+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Network Colour Laser Printers in schools in Technical; I am at a loss...I've been bashing my head against the walls...running up em and down and I cant get ...
    Thank Post

Network Colour Laser Printers in schools

I am at a loss...I've been bashing my head against the walls...running up em and down and I cant get a definitive answer.

Colour Laser Printers...which one do you get....dont't like HP's because the life of the consumables are rubbish...dont want OKI's..good printers but I cant justify the toners, drums, transfer belt, fuser, thats 10 bits that will require changing...I personally have a Samsung and I'm not impresses...I've know Kyocera's in the past and have damned them all for being unreliable, the same for Brother's, Canon's and Epson.

Finally, I'm thinking...the school have a Ricoh copier under lease, what about a colour laser under a similar agreement?...Does anyone else use Ricoh colour lasers and what are your impressions???

Thank Post
    We use LNL - free printer in exchange for getting the consumables from them (no catch either, the prices are seriously competitive). Currently got some Xerox Phaser solid ink things, and loving them, but they do "conventional" lasers too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Have to agree about OKI... the ones I have here are lucky not to have made short journeys out of the window. I would not have them on the network by choice.

Thank Post
    And I like the 9 colour OKI's we have here. They are C5600n & C5650n printers that, for me, are zero maintance workhorses. They can be front panel disabled via the management console and can be accessed anywhere on a web browser should you wish to check up on them.

Since I installed PapercutNG and introduced quotas the cost of running them has reduced to a 5th of what they used to cost, so much for teacher controlled printing.

Thank Post
    We leased a second-hand KM Bizhub C450 recently to replace a Kyocera that died partly due to rubbish build quality and partly due to abuse. It's cheaper to run than the Kyocera, but we added it to an existing agreement.

Thank Post
    when we had desktop colour lasers we found that staff couldn't resist the temptation to add colour to everything and none of the desktop colour lasers we've had has really lasted. Our solution is one leased colour photocopier for the whole school which is networked and is built to take the load. There are some moans from staff who would rather have one on their desk than have to walk to the repro room but in general it works and it makes them think twice about whether a document actually needs tiny bits of colour adig

Thank Post
    we use dell colour lasers. They have been great over the past few years.
    I know they are re-branded but not sure who makes them.

Thank Post
    we are changing over to konica minolta, we buy the printer, but the service agreement is for them to supply all consumables, toners, drums etc for a costing of 4p per black and 7.3 pence per colour copy (if memory serves me right) this is going to save us a fortune in the long run as you are probably aware of how many printouts are full page colour in a school (god bless powerpoint!) they only charge per page. It's a deal in our area through the YPO (yorkshire purchasing authority.
    In the volatile toner market of today the fixed price costing for 3 years lessesns the strain.
    i know the best rep they got so if you want his details message me.

note it may work out expensive for 'office' printing as they are more nearer the 5% cartridge yield the savings we were after is on curriculum printing, staff and students.

we produce in one year photocopying and printing (approx 50% each) nearly 1million a4 prints.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krb548 View Post
    we use dell colour lasers. They have been great over the past few years.
    I know they are re-branded but not sure who makes them.
    Lexmark, who I have to say I've always avoided after having to use their inkjets in the past (which were consistently cack). I've never used a Lexmark laser. Any good?

Thank Post
    Just had 3 RICOH colour lasers in on lease and they are great! Massive beasts but have great print quality and under our agreement very cheap to run.

Thank Post
    We've just bought a very large number of Ricoh colour lasers (mainly the C420dn with some of the C232 SF) on the Ricoh Click scheme. You buy the printer then sign a cost per copy agreement with Ricoh.

Our printers were bought through WStore and I have to say our contact at Ricoh has been a great help. Teachers seem to love the printers and for the most part we've not had too many problems with them.

Thank Post
    we have some OKI c5650's... they seem ok, cant flaw them. All colour lasers will be expensive in one way or another.

Thank Post
    dont actually have many probs with hp as long as you dont use compatible toners

i would personally avoid cannon the ones ive done have been a pain they need software installing on server before you can use them (they wont show up in dhcp till the software has found them and told them to) and if you uninstall the software later print jobs appear o work spool from the server too the printer then disappear into the ether. You also get an annoying icon in the systray every time one is turned off/out of paper/out of ink

Thank Post
    Xerox Phaser 8560 should do your job, quite big printers but great for school use

Thank Post
    We have a panasonic colour copier networked. Currently lease free for a year on a trial and is about 5p a copy.

V good gets lots of use esp on A3. Def going to keep it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread