+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, SmartBoard Issues in Technical; Having a very strange issue with some a smart board so thought i would put it to the unmeasurable intellect ...
    Thank Post

SmartBoard Issues

Having a very strange issue with some a smart board so thought i would put it to the unmeasurable intellect of the edugeek users.

Recently we have replaced the motherboard in a teachers machine which is hooked up to a smart board, prior to the motherboard change the board worked perfectly. Now every time anyone logs in the board has a red light on it and the machine reports an error on a human interface device.

Pull out the usb connector and plug it back in the light turns green the board works for about ten seconds then cuts off again.

Uninstall the human interface device, scan for new hardware, light goes green for another 10 seconds.

This as far as i can tell is an issue with the motherboard settings, but they are all set to default, as far as usb is concerned.

I have tried disabling the serial and parallel ports, this has not effect so am assuming it is not a resource issue.

The New motherboard is an Asus M2N68-AM SE2, os is WinXP sp3, smart drivers i have tried multiple versions.

Has any one seen or heard of this issue before?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdermott View Post
    Having a very strange issue with some a smart board so thought i would put it to the unmeasurable intellect of the edugeek users.

Recently we have replaced the motherboard in a teachers machine which is hooked up to a smart board, prior to the motherboard change the board worked perfectly. Now every time anyone logs in the board has a red light on it and the machine reports an error on a human interface device.

Pull out the usb connector and plug it back in the light turns green the board works for about ten seconds then cuts off again.

Uninstall the human interface device, scan for new hardware, light goes green for another 10 seconds.

This as far as i can tell is an issue with the motherboard settings, but they are all set to default, as far as usb is concerned.

I have tried disabling the serial and parallel ports, this has not effect so am assuming it is not a resource issue.

The New motherboard is an Asus M2N68-AM SE2, os is WinXP sp3, smart drivers i have tried multiple versions.

Has any one seen or heard of this issue before?
    no, but our boards have a USB to serial convertor (from smart) which appears as a convertor in device manager. if you have one of these try reinstalling that.

Thank Post
    You need to un-install all the smartboard software. Un-plug the USB cable, re-start the pc. Install the smartboard software without the board plugged in (this is a must). re-start after the installation even though it trys to detect the board - plug in the board once the machine is back into XP.

4. Thanks to WBSLTD from:

jmcdermott (15th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quite a few people round here have had issues with smartboards that have been resolved by adding a powered USB hub.

6. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WBSLTD View Post
    You need to un-install all the smartboard software. Un-plug the USB cable, re-start the pc. Install the smartboard software without the board plugged in (this is a must). re-start after the installation even though it trys to detect the board - plug in the board once the machine is back into XP.
    Just tried that with no joy same issue. thank you anyway.

Thank Post

firmware, and power saving

i would try to flash the latest firmware to the smartboard, and then i would check the power saving settings on the usb port that the board is connected to.
    hope that might help

9. Thanks to farmerste from:

Thank Post
    Sounds like the motherboard is limiting the amount of power the board can have. Might be a long shot but have you got something similar like 'legacy usb devices' turned off in the BIOS?

11. Thanks to BaccyNet from:

Thank Post
    Disable the selective suspend feature

The Selective Suspend feature suspends the USB device to efficiently maintain battery power by enabling the computer to turn off the USB device. However, sometimes this feature may not correctly wake up the USB device. Therefore, the USB device is unresponsive when you try to use it.

Browse to or create registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\usb

Add these dwords if not allready present

USBBIOSHACKS 0

USBBIOSx 0

DisableSelectiveSuspend 1

13. Thanks to platinum from:

Thank Post
    I had something similar on a brand new laptop. I got the human interface device to install properly by plugging the board into the laptop first, before installing any other software beyond the op sys.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread