+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, CD Drive Elastic Bands in Technical; How about having a few external USB CDRW's that you could loan out to kids/staff? At least if they got ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: CD Drive Elastic Bands

How about having a few external USB CDRW's that you could loan out to kids/staff? At least if they got broke you'd know who to send the bill to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've brought this up again because I'm sick of the kids doing this!! On some machines it actually slows them down because they are constantly trying to check the cd drive.

Also today i found a penny in a drive... how or why is another question.

Might try the small 'laccy bands... but i'd prolly just be doing that forever.

I wish the children were better supervised and then things like this wouldn't happen.

However, I've never seen anything been stolen from the inside of a computer even if the plates have been compromised!!

Thank Post
    Sadly, with the current price of CD/DVD drives, and the amount of time it takes to get an elastic band in place, you have to wonder which is more cost effective and time-efficient.

Thank Post
    I now purchase PC's without the optical drives in them. Unless they is a reason for your machines having them I would replace them with blanking plates as discussed.

The only machines I have with Optical drives are the Teacher PC's connected to the IWB's.

Thank Post
    I wish the children were better supervised and then things like this wouldn't happen.
    I think we have a winner!

But yes common solutions seem to be;-

Not to buy optical drives
    Customer removes power from the drive

Coins in the drives don't happen often but when they do sometimes I have seen them short on the IDE interface and actually prevent the PC from posting.

Yu can explode the USB interface with a well aimed paper clip you know...
    Indeed also with USB internal card readers those compact flash slots are just dying out for some little darling to stick thier front door key into and take out the card reader and/or mainboard (I have a nice picture of a mainboard with a blown USB controller where a child has attacked the card reader) Funnily enough it mainly happens for this particular customer in thier library area with the PC's in the classrooms not being touched.

Thank Post
    We bought CD-ROMs that had cogs and not band driven. Was a pain to find them, but saves the hassle of the bands going missing. So far no problem with USB ports

Thank Post
    We just buy them with out - really can't see why they would need a drive, when they can use a usb stick. Only teacher machines have drives.

Thank Post
    we don't fit them to "own build" machines we deploy, but for Dells etc that ship with them, yes..I pull the power. The kids are too dense to think of a paperclip..and I swear none of them even know what the manual release is.

As to rubber bands..heh. I used to have to replace them on Amstrads 3 inch drives..what fun.

Thank Post
    We had all sorts of vandalism in our school, because all of our ICT rooms are quite close to each other, we came up with an idea to use one large unused office and build that into a data centre where we rack mounted all of our PCs into 2u racks (not citrix clients but proper intel machines). As large runs of cables were required we used PS2/USB/VGA over cat5 to send the signal these long distances.

It is a higher cost because you got to factor in these cat5 extenders, racks and all associated equipment, air conditioning as well but because all your PCs are central in one area you will find you have less issues with the equipment and all pupils see on their desk is a flat screen, ps2 mice and kb and usb port. The benefit is cables cannot be seen with this solution and the secure TFT mount will hide the cables. we purchased tft mounts from a company called Toptec.

It has cut our maintenance costs by replacing 2/3 mice a month (previously this would have been about 20/30 mice) and it is a really tidy solution, and if you have an IT room where it gets really hot, this makes a drastic difference as your PCs are not in the same room and TFTs generate really low heat so you staff and pupils dont get too uncomfortable.

It works really great for us. Touch wood we have not had an air conditioning failure but if that happened that would cause a slight inconvienance, but nowadays you get a temporary solution and hire an airconditioner in a number of hours. We have 4 IT rooms and the library running throiugh our data centre and it works a treat. This solution was built on the top floor of our school but we can still send these cat5 cables down to the ground floor. You can basically send it a maximum of 90m.

We guarantee that all PCs are operational with this solution to the teachers and so far (its been in place for 4 years) its worked really well. We have 2 backup rack machines so if one fails, the technician can swop it in an instance and then take the failed machine away for maintenance.

Would recommend it to anyone especially if you have issues with vandalism, IT rooms getting warm, IT teams wanting centralised management of their machines. You can pull machines out the racks to do maintenance which makes it far easier as well.

I am happy to send some pictures if required. I can even put you in touch with company who did the installation for us. They are based in Bham. I am hoping once our new school website is complete I can put some pictures on there.

It be good actually if any other school have done this type of solution.

Thank Post

Elastic Bands

We looked into the elastic band idea and it seems No8's are a good match but you might want to go smaller as there is a good bit of stretch in elastic bands, also No12's are hard to come buy in NI anyway.
    Last edited by dfinney695; 15th September 2009 at 01:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    No it doesn't. You can just stick a bent paper clip in the manual release (small hole in the facia under the drive tray, usually near the eject button).
    A little superglue works wonders!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12