+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Laptop Trollys. in Technical; I've been given the money to buy laptops and a trolly. Any recommendations on the trollys? They confuse me. Do ...
    Thank Post

Laptop Trollys.

I've been given the money to buy laptops and a trolly. Any recommendations on the trollys? They confuse me. Do they just come as an empty shell for you to sit for hours wiring the mains adaptors in ? Any good places to buy from? The trolly needs to hold 30 laptops.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,465 Posts

Re: Laptop Trollys.

Depends on what you buy several manfacturers do intelligent charging ones and you tell them make/model of your laptops and/or their chargers and they will sell you a trolley with built in charging, i.e lapsafe but these are very very expensive.

You can also get ones which are basically storage boxes with no build in power so you would have to take the laptop out and plug it in and the other type is ones with build in power strips for you to plug in your existing laptop chargers and charge them that way.

Be aware that a metal box containing 30 laptops is going to be very heavy and you need to consider the health and safety of the person(s) pushing it I wouldn't have thought 1 person alone is acceptable.

We have 4 bretford trolleys and I think they are awful. I've just ordered a 15 bay loxit trolley for my latest ones.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

Yes be very careful on the H&S front as they are extremely heavy with 30, i would recomend two powered trolley's with 15 in each and are you going to be using them wirelessly and do you already have AP's in place. If not some very good inexpensive ones we have tested are buffalo air stations and restricted access by mac filtering for the laptops for teachers and these just work a treat.

Thank Post

hehe when I first read you'd said powered laptop trolleys after reffering to the weight I thought you'd found some trolleys with motors in them

Not a bad idea though.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

We use Lapsafe for our laptop security ... have done for the last few years. They come in a range of models including those with charges specific to laptops ... but we tend to get Chargeline (the plain plug socket) as we swap things around.

Yes ... my school is a case study site for them so a vested interest to be noted here (might as well be honest about it) but they have gone out of their way over the last 2 years with us ... including a complete redesign of one of their cabinets (the Ambassador unit) to meet our needs.

Yes, they are looking into the motorised side of things too ... but I am not sure how far they are with that (probably like most companies right now ... it'll be around at BETT) but if you call and speak to Kate or Mark tell them Tony from Lodge Park sent you.

Thank Post

Hey not a bad idea after all plexer:
    "hehe when I first read you'd said powered laptop trolleys after reffering to the weight I thought you'd found some trolleys with motors in them"
    Maybe some manafacturer could come up with an inexpensive electric motor powered trolley?

Thank Post

I'm thinking about hacking the motor and wheels of an electric golf trolley and seeing if that works

Ben

Thank Post

Good idea! hope youv'e asked your dad first before buggering up his golf trolley hehe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread