+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, ICT Upgrade advice PLEASE! in Technical; Originally Posted by dhicks Spend your money on installing ceiling-mounted projectors and speakers in classrooms. Use the newest PCs as ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Spend your money on installing ceiling-mounted projectors and speakers in classrooms. Use the newest PCs as thin client servers, with the VGA output connected to the classroom projector. Take the laptops out of the trolley and leave them in classrooms, plugged in to power and network, as thin clients. Aim for banks of half a dozen, don't worry about having a whole class "computer room" - integrate ICT into the curriculum and have pupils use the computers in the classrooms. Sell the trolley on eBay. Have the teacher laptops control the server/projector screens via VNC. Buy some decent wireless keyboards and mice for the teachers.

--
    David Hicks
    Oh my gosh, more to consider and what's even more scarey is that I don't understand all the jargon!

I will run the idea about thin clients by our technician but I think the problem we will have is that there is not enough space in the classrooms to have enough laptops out permanently, hence the idea of using trollies.

Thanks for your ideas David.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    No disrespect, but if you havent got much experience then you need someone who knows about vanilla and who can help you quite a lot in the first instance. I have been a techie for some time and only recently have I felt confident enough to venture into vanilla territory.
    Some of the guys here forget (or never knew!) how hard things are if you have never done anything like it before.
    I honestly believe that some sort of managed system would be best - if you are as inexperienced as you suggest, then it is too much to expect you to cope with everything mentioned so far.
    I don't rate RM very much and from what I have read, CC4 is a bit of a problem but if your techie is good and seems to think that he can cope, I would probably go with that.
    As for the rest - a good IT suite is still needed - it is all very well integrating IT into the curriculum but there are times when a whole class need to get on to the machines.
    The next thing is to make sure the laptops work with the wireless and speak to the tech about upgrading the wireless network if poss.
    Finally, each teacher should have either a laptop or a classroom computer, along with an interactive whiteboard and projector.
    I work in Primary and Middle, and spent 7 years in a First school so I have a good idea of what is needed in the earlier years at school.
    PM me if you need any help with anything

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by melart View Post
    the problem we will have is that there is not enough space in the classrooms to have enough laptops out permanently, hence the idea of using trollies.
    You could make small hinged tables for them attached to the walls. Fold them away when not in use. A standard filing cabinet will hold laptops quite nicely, too.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12