, as with most things of this nature, if you have to ask the price - you can't afford. I don't think this'll be something I'd be able to afford to introduce here!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I've come to the conclusion, as with most things of this nature, if you have to ask the price - you can't afford. I don't think this'll be something I'd be able to afford to introduce here!
    what's involved in making a basic desk or work surface ? some sheets of MDF, some table legs [price depending on budget] appropriate equipment ie band saw[depending on size of materials], jigsaw, routers[possibly], power drills, measuring tools. Plus some sheets of laminate and those large plastic crocodile clip type things to set the laminate in place. Plus appropariate joinery skills [not necessarily mastercraftsman].

The amount you'd save if you had or could get in what was required to do all that in-house, would allow you to spend the rest of the budget on a really nice suite of all-in-ones like the sony vaio or the apple imac.

just a thought. not saying you could afford either option.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Yea I was just thinking that, also thinking apple might not be too happy about the trade name / mark of an i-desk

Reminded me when I was looking at the buggati veyron web site, you can configure one but they don't show you the price ( at least not that I have seen as I may of missed it )

bugatti.com - Veyron 16.4

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by british-wave View Post

The perception from staff is that it give a fresh clean and more spacious environment in which students are much more relaxed primarily because there is much more space to move around the classroom
    doesn't look from those first set of photos that there's much room for the kids to stretch their legs with that installation in the centre of the room ?

I bet that one cost a pretty penny didn't it ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems like a bizarre idea - cramming everything into a small case like that, with limited cooling. What it effectively does is either limit you to low heat devices (lowering the max spec available), force you to install lots of fans for cooling, or put extra stress on the CPU etc... due to a higher ambient temperature (causing a quicker fail rate). Would the OP care to post the specs of these machines, and how long their warranty lasts?

Add in the fact that you are now tied to that company for replacements and future upgrades, and it seems like, from a financial point of view, a poor option. What's wrong with all in one PC's? There are loads of manufacturers of them, with varying sizes of design (to allow for top of the range hi-spec components, down to super thin super low power devices).

Thank Post
    We got some quotes for I-Desks, they were about a grand per seat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    'nuff said! Should I guess the spec (Celeron, 512mb, etc)?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Not cheap compared to a solution from ISIS Concepts that lets you use whatever hardware you desire (at approx. 500 per seat plus computer costs).

Thank Post
    while i dont like them much they are upgradable you just remove the "cartridge" and its all standard micro atx inside so a new matx board/chip/ram and away you go (as long as its not too tall) and if the cartrudge you have dosent have a 5 1/4 drive hole tough luck if you want a dvd/cd/blueray/card reader

last lot i had were passively cooled with a big low profile heatsink on cpu and ram with a huge heatshield. Spec was ok iirc dual core 2gb ram enough hard drive. I just wonder about long term reliability i have had 4 so far with duff ram (and thats obviously duff i need to test them all one day)

I still think you wouild arguably get more space by shoving the pc against the wall and bringing the power switch/usb/audio onto a desk panel

i can think of lot of ways to make them better bigger openng to get to cables so 3" or so at the back hinges and locks, power button not small and hidden in a recess, allow the monitor arm to tilt forward as well as sideways (ive had to wire up a 19" tft infront of the normal screen for a visually impaired child), move the usb sockets from a cheap looking orange block on the monitor stalk to the desk itself either a nice panel or just a decent sized vertical groove where drives can be plugged in and dosent look like an afterthought.

infact for teh cost personally id cable laptops to the desk so the desk can be completely cleared as needed and it still wouldnt cost as much and id have a portable computer as well
    Last edited by sted; 21st October 2009 at 09:37 AM.

Thank Post
    All I desks are made with a 26mm moisture resistant MDF with a melomime finish with edging strip. This is machined on CNC machines. The legs and chassis are powder coated. Add that to the fact that they come and install the desks think of the time saving alone on producing it. Also I have not seen an "inhouse solution" that is of the grade you are proposing. Add in the maintenance of a 500,000 CNC machine and its milling bits I can see that the solution is very reasonable.

As for the post about cramming everything into a small case. There is more space inside one of these cases than in a laptop or for example or a HP DC7700 DC7900. We have had no problems with ours and I did speak to other people who have had Idesk installs done, one of which had done an in house upgrade. The components inside are standard PC parts. Nothing bespoke about them except the case that it sits in. The furniture stays the same.

Specification wise
    Intel Dual Core e5200 2x 2.5 2M 800MHz 45nm
    Hard Drive 160GB SATA2
    Memory 2GB DDR 2 Ram 800Mhz
    Optical Drive - CD-Writer / DVD Reader
    "Storage Card Reader 3.5"" Internal"

As for some of the people who are wanting a solution of a higher spec or want to do major graphics rendering etc etc dont be cheap skates spend the on the spec. Tell I desk what you want and they can accomodate with a higher spec motherboard (the motherboards in ours are ASUS) or they can fit a graphics card solution. You tell them what you want they will supply a solution. As has been said before you get what you pay for. They can provide a Mac solution although this is something we are currently not entertaining here.

On the IRise solution on space for legs there is plenty or room. As I have said if you want to have a look at a solution contact Steve and he may be able to arrange a viewing at a school near you.

The ISIS desk incroaches on space underneath the desk. Having tried the ISIS desk im only 5'7 I imediatly commented on the lack of space underneath we have some students well over 6' here. This was also the case for a few other we looked at.

Hope this helps with some of the points raised.

Thank Post
    First point to make about i desk they do not dictate to their customers as some companies do, before they install they listen to what you want, you get to design how you want your room to look, what specs you want.

Second point Steve Morgan and the team check in with you every step of the way, and the after sales care is legendary, even two years after installing the i desk solution I know a call to Steve will result in action regardless of the problem.

Thirdly ICT is no longer just about how well a machine functions but what people perceive. We have one suite of dells which is regularly vandalized by pupils pulling cables, mice etc, the atmosphere in the suite does not promote the best learning environment. In our i desk suites the atmosphere is calm, the pupils are respectful, and they engage in their learning. This view is supported by all our staff, and over the last two years they have gained in confidence in using IT.

Fourthly, and I know people want to know how about cost, i desk is a long term investment, in the end it will save money because you will be replacing pc's over time but upgrading components which is a money saver, and as i started by saying i desk listen to what their customers want so it is difficult to give quotes as we all have different needs.

I am sitting in my suite thinking hard why I would encourage people to buy i desk without sounding like a clone of Steve Morgan or a paid employee... all I can say is that I looked at all the solutions on offer, from experience I have seen desks put in and within two weeks they are falling apart or people do not put the mice away properly thus snapping the cables... i desk was not like that. With other solutions you state what you want and they give you reasons why it can be achieved... i desk is not like that i drew for i desk what i wanted and they gave it to me... and to emphasize in the long term it will pay for itself.

Anybody who is in the Hampshire/ surrey area are more than welcome to visit... Oak Farm in Farnborough. Sorry if I have gone on for a bit but i find it rare to find a company that I have no issues or gripes about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All I desks are made with a 26mm moisture resistant MDF with a melomime finish with edging strip. This is machined on CNC machines. The legs and chassis are powder coated. Add that to the fact that they come and install the desks think of the time saving alone on producing it. Also I have not seen an "inhouse solution" that is of the grade you are proposing. Add in the maintenance of a 500,000 CNC machine and its milling bits I can see that the solution is very reasonable.
    Err... So your explanation for ridiculously high per seat pricing is simply that the company have decided that they want to make their money back on their investment at high speed rather than a longer term recovery? ie. rip schools off simply because they don't have a suitable business plan? Sorry but that doesn't fly to me.

As for the post about cramming everything into a small case. There is more space inside one of these cases than in a laptop or for example or a HP DC7700 DC7900. We have had no problems with ours and I did speak to other people who have had Idesk installs done, one of which had done an in house upgrade. The components inside are standard PC parts. Nothing bespoke about them except the case that it sits in. The furniture stays the same.
    Last I checked, HP spent millions of pounds on research each year, developing and testing reliable systems. A small company simply cannot do that. A laptop has very specific methods of cooling, and a shorter life expectancy than a desktop. Add in the fact that laptops mostly use mobile class technology (ie GPU's designed for laptops, chipsets designed for laptops, processors designed for laptops), and those that don't are usually huge. Do iDesk stress test their new PC's untill they die? etc...

Specification wise
    Intel Dual Core e5200 2x 2.5 2M 800MHz 45nm
    Hard Drive 160GB SATA2
    Memory 2GB DDR 2 Ram 800Mhz
    Optical Drive - CD-Writer / DVD Reader
    "Storage Card Reader 3.5"" Internal"
    The e5200 is a slow chip compared to most now. ie. low spec. It is part of the old 'Penitum Processor for Desktops' range, which is a secondary 'cheap' range. It isn't as bad as a Celeron, but is by far not a good processor compared to a Core2Duo.

Thank Post
    Gotta agree with you there!

I have been round the i-desk factory (actually, the old one in Camberley), and it is the investment in the production equipment that means that they will always be miles better then an in-house job using a band-saw and some kitchen worktop

The guys are also very proud of what they do, which reflects on the quality of product and service that they provide!

mb

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Err... So your explanation for ridiculously high per seat pricing is simply that the company have decided that they want to make their money back on their investment at high speed rather than a longer term recovery? ie. rip schools off simply because they don't have a suitable business plan? Sorry but that doesn't fly to me.

Last I checked, HP spent millions of pounds on research each year, developing and testing reliable systems. A small company simply cannot do that. A laptop has very specific methods of cooling, and a shorter life expectancy than a desktop. Add in the fact that laptops mostly use mobile class technology (ie GPU's designed for laptops, chipsets designed for laptops, processors designed for laptops), and those that don't are usually huge. Do iDesk stress test their new PC's untill they die? etc...

The e5200 is a slow chip compared to most now. ie. low spec. It is part of the old 'Penitum Processor for Desktops' range, which is a secondary 'cheap' range. It isn't as bad as a Celeron, but is by far not a good processor compared to a Core2Duo.

First of all, we decided not to upgrade this processor in this installation due to the applications in this room whilst also working to a budget. (Its not always about having the best, its about having something that works and works well.) I.e. You wouldn't replace your car if works for something that is better for the sake of it?

I hardly class it as ridcoulsy high prices, coming from an ex bespoke furniture background, a 1000 per desk is nothing when it includes a PC. It does the job and will last a long time, the saying goes " You get what you pay for." The reason for having a CNC cutter is to make life easier and make producing each desk more efficent. They are currently developing new products whilst improving the exisiting ones.For e.g. Devloping a chassis for Quad core/i7 installations. We asked about this for our first installation but Idesk, were not happy about providing us with an untried soloution. Idesk - Don't knock it, till youv'e tried it
    Idesk do stress test their products, before sending them out for installation.
    Last edited by vivalagoobs; 21st October 2009 at 10:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vivalagoobs View Post
    First of all, we decided not to upgrade this processor in this installation due to the applications in this room whilst also working to a budget. (Its not always about having the best, its about having something that works and works well.) I.e. You wouldn't replace your car if works for something that is better for the sake of it?
    Well, we do replace computers for the sake of it... Its called our rolling replacement program. ie. they get replaced at 3/4 years regardless of whether they do the job still or not.

I hardly class it as ridcoulsy high prices, coming from an ex bespoke furniture background, a 1000 per desk is nothing when it includes a PC. It does the job and will last a long time, the saying goes " You get what you pay for." The reason for having a CNC cutter is to make life easier and make producing each desk more efficent. They are currently developing new products whilst improving the exisiting ones. *Idesk - Don't knock it, till youv'e tried it*
    The 700 per desk, including all network cabling and the machines we spent here for custom designed furniture seems like a better deal to me... Bespoke furniture for the rooms, made with CNC machines like you mention. Sadly the company has gone out of business though (they were useless at marketting their products). The machines were Viglen all in one things, and when they are due for replacement, we have a vast array of options to replace them with.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast