+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, CD Drive Elastic Bands in Technical; I'm sure this must be a common problem but I have yet to find a solution. Kids are constanly pulling ...
    Thank Post

CD Drive Elastic Bands

I'm sure this must be a common problem but I have yet to find a solution.

Kids are constanly pulling elastic bands out of the CD/DVD drives in school. This renders the drive useless and i can't find anywhere to buy replacements.

Are all the bands a standard size?

They must be dirt cheap but where can i buy a box of 100 from?

Thank Post

Re: CD Drive Elastic Bands

The solution we had was to remove all the CD-ROM drives. Not the answer you was looking for by a long shot I know, but it was part of the crack down on vandalism in the ICT Suites.

It's also another method of stopping the little darlings from ripping CD music to their home folders.

Have you tried contacting the actual drive manufacturer at all?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You also might want to think about putting cameras in the rooms to catch the little blighters at it.

Thank Post

this is still a problem for us as well. when we bought a whole load of new machines recently they all came with dvd re-writers (we didn't ask for them, but our supplier had quoted us a price and by the time he had taken delivery of the machines the price he was charged had dropped, so he threw in the dvd re-writers) and we knew they'd be damaged if left in the machines. so we removed them and temporarily put in an extra blanking plate, with a few spots of super glue so that they wouldn't be punched in. the upshot was that we got a call from one of the it suites the following day that one of the machines wouldn't start. on investigation, the blanking plates had been punched in, and someone had reached in and stolen the memory.
    que sera, sera.

Thank Post

Best solution is to have the whole pc's out of sight of the pupils/staff/everyone.

Not expensive either - a few cheap cupboards (and a good lock on each one) with the backs knocked out (providing the backs are going to be against the wall lol) and some ps/2 & vga extension leads (usb extension leads if youre gonna be allowing USB pen devices and audio extension leads if your gonna have speakers/headphones attached to the side of the monitors or something) and some 4/6-way power extension blocks (or whatever they are called) and you are laughing

Works for me - the systems just run and they cant do bugger all to mess them up - GP permitting

[i might post the pics some day ]

Regards
    N.

Thank Post

We have the same problem here. One thing we have done here is just take the power cable out of the back o fthe CD rom drive. Stops them being able to open the drives and they still act a blanking plate. Bit of an expensive solution I know but better than memory being knicked.

Most of the drives we have got recently are cogs inside rather than bands but I wonder how long it will be befoer they stop working!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by british-wave
    We have the same problem here. One thing we have done here is just take the power cable out of the back o fthe CD rom drive. Stops them being able to open the drives and they still act a blanking plate.
    No it doesn't. You can just stick a bent paper clip in the manual release (small hole in the facia under the drive tray, usually near the eject button).

Thank Post

Kids tend not to have paper clips on them at this school.

If it easnt easy for them then they wont bother. Putting somthing in to release the drawer is too much hassle.

metalmonkey

We had this exact issue with kids flicking the bands out of the cd drive.

We bought from our local post office the smalled elastic bands we could find to replace them (those that wasnt found in the back of the cd drive!) and this worked. They were no bigger than a 5 pence piece. The kicks got bored of flicking them off when we kept replacing them.

Thank Post

We have done the same as ninjabeaver there is no real reason for them to have them and all new PC's that will be purchased from here on in will not have CD'd or floppies in them.

As we RIS and GPO install software theres no need for it and make s the PC just that little bit more cheaper.

If however we need to manually install simply attach that nice new sparkly CD drive that you have in your office and away you go.

To date i have yet to fond anywhere where you can get the bands and I don't think there is a standard either.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ok, thats great but what do ypu do about USB pen drives. Yu can explode the USB interface with a well aimed paper clip you know...

Thank Post

Geoff,

I am aware about the USB ports, but to date we have not had any issues.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Ok, thats great but what do ypu do about USB pen drives. Yu can explode the USB interface with a well aimed paper clip you know...
    Feel free to send them to me if you like lol

Thank Post

I agree with ICTNUT. Every PC I've bought in the past 2 years has no laptop or optical drives (I always specify that). I just make sure the machines are PXE bootable so I can use RIS to set the up.

So far I haven't found a reason for installing floppy or optical drives in pupils' machines. They never use them anyway, just vandalise them!

If they do want to access something from a CD, I copy it to a share and put a link on the start menu.

Thank Post

Well, from the amount of views this post has had we obviously need to find an answer to the orginal question.

Thanks to MetalMonkey who gave the suggestion of using normal tiny elastic bands. Although i'm a bit worried of how long they will last. Still a good answer for the short term.

The fact is not to do with how I can get around working without a CD drive it is for the studnets in music burning their latest tracks and for media studies creating DVDs to add to their showreel or show family and for a cheap way for staff to copy presentations and most of all give the users something familiar to their home pcs (if lucky enough to own one) and try to make every PC similarly accessible to any of the technophobes that dares to use the technlogy.

Please post solutions like MetalMonkey not alternatives.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast