+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, What printers do you use? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    Is a cost effective printer? with consumables etc?

Also how much can you do a hp cp1515n for?
    The Brother is definately more economical than the HP in running costs. Just a quick check on dabs shows that each colour on the brother is £85 excl VAT for 4000 quoted pages, and the HP 1515 is £40 per colour for 1400 quoted pages (so you get 3000 on the HP for the same price as you get 4000 on the Brother).

Not saying that the Brother is very economical though, as it's still a cheap budget printer, but is at least cheaper to run than the HP. If you're budget tight, there isn't any point suggesting more expensive printers, although just bear in mind you'll need more money in the long run to keep it going, so you will probably be worse off over time!

2. Thanks to dgsmith from:

CPLTD (15th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    The Brother is definately more economical than the HP in running costs. Just a quick check on dabs shows that each colour on the brother is £85 excl VAT for 4000 quoted pages, and the HP 1515 is £40 per colour for 1400 quoted pages (so you get 3000 on the HP for the same price as you get 4000 on the Brother).

Not saying that the Brother is very economical though, as it's still a cheap budget printer, but is at least cheaper to run than the HP. If you're budget tight, there isn't any point suggesting more expensive printers, although just bear in mind you'll need more money in the long run to keep it going, so you will probably be worse off over time!
    depends where you buy your toners fella!!!

Thank Post
    I have bought loads from these guys.

Refurbished Mono LaserJet Printers

Some of have come in with really low page counts i.e. 5000 others up to 40000, however I still have Laserjet 4's running with page counts up to 750000.

So as long as you don't mind re-furbished printers try them out.

Thank Post
    Don't get a CP1515 their paper tray is aweful, we use P2015dn, P2055dn, Brother HL5350dn for mono, colour I would recommend something like a HL CLJ 4600, 4700 or 3600 all seem to be ok.

Thank Post
    I replaced all of our suites with the following printers. Seem good up to now.

Mono: HP P3005N
    Colour: HP CP3505X

Thank Post
    Another fan here of refurbished printers. We buy them from Firstcall Printer Maintenance. They trade on Ebay as Highgate Printers. We tend to buy laserjet 4100N printers for about £70. Together with remanufactured high capacity toners the cost of printing is very low.

Thank Post
    We have Oki for colour and I'm gradually replacing the older HP 40000/4100 with Brother 7050DN / 5270DN. Oh yes duplex, on by default, no-one likes that but me.. meh !

I've also got a few of the Brother MFCs that have the same cartridges, although I have also found a generic cartridge that works in place of a few of them (tn6600, tn3060, tn3170, etc).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Worth knowing that yes the brother has cheap cartridges but it also has about 7 parts to replace unlike the HP which is change cartridge and job done. The Brother has 4 toners, waste, drum and belt all of which need changing thus cheap toners are soon displaced by £150 belts.

I've just been playing with the figures this afternoon for a friends office and on paper he worked out that yes the brother looks cheaper but the HP is much cheaper in the long run for SOHO style use.

Maybe worth giving John Graham at ICT Direct (they are an Edugeek Sponsor) as I know he has a few open boxed HP Colour Lasers in at present are stealable prices!!!! ICT Direct - computer hardware for ict in education - primary, secondary, special needs schools and colleges Very much worth getting in-touch with him.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    depends where you buy your toners fella!!!
    I figured as I was comparing it to the 1515n, which I don't believe had compats, that it would be a fairer comparison (some only prefer OEM, the OP never stated though(!)); besides, John (above) pretty much ripped that comparison to bits somewhat

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Worth knowing that yes the brother has cheap cartridges but it also has about 7 parts to replace unlike the HP which is change cartridge and job done. The Brother has 4 toners, waste, drum and belt all of which need changing thus cheap toners are soon displaced by £150 belts.
    That's a fair point, and as we have only ever had Mono Brother printers, I wouldn't know what their colour ones are like to maintain! I still say it's always worth paying the extra and getting a better printer, as if you say "we only have £X to spend now", well, you'll be spending a hell of alot more than that over the lifetime of the "cheap" printer!

Thank Post
    Another thumbs up for the 4100n, just scrapped one today as its totally failed, could repair it but they wont let me have the cash to repair it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    ...John (above) pretty much ripped that comparison to bits somewhat

...I still say it's always worth paying the extra and getting a better printer, as if you say "we only have £X to spend now", well, you'll be spending a hell of alot more than that over the lifetime of the "cheap" printer!
    It is worth doing your own maths based on usage though. My mate worked out by roughly how many pages he does, that fine the belt claimed to do something like 50K prints, but that's 4 passes a page (unless you print everything on black setting on the driver) thus divide it by 4 and your down to 12,500 pages before that needs to be done, we didn't look up the drum or waste box.

I'm by no means saying the brother is a bad printer, or that style is bad, I myself have 2 Samsung Colour Lasers at home both have separate drums, belts, wastes etc and for my use I will change the printer when they go as for me a 4000 page toner lasts around two years+ so its not a problem and thus the drums, belts etc will last "a life time" as it were and thus once gone will probably get a new printer, but for an IT Room where you may go through 1000 pages a week at peak times (at a guess!) you will soon whizz through 12,500 pages and need another £200 for a new belt or drum and thus the £40 toners are no longer cheap, VS the HP that has built in drums on each cartridge and a new one each time with no other parts to change so its £60 cartridges looks much cheaper in the long run.

Basically do the maths on paper first and work it out, also I don't like the idea of exposed drums and belts + children / teachers with pointy objects = tears of why is the printer putting marks / gaps on everything

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12