+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Printing in Technical; ...
    ron

Thank Post

Printing

Currently we have 20 printers in our school and we are spending between £30,000 and £50,000 a year on printing. We own the printers and buy our toners but we are looking into a solution were we would either buy or lease printers/copiers from a company and pay per copy and all the toners come free. We have a company dealing with this for us so it is the following that I would require some helps with:

If you work in a school and you have a way of managing your printing please feel free to offer advice or tell me what you do to ease the cost of printing.

We are looking at perhaps providing staff and pupils with printer credits but if we do that it's knowing how to charge the right department for this. The school want the departments to pay out of their budget for their printing instead of it coming out of the IT fund. How could we manage this. If the English department get their pupils to print 1000 pages out on a Maths department printer we woudln't want to charge the Maths department for them 1000 pages just because they came out their printer so I would find it diffcult to say we just charge departments for the toners they use in their printers or if we were to have a print log of the amount of pages coming out of their printer as it would be unfair if they were paying for other departments printing.

Any ideas, Cheers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    Currently we have 20 printers in our school and we are spending between £30,000 and £50,000 a year on printing. We own the printers and buy our toners but we are looking into a solution were we would either buy or lease printers/copiers from a company and pay per copy and all the toners come free. We have a company dealing with this for us
    A company dealing with what? Figuring out which leasing company to use? I'd say go for a proper lease, where you pay for the rental of the machine and a cost per copy/print. Anywhere that advertises "free!" prints, "just pay for the toner!" has too many marketing people in it.

A decent leasing company will supply you with printer management software. PaperCut and PCounter are both good and used by many people here. Note that the leasing company might bundle the software in with their deal, but there's generally still a yearly maintainence fee to pay.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Your printing bill is high... how many students/staff are you catering for?

You definitely need some print management software... Papercut and Print Manager Plus are 2. Search for them on here; there are plenty of threads on the pros and cons of using them.

To implement this software successfully, you must have the full backing of your SLT. Without this, you may as well not bother as limits will be lifted and everyone will carry on as usual. You'll also need to cultivate your thick skin as implementing doesn't put you on many people's list of favourites!

Thank Post
    I have never known of a company spending that much on printing, I would certainly recommend a lease contract. Try Midshire!

Thank Post
    Hi ron

This thread may be of interest to you. We've helped out a couple of EduGeek members on the Ricoh Click scheme - please get in touch if you require further details. I'm sure one or two of the members on here would be happy to recomend this scheme also

Regards

Thank Post
    i have pm'd u. we have just delt with ricoh/infotec and leased 37 machines from them and some software called print audit 6 to manage them.

with that sw you can monitor and charge staff although to do the same with kids to depts would need to know what lesson they in etc. but that sw can do most of waht you ask plus its pretty easy to run. does need a sql database to run from but that about it.

let me know i can talk to you on the phone if you like PM me and we can put heads together

7. Thanks to gibboap from:

ron (9th October 2009)

ron

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    A company dealing with what? Figuring out which leasing company to use? I'd say go for a proper lease, where you pay for the rental of the machine and a cost per copy/print. Anywhere that advertises "free!" prints, "just pay for the toner!" has too many marketing people in it.

A decent leasing company will supply you with printer management software. PaperCut and PCounter are both good and used by many people here. Note that the leasing company might bundle the software in with their deal, but there's generally still a yearly maintainence fee to pay.

--
    David Hicks
    @ David, We have a company getting us a quote on printers/copiers for lease or to buy that will charge per page as we currently spend around £75 to £150 per toner.

ron

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Your printing bill is high... how many students/staff are you catering for?

You definitely need some print management software... Papercut and Print Manager Plus are 2. Search for them on here; there are plenty of threads on the pros and cons of using them.

To implement this software successfully, you must have the full backing of your SLT. Without this, you may as well not bother as limits will be lifted and everyone will carry on as usual. You'll also need to cultivate your thick skin as implementing doesn't put you on many people's list of favourites!
    We have 750 pupils and 75 staff. How does the software you mentioned work? It's knowing how to charge the right departments for what they print, how can I prevent us charging a department for prints that they never printed.

Thank Post
    We have a company getting us a quote on printers/copiers for lease or to buy that will charge per page
    Get a couple more quotes, ask the companies to throw in some print management software in the price.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Wow thirty to fifty thousand on printing? Is your toner made of gold flakes?

For the amount of staff you say you have that seems ridiculous.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have 750 pupils and 75 staff. How does the software you mentioned work? It's knowing how to charge the right departments for what they print, how can I prevent us charging a department for prints that they never printed.
    Wow! I've been complaining about spending around £8k per year on toner. A couple of things have helped here.

We use a local franchisee of Lasertech for compatible toner. They take away old carts and credit us for them. Also the compats are good quality and generally cheaper than original toner. On the rare occasion I get a faulty cart they replace it no questions!

The other thing that as helped loads, as has been mentioned by others, is Papercut NG. Fantastic software.

It pulls down your users from AD and monitors their prints. You can assign costs to print for each printer. And factor in diferences in colour printer or A3 printing, etc. I can now clearly see who is printing what and how much it is costing.

Because each department have their own printer and printers are assigned in AD according to department, I can also see which department prints the most (Maths ).

To get the most out of Papercut you need a good OU structure in AD to report off of and a good printer install policy - so you know defintively what machines can and cant print to each printer.

13. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

ron (13th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use papercut here (well, PaperCut MFD, as it integrates with our 2 Ricoh copiers).

It works by either pre-assigning funds to users (or accounts, which can be shared between users), or by invoicing users for work they've done. This is logged against usernames, so you can only be invoiced for stuff you've printed.

We are a 600 pupil, 70 staff school, and we spend a maximum of £10k in printing charges for our copier and non-charge per page machines (ie. toners).

What printers do you currently use? Also, do people just print loads of colour documents?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts

We have Print Manager Plus (PMP), but PaperCut works in a pretty similar way.

Basically you impose a set of printing rules through the software saying who can print what and to which printer(s). The main software is on the server and client software on the PCs talks to the server end every time someone tries to print.

In PMP, I have used AD security groups to impose a print allowance on various groups within the school. This is a money amount and each page is charged according to the rate for the printer concerned. Our ICT Suite Colour Laser is charged at 35p per page and the Mono at 10p per page, for example. We are primary level with 150 users, so MUCH smaller than you.

None of this is 'real' money at our school, the allowance is simply used to put a limit on the printing. at many schools, the printing costs are passed on to departments, or the students.

Using PMP, I can restrict:
    By keyword... e.g. banning things called document1 (i.e. unsaved word documents), banning http printing so students can't print straight from the internet, banning 'Full Page' which stops the Windows Print Manager from printing full page photos, etc

By number...students cannot print more than one copy of anything at a time, staff have a restriction of 3... this is to force staff to use the photocopier which is cheaper per page!

By Repetition... PMP can be set to prevent a job from being repeated within a certain time-scale... stops the teachers trying to get round the above number limit.

You could use the software to impose limits to and to track printing by department, printer or whatever you want.

16. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

ssiruuk2 (10th October 2009)

Thank Post
    We use pcounter here for our print management - an option we don't use it rerouting the jobs to the our photocopiers for cheaper prints, something like this may be very useful in your instance.

Have you considered the use of compatible cartridges?

Thank Post
    We use PMP also for our print management- couldn't live without it! We are a big secondary school 1500 students,150 staff and over 50 printers around the school, half of those are networked. We spend around 6k ish per year on toner and paper.

Thanks Elsiegee40, I have made some changes to our default restrictions for the students after reading your post..why didn't I think of those! Brilliant especially no printing from unsaved word docs and from the browser. I will mention to the staff they will be restricted by copy count also to force use of photocopiers rather than take the easy option and print off class sheets through the laserjets.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast