+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Format wipe computer declaration in Technical; Hi, Apologies if this is the wrong forum... I have looked and search around but cannot find anything like this... ...
    Thank Post

Format wipe computer declaration

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum... I have looked and search around but cannot find anything like this...
    I need a letter/declaration to give to staff when they need their PC/laptop wiping and reinstalling, basically stating that they are responsible for the backup and content of their equipment and that they sign to say its ok to format the PC. Had too many members of staff with broken laptops thinking its my responsibility to magic their corrupted data out of thin air! Despite multiple kicks up the a*** to get them to back up to memory stick or home directory...

Does anyone have anything like this that they wouldn't mind letting me take a look at?

Many thanks,

Thank Post
    Off the top of my head:

The school/college/institution* provides safe storage space on a network location for your personal and shared files. This is the only location which is backed up and protected against disaster.

Environmental events, user error or actions to repair your laptop may permanently damage or destroy files on the hard drive, which cannot be recovered. You are responsible for ensuring that files are stored in the approved location and you take sole responsibility for any other files you may require.

In requesting that maintenance be performed on your laptop, you assert that the data stored on it may be safely destroyed without loss.

*delete as appropriate

Thank Post
    powdarrmonkey: Excellent, thanks. That sounds good.

Any other suggestions? or items to add to that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes you have to make an attempt at recovery though ... so how about this as an addition to make sure they tell you before the machine is wiped!

Should you require any attempt to recover data prior to repairs being carried out you must inform the support team from the outset, understanding that this can be a lengthy process, is not always successful and will require you to be without your laptop / desktop / device for more than a week. This recovery is not available post repair unless agreed with the Head / (SLT line manager of the support team).

HTH

Thank Post
    I considered adding that, but the danger is always that it sounds like the user can ask support to get their files off for them before starting maintenance, which is just lazy.

So I would add to GD's clause something like "Data recovery will only be attempted if a file is inaccessible to you as an ordinary user; it is not an alternative to ensuring your files are safe before requesting maintenance."

Thank Post
    Thanks guys,
    Full approved wording below - for anyone else who will find it useful.

ERADICATION OF DATA FROM IT EQUIPMENT

The school provides safe storage space on a network location for your personal and shared files. This is the only location which is backed up and protected against disaster.

In the event of problems occurring with your device, files may be permanently damaged and cannot be recovered. You are responsible for ensuring that files are stored in the approved location and you take sole responsibility for any other files you may require.

In requesting that maintenance be performed on the above IT equipment, should you require any attempt to recover data prior to repairs being carried out you must inform IT Services from the outset. You must understand that this can be a lengthy process, is not always successful and will require you to be without your device for longer than otherwise required. Data recovery is not an alternative to ensuring your files are safe before requesting maintenance. This recovery is not available post-repair. Otherwise, by signing below, you assert that the data stored on the above device may be safely destroyed without loss.

I confirm that all data stored on the above-mentioned equipment is no longer required / has been backed up to at least one other destination*. All data on this equipment can be eradicated.

Signed: _________________________

Name: _________________________

Role: _________________________

Date: _________________________

IT SERVICES USE ONLY:
    I confirm that all data stored on the above-mentioned equipment has been electronically purged according to the methods recommended by IT Services for redeployment of IT equipment / for disposal of IT equipment*.

Signed: _________________________

Name: _________________________

Role: _________________________

Date: _________________________
    Thanks for your help, from a person who is an awful wordsmith!

7. 3 Thanks to Craggus2000:

GrumbleDook (7th October 2009), OutToLunch (8th October 2009), soveryapt (7th October 2009)

Thank Post
    I've got a couple of staff I know (from previous experience) that I will have problems with now they have their new shiny laptops, so I've already implemented a laptop loan agreement (to make sure they realise THE LAPTOP BELONGS TO THE SCHOOL IT IS NOT THEIR PERSONAL PROPERTY WITH A TRAINED MONKEY TO SORT THEIR PROBLEMS OUT *coughs* sorry .. did I shout that?) but when they come back going "BOOHOOHOO .. my laptop's broken 'cos I tried to install something on it" or whatever their excuse it I can have this at the ready!

Trust me, one person is that bad that day in day out, I had problems with their desktop computer failing, flashing virus threats on Sophos and other things, they were off for 3 months on some further advanced training or something, and no problems with the machine at all, within 30mins of them getting back to school, I had to go and fix the computer!

I tell ya, some people ought not to be let loose with ICT equipment .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    agreed there!

Thank Post
    Tell me about it.
    Its got to me that much with people not backing up data on their laptop (thinking we can back it up across mid-air, esp when its not turned on...!). Currently reviewing/creating policies for as much IT related issues as possible...

Any suggestions for policies to put in place?
    Bearing in mind we currently don't have any.

I've pretty much got the AUP nailed, but am considering separate ones for wireless access on school and personal laptops (yes i know, but SLT have said they want students to be able to use their own laptops on the internet - good job we can buy student mcafee licenses for less than £1). Got a ruckus wlan in place to restrict where they will be able to get to so that should also help.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I've got a couple of staff I know (from previous experience) that I will have problems with now they have their new shiny laptops, so I've already implemented a laptop loan agreement (to make sure they realise THE LAPTOP BELONGS TO THE SCHOOL IT IS NOT THEIR PERSONAL PROPERTY WITH A TRAINED MONKEY TO SORT THEIR PROBLEMS OUT *coughs* sorry .. did I shout that?) but when they come back going "BOOHOOHOO .. my laptop's broken 'cos I tried to install something on it" or whatever their excuse it I can have this at the ready!
    It's a pity there's no easy way to ensure that LFTs break completly when they attempt to install software. Especially when it's a piece of malware they are attempting to install.

Trust me, one person is that bad that day in day out, I had problems with their desktop computer failing, flashing virus threats on Sophos and other things, they were off for 3 months on some further advanced training or something, and no problems with the machine at all, within 30mins of them getting back to school, I had to go and fix the computer!

All too often these are those who claim to "need" it most.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craggus2000 View Post
    Tell me about it.
    Its got to me that much with people not backing up data on their laptop (thinking we can back it up across mid-air, esp when its not turned on...!). Currently reviewing/creating policies for as much IT related issues as possible...

Any suggestions for policies to put in place?
    Bearing in mind we currently don't have any.

I've pretty much got the AUP nailed, but am considering separate ones for wireless access on school and personal laptops (yes i know, but SLT have said they want students to be able to use their own laptops on the internet - good job we can buy student mcafee licenses for less than £1). Got a ruckus wlan in place to restrict where they will be able to get to so that should also help.
    Have a look through the wiki and please add your additions to it (or post it to a helpful wiki monkey)

It is sometimes hard to get policies out of folk to share so please, please continue to do so.

http://www.edugeek.net/wiki/index.php/School_Policies

Thank Post
    Added the secure wipe declaration, will add others when I have them finalised.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread