+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Installing rack mounted server in Technical; Hi all Just wondering how hard it is to install a rack mounted server into a cabinet. We have a ...
    Thank Post

Post Installing rack mounted server

Hi all

Just wondering how hard it is to install a rack mounted server into a cabinet. We have a rack cabinet with a number of servers that were not installed by us. I have never actually tried to fit a rack mounted server into a server cab with all the rails and things and did not want to make a balls up if it is really awkward to do.

Nothing to worry about? Any tips?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Follow the instructions to mount the rails or shelf in your cabinet, make sure they're secure and then get at least one other person to help you slide the server onto them.

3. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

dalsoth (25th September 2009)

Thank Post
    HP ones are a doddle. You mount the rails then just slide the server in (it might help to have an extra pair of hands)

I had to install an RM Smartcache which was a pain the proverabial. The server case had about 25 bolt holes on each side of which only about three lineed up with any of the 15 bolt holes on the rails.

5. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Thank Post
    Depends on the server, but as others have said if you follow the instructions it should be simple. Dell Rapid Rails are generally very good. It's normally just a case of fitting the rails to the server and putting the mounting rails in the cabinet, then click, slide, click, smile.

(definitely a two person job like powdarrmonkey said, don't attempt by yourself)

7. Thanks to Duke from:

Thank Post
    I did this recently and it wasn't as easy as it looked to be honest, but don't let that put you off, as it's not impossible. Just be patient. It's also a great opportunity to test your vocabularly.

9. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Thank Post
    To be fair I have done it by myself, but the difficulty always comes when it's half way into the rails and you realise you can't manage... it hurt my foot quite a lot

11. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    HP ones are a doddle. You mount the rails then just slide the server in (it might help to have an extra pair of hands)

I had to install an RM Smartcache which was a pain the proverabial. The server case had about 25 bolt holes on each side of which only about three lineed up with any of the 15 bolt holes on the rails.
    Great! You can guess then that it is a Smartcache that i am looking to put in

I was going to ask if i could get away with doing it by myself but you have all answered this already and i kind of knew when i had to help an engineer last time.

Never really paid much attention to what he was doing as he had to call for help 20 times as nothing fitted or worked the way he was expecting.

I presume this will take a fair amount of time to do?

Thank Post
    1U servers I've always managed to do by myself (also used to tube across london with 1U server...), and I also did our robotic tape library and 2U SAN without difficulty (just remove as many removeable parts as possible to reduce weight). I did struggle with the 3U UPS on my own... but it can be done... just plan your rack for the weight (UPS at bottom, so it's more tilting it up than lifting).

As the the kit in question, the best question is - would you feel confident and comfortable with fitting the rails, then lifting and fitting the server? If you're not, then get some help in. It may be that after seeing it being done, you'll be more confident for the next time you need to rack something up.

14. Thanks to Willott from:

Thank Post
    Bracketing / shelving is easy enough.
    Always ask a trusty pair of hands to help.
    If you tell the other person that it's important, they can't fail to help.
    (plus, think of the consequences of dropping it)
    It's not worth the risk.

Chunks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also beware cheap racks. They will bend and warp under weight making fitting new kit and moving old kit in/out difficult or even impossible.

This usually happens when someone has the clever idea of trying to use a comms cabinet for servers.

Thank Post
    As this is your first rack installation I would use suggest you follow these simple guidelines

Before you start, think about power, cable management and network connectivity. These vital elements of racking kit are often overlooked and without consideration could see you fail at the first hurdle.

TIME: Make sure you allocate enough time to complete to install.

TOOLS: Depending on the fixings, rails etc, you may require a screwdriver to mount brackets on the device (I think a SmartCache may be one of these devices)

FIXINGS: Ensure you have the correct fixings, cage nuts etc. before you start.

HELP: As other have also recommended, another pair of hands is very handy, I can assure you that balancing a 2U server on your head trying to locate lugs on a rack rail is not much fun!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread