+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Home VMware/Dev server recommendations? in Technical; I'm crossing my fingers that 48GB will be in my price range next year You need that? I thought one ...

Thank Post
    I'm crossing my fingers that 48GB will be in my price range next year
    You need that? I thought one of the religious HV vs. ESX points was that ESX overcomitted RAM i.e. allocates what a VM is actually using, not say the 4GB it thinks it has.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    You need that? I thought one of the religious HV vs. ESX points was that ESX overcomitted RAM i.e. allocates what a VM is actually using, not say the 4GB it thinks it has.
    Need it? Probably not right now, but I'm virtualising around 20 servers plus I'll want development machines, and also room to run another virtual network side-by-side for when we switch over to a new server OS so that everything is ready to go. ESX does apparently handle the overcommitting well, but if you could afford 48GB RAM wouldn't you be tempted to cover yourself in the future...?

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    I'll be honest, I've never looked at Xen and if I'm even more honest I don't want to spend time learning yet another system when I'm already pretty comfortable with VMWare (although I've not actually installed ESX4 either). I have a new Intel PCI nic here and definitialy want a 1Gb connection for the backup transfers so I can afford "little" things like that if needs be
    I cant comment on ESXi4 as we moved to xen befoer it came out, but ime Xen is alot more complete in terms of easy access to the bits you need; console, backups, live migration, snapshots, scripting, and a great GUI to manage it all. As ESXi is missing its console you are extreamly limited in what backup options you have, i always felt like my hands were tied... (this may not be true of v4)

Until 6 months ago i hadnt touched Citrix Xen. Now we have a fully home grown openfiler iSCSI san - citrix xen environment. That 6 months includes trialing, learning, implimenting and testing, and probably 4 of those months were spent on Openfiler rather than Xen.

Persoanally i wouldnt dismiss it out of hand because you dont know it, aslong as you click a mouse on the really simple GUI there really is nothing to learn (not at the home user level anyway)
    Last edited by j17sparky; 2nd September 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Explained perfectly thanks..

Is the VMWare Go an equivalent for basic use though? Essentially I'd want the same functionality as I get with VMWare Server Console at the moment (I'm still using VMWare 1.0.7)... Nothing fancy, but certainly I'd want to actually access the Guest OS's

ESX4i?

Ok... confusion starting to creep in
    You can manage it fine with the vSphere client (infact you get FULL esx use for 60 days), you connect directly to the HOST with the vSphere client. You dont need GO for this. GO comes in usefull (i've not seen it yet) when you have multiple ESXi servers.... without GO you'd have to connect to each host seperatly using the vSphere client.

For your ref, and perhaps it'll clear things up... With proper ESX you also need a management server (windows with SQL and a seperate DC (both can be VMs running on the system)) called vCenter. This is a single point of contact (for vSphere clients) that you add your ESX hosts too. vCenter does all the work in a production environment controlling licencing, vmotions etc etc. vCenter is pretty expensive, but under 3 hosts and you get get a 'foundation' licence that is about 1k.

Look up the 'ghetto' scripts for ESXi... you can do some stuff Xen offers for free where MS/VMware charge. Not sure you need migrations for 1 server tho.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 2nd September 2009 at 05:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    You can manage it fine with the vSphere client (infact you get FULL esx use for 60 days), you connect directly to the HOST with the vSphere client. You dont need GO for this. GO comes in usefull (i've not seen it yet) when you have multiple ESXi servers....
    ah... ok... so to bring this back to bare basics... the vSphere client is what used to be the VMWare server console and so long as I'm only using a single host that will suffice... QED: No drama or extra's required.

Most of the stuff re: ESX, management, licenses, cost, etc.. kicks in when you're dealing with multiple hosts and trying to juggle it all... Sort of the KVM switch of the VMWare world... Ok that makes a lot more sense...

Look up the 'ghetto' scripts for ESXi... you can do some stuff Xen offers for free where MS/VMware charge. Not sure you need migrations for 1 server tho.
    Well that was my next thought, ie: migrating a VMWare to a Xen... I'll have the old server (once I transfer it all off) to play with anyway so I may just stick Xen on that when there's more time.. Doesn't hurt to have another skillset or experience... There's just so little time!

Thank Post
    ah... ok... so to bring this back to bare basics... the vSphere client is what used to be the VMWare server console and so long as I'm only using a single host that will suffice... QED: No drama or extra's required.

Most of the stuff re: ESX, management, licenses, cost, etc.. kicks in when you're dealing with multiple hosts and trying to juggle it all... Sort of the KVM switch of the VMWare world... Ok that makes a lot more sense...

Well that was my next thought, ie: migrating a VMWare to a Xen... I'll have the old server (once I transfer it all off) to play with anyway so I may just stick Xen on that when there's more time.. Doesn't hurt to have another skillset or experience... There's just so little time!
    You can also enable a web brower in esxi and use it like vmware server... but I much prefer the client.

My plan was simelar, but finding time for xen seems impossible at the moment.... and the teachers are back tomorrow... noooooooooooooooo

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Exactly, ESXi is the embedded version that's freely available. ESX has more enterprise-level features and is designed for when you're running quite a few hosts and need to manage them all together. I'll need about four physical hosts for all my VMs and want stuff like HA and FT so will be going with ESX. I actually found 4.0 to be a lot nicer to install and get running with my hardware than 3.0 or 3.5.

Make sure whatever hardware you buy will let you fit plenty of RAM as you'll need it if your VM requirements grow. I'm crossing my fingers that 48GB will be in my price range next year.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

ESXi IS ESX without the Linux Console VM. ESXi also happens to have a free version that lacks many features that are common to both ESX and ESXi when *licensed* (them having virtually identical features).

The minor differences:
    ESX can provide guest access to COM/USB ports
    ESXi can be run from USB/Embedded

Both have the same level of managability when used with vCenter.

Oh, and for testing I do recommend the ML115, I have one here for ESXi - cheap and mostly works with ESXi/Xen/Hyper-V

8. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Duke (3rd September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    ESXi IS ESX without the Linux Console VM. ESXi also happens to have a free version that lacks many features that are common to both ESX and ESXi when *licensed* (them having virtually identical features).
    That is a bit odd... I suppose it makes for an easy upgrade route as if you decide you need the features then you just buy a licence.

VMware's website isn't exactly clear on which version you're likely to end up using:

VMware ESXi is the easiest way to get started with virtualization—and it’s free.
    However the VI3 page says:

Customers (of the paid-for version) can choose to deploy either VMware ESX or VMware ESXi.
    Lets add vSphere and Clouds into the mix just to confuse everyone!

DMcCoy - Thanks for clarifying, my mistake!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ServersPlus View Post
    We put a bundle together just the other day that may be just what you're looking for - Take a look and see what you think!

HP ML115 'Ideal Virtualisation Testbed' Bundle | ServersPlus

Cheers
    This is the one to go for - the ML115's are great little quad core VMware test boxes.

Butuz

11. Thanks to Butuz from:

ServersPlus (4th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Finally got myself organised and got one ordered... Had a horrible scare with my old server system and main PC that left me looking at a complete reinstall scenario with newborn baby screaming, etc... in background.

Me thinks £258 is a small price to pay for a bit of pro-active work... Now just got to update my MS Partner subscription..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12