+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, Different versions of Promethean boards in Technical; Our school's got around seven TDS boards and it's a pain having to explain to staff that they can't have ...
    Thank Post

Re: Different versions of Promethean boards

Our school's got around seven TDS boards and it's a pain having to explain to staff that they can't have activstudio 2 on them.
    The fact that there's different electronics is irrelevent, as the staff only use the basics - surely the only real hardware difference is that the TDS boards don't have the built in wireless comms that the promethean boards do.
    We have a site licence for Activstudio 2, so can't we be supplied with a version that will work with TDS boards?
    Or is there a firmware update that would help?
    I can't imagine our school going for what I would think is a prohibitively expensive upgrade

Richie

Thank Post

Richard

I think you have hit the nail on the head, We market these boards not for education purposes, but resellers sell them into education with PX (boardmate at the time), at a lower cost, ie the saving for the developement cost of activstudio or activprimary, therefore you are paying the extra now rather than at the time of purchase.

A firmware upgrade will not help.

The license states

This agreement permits you to install and use one copy of this application on a single computer that acts as host to a Promethean Activboard or Activpanel. Presentation of this application on a projector only, or usage with any other manufacturer's tablet or interactive board is a breach of license.

So yes install Activstudio on any pc, for preparation work if you have an agreement with someone here to do so, but it cannot be connected to another manufacturers board.

Thank Post

Ok, so if we wanted to "upgrade" our seven TDS boards, how much is it likely to cost?

Thank Post

Another question: Do we have to buy the upgrade off the original re-seller? We had a bad experiece with the company we bought the first boards off which were all TDS boards. We have recently been using another company for the newer promethean boards. Can not this company provide us with a board upgrade?

Thank Post

I am getting this confirmed and let you know.

Thank Post

Ok

Got word back

you can buy from any reseller you are happy with.

You will need serial numbers, so it maybe worth getting them before phoning, these can be found on the pen holders or on very early boards on the back.

Thank Post

@ drjturner

I wonder if you can help me, I have a new teacher laptop which I am trying to install the latest activ driver on 3.05 (USB), but for some reason when I go to Device Manager and choose to manually install the right driver for the board, it is not bringing up the ActivBoard driver, it will let me choose any device, or all devices.

This is the first time this has happened? Any ideas?

Thank Post

We have a similar problem, we have two types of board in our school, the older boardmate board they say TDS on them, and the newer promethean board, the drivers all work on the TDS boards but when it comes to opening up activstudio 2 it brings up an error message asking to connect the promethean board.

If we put the older boardmate driver on the board connects up to activstudio fine with no problems, it can be quite a pain if teachers try and move around the school, so we just told them they can only move rooms if they dont move there laptops.

I havnt been able to find a solution to this, or even someone who also has this problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123