+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Printing in Technical; Originally Posted by ssiruuk2 We use PMP also for our print management- couldn't live without it! We are a big ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssiruuk2 View Post
    We use PMP also for our print management- couldn't live without it! We are a big secondary school 1500 students,150 staff and over 50 printers around the school, half of those are networked. We spend around 6k ish per year on toner and paper.

Thanks Elsiegee40, I have made some changes to our default restrictions for the students after reading your post..why didn't I think of those! Brilliant especially no printing from unsaved word docs and from the browser. I will mention to the staff they will be restricted by copy count also to force use of photocopiers rather than take the easy option and print off class sheets through the laserjets.
    No problem... I'll dig out my full list of restrictions for you Monday... I've stitched most of the wheezes!

Thank Post
    @ron: You do seem to be getting fleeced on toners at the moment. I use Xerox-branded compats for my LaserJets and have found them to be just as good quality and half the price of the originals - just switching to these cartridges brought the toenr per page cost down to about 0.5p!!!

As for your how to charge who... I use PyKota (open source) and we have a slightly different policy to other schools. Obviously departments get charged for their printing - once a month and it's scary how much they print! Then the little darlings... we give them 1.50 at the start of the year (good for nigh on 300 b&w prints) and once it's used they have to come and buy more credit.

I don't charge for paper costs as departments have to fetch that themselves from reprographics and it's chargd for separately.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Then the little darlings... we give them 1.50 at the start of the year (good for nigh on 300 b&w prints) and once it's used they have to come and buy more credit.
    How does this tie in with the government rules, namely:

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherNet
    Headteachers or governing bodies may ask parents for a voluntary contribution towards the cost of:

any activity that takes place during school hours
    school equipment
    school funds generally.
    The contribution must be genuinely voluntary, though, and the pupils of parents who are unable or unwilling to contribute may not be discriminated against. Where there are not enough voluntary contributions to make the activity possible, and there is no way to make up the shortfall, then it must be cancelled.
    From TeacherNet, A to Z of School Leadership - Charging for activities

and

Quote Originally Posted by Charging for school activities
    School governing bodies and local authorities cannot charge for:
    • education provided during school hours (including the supply of any materials, books, instruments or other equipment);
    Taken from http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=8145

We have been told in no uncertain terms that charging for printing is not allowed.
    Last edited by localzuk; 12th October 2009 at 09:57 AM.

Thank Post
    @localzuk: I don't know... it's how it has always been. I suppose that you could argue that the pupils are provided with sufficient funds for their schoolwork and any additional contributions are for personal use.

Thank Post
    @localzuk: .... been having a bit more of a think about this.

1. If a pupil does not bring a pen to school, they cannot do their work. Should the school, therefore, provide pens to all their pupils? Where does this leave the running of a school staionery shop?

2. If we were to stop our current policy and allow the students to print willy-nilly, we would not be able to afford the printing bills. Does this mean that we should cancel the 'activity' (as stated above)?

3. Do the above guidelines realte to both high school and sixth form students alike?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As long as you provide a reasonable amount of free credit that allows them to complete their work to a reasonable standard, i could see no issue with it.

And printing is not a required object to complete their work (eg: they can submit it via email/vle ect) so its not really discriminating against them either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @localzuk: .... been having a bit more of a think about this.

1. If a pupil does not bring a pen to school, they cannot do their work. Should the school, therefore, provide pens to all their pupils? Where does this leave the running of a school staionery shop?

2. If we were to stop our current policy and allow the students to print willy-nilly, we would not be able to afford the printing bills. Does this mean that we should cancel the 'activity' (as stated above)?

3. Do the above guidelines realte to both high school and sixth form students alike?
    My daughter's school has a similar policy to yours Ric_ . They allow 3 per year and after that you have buy your own credits. With their OLE being available from home, she tends to print school work at home.

Son never seems to be able to print anything at his school and always ends up printing at home.

ron

Thank Post
    Some good responses. We did try compatible toners but 80% of them were duds! I'm sure it was Lasertech as one person mentioned but when we last tried to contact them we were informed that they were no longer in business. The company that we bought 2 of our photocopiers from did a print audit for us and mentioned pcounter. We are seeing the rep soon and will find out more then. We have around 20 Dell laser printers.

Thank Post
    We use papercut here to manage our printing system, introduced this year.

Students have a 5 allowance, with printing changed at 5p per B/W and 10p per colour printout. This is a termly allowance for years 10 and 11 who have a lot of coursework to print, and a bi-termly allowance for other year groups, and they can accumulate it.

Staff have a 10 personal allowance with the same printing charges, and also have a 50 department allowance (although we are looking at setting different limits for different departments next year based on what they have printed this year.) with papercut you can get a popup box to be displayed which summerises the print job, and the member of staff can them tell the program what account to charge depending on what they are printing. This extra step has really made staff think about what they are printing.

No one can print any more than 3 copies of a document, they're suppsoed to use photocopying for this.

Duplicate documents submitted within 5 minutes get disallowed to stop circumnavigating this rule

Student print jobs have to be authorised by a member of staff before they can print. I've set papercut to stick them in a holding queue, and given a basic print management login to staff members so they can login and release print jobs. Any print job not released gets deleted after 30mins. This caused confusion when first introduced, but has been very successful at stopping wastage.

Mike.

10. Thanks to maniac from:

skunk (13th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Student print jobs have to be authorised by a member of staff before they can print. I've set papercut to stick them in a holding queue, and given a basic print management login to staff members so they can login and release print jobs. Any print job not released gets deleted after 30mins. This caused confusion when first introduced, but has been very successful at stopping wastage.

Mike.
    I've tried that in the past but was met with reluctance due to the teacher having to release print jobs. Not everyone saw it as a money saving idea, but rather an increase in workload idea(not their job - non teaching work). I ended up changing credits to be renewed daily so if I was every off, the pupils only had to wait 1 day if they had used up their credit. This was set up using PMP. A LOT of wasted prints was cut down in the first month while people were getting used to resticted printing, and we managed to get the messasge accross it was only to be used for school work. Wasted prints have also been reduced with the introduction of the VLE and submitting work online. In my opinion PMP is the best money the school ever spent and more than paid for itself after the first year.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    Some good responses. We did try compatible toners but 80% of them were duds! I'm sure it was Lasertech as one person mentioned but when we last tried to contact them we were informed that they were no longer in business. The company that we bought 2 of our photocopiers from did a print audit for us and mentioned pcounter. We are seeing the rep soon and will find out more then. We have around 20 Dell laser printers.
    Lasertech UK Ltd

Lasertech are certainly still in business. My local franchasee does a very good turn of business from both myself and other local high schools. We get sameday delivery on orders, no quible swaps on duds and money back on empty returns.

I can count on one hand the number of dud's I've had in the past four and half years. Both the duds this year wear for the HP CLJ 5550dtn.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12