+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Anyone come across NS Optimum before? in Technical; Right then...... do I take it that a few of you have not had a good experience of NS then!?! ...
    Thank Post

Re: Anyone come across NS Optimum before?

Right then...... do I take it that a few of you have not had a good experience of NS then!?!
    Thanks for all the advice, I think I will use them as a 3rd tender option. To tell you the truth, Dell came in above them on price, but only just, so I think I am likely to offer the contract to them.
    Once again thanks for all the advice......ever had the feeling you shouldn't have asked something!!!!

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by jcs808

2) If the first price you quoted wasn’t the lowest you could possibly do, then don’t expect me to call you the next time I need anything.
    At the risk of being controversial, I'm not sure this is reasonable. What does the 'lowest you can possibly do' mean? I believe some companies have offered us computers at below cost price before now in order to get our business and drive us away from our current supplier. We said "No, thanks" to that.

Making it that cut-throat will impact on warranty & support, and in the sort of operation we all have, the user's confidence in you and your system can live or die by the warranty support you receive. Driving prices so low that companies go out of business or are unable to meet their warranty / support comittments only makes sense if you're certain that you won't ever need to go back to that supplier for further business or for any kind of support.

Thank Post

I think what he means (as it is a bugbear of mine too) is suppliers sending in a quote and then pestering afterwards that they can drop the price, or let them know if someone does it cheaper as they'll take some off. Just give us your best price and then the decision can be made. It kind of follows your argument as well in that it stops companies dropping prices to try and cut out others as they never kno what others have submitted.

Thank Post

They pester the ICT Co-ordinator here all the time. Just as well they dont have my name or details......yet.

Thank Post

Money isn't everything... cheap tat can end up costing more in the long run when you consider the time spent looking after it, etc. TCO is everything

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by muppet
    Hi all,
    I have just received a qoute for tender back from 5 companies, one of which was NS Optimum. I was recommended them from a collegue in another school, but wanted to know if anyone else has used them, and if so what do you think of them? I am looking at purchasing 87 desktops, 60 hardend TFT screens and 27 normal TFT's.
    Any info anyone can provide will be gratefully received.
    Many thanks,
    Muppet
    Hi, i've viewed this forum for a while but never posted anything so I hope i'm doing it right..

I've just moved from a NS school and i must say I found no problems at all with the equipment or service, all bar a few problems that were dealt with quickly and to my satisfaction. I have dealt with DELL and RM before, i found them both extremely unflexible when it cam eto problems solving and DELLs support was an absolute joke, when I have a problems I want to talk to someone who speaks English at least.

My last purchase with NS was a few more PC's for the suite, a new server and a trolley of laptops back in April and we had no problems at all. The school I have moved to has a much larger network and I will most definately be bringing NS along with me.

Gordon.

Thank Post

Dont want to say too much here, but our experiance with them has gone from extremely good to pretty god damn awful

Still no problems really with their desktops, but laptops have been steadily declining in quality since christmas - latest batch would barely close properly, almost all randomly reboot and crash.

Its the support really, you send something away and it often not be back for months, and you then discover the same problem is still there or there is a completely new problem. Or you receive another schools computers back

Also cabling - cablers dont turn up when they should, work has become extremely shoddy, and they fail to keep to timeframes agreed

Add to that, sales pressure from them to other companies they know are dealing with us

Not a big fan at all

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseDog
    Ordered some laptops in January with extra batteries and battery chargers.

Overall the equipment was good but it did take a long time for me to receive the battery chargers due to a mix up with the order.

I ended up with 10 power inverters at first which meant I convert a cigarette lighter in the car to a 240V mains socket. Had a few phone calls back asking if I was sure they weren't the right thing.

Laptops arrived in mid February chargers finally arrived in June.

Just had to RMA one of the laptops today (by telephone) and it should be picked up tomorrow. At the moment the online RMA form does not seem to work and I received no response from the email I sent on Thursday.

I'll let you know how quickly they turn it around.

As for a lot of phone calls from them I can only say I experienced this as I let it slip I could do with some other items. Haven't received a sales call since April I think.
    As for the sale call I received one last week maybe even on the day I posted the above.

I received the laptop back today and it appears to be fine. Even recieved a call to tell me it had been received and was going in for testing and I might have it back as early as Friday (just gone). So I can't complain really.

Also had a reply within 10 minutes yesterday when I asked if there was a reason I hadn't got it back on Friday.

So mixed experiences here with them here.

Thank Post

Wish I had found this thread earlier. The new Head at one of my schools brought Optimum in with her and they put in a new computer suite. It was late, but mostly worked. My complaint is the difficulty getting a response out of the company. I told the Head my opinion of optimum but she bought interactive boards off of them- hugely late and poorly installed. Only the invoices were on time, demanding money for work not done! Well, she is now converted.

In my effort to get things done I gave my email and Rose has contacted me......

Thank Post

I wasn't going to post to this thread since its quite old now... but here is my two pence’s worth
    We have two suites from NS Optimum.. and I have to say that we haven’t had any problems with them that haven’t been resolved really, the components they use in the PCs are good like Intel MainBoards. And when we have any that break they are usually turned around within a week or so, we had an engineer on site once, he was good, it was to swap some poor Intel (oem) fans out that were noisy . the Girl I talk two on the Phone (clare) is nice.. and there price is good.. I would certainly consider buying another set of desktops from them. We haven’t ever bought servers or Laptops from them.. I really like the Ergo Laptops we have, and the HP Business notebooks ..

There you go if I could earn 2p like that!!! I’d be a rich man.... well maybe not...

Thank Post

I know that this thread is very old. However i have just experienced NS Optimum and feel like shareing my experiences.

On the site they state that they are a Total ICT provider. I asked them to fit some networked screens - what a nightmare!!!

Finally got the screens fitted after the first 2 fitting dates fell through due to NS Optimums incompetance.

When they arrived the screens where ex demo charged at full RRP - they left the delivery note in the box !!!

The reps you speak to on the phone will promise you the world plus more, then turn round later and not deliver. They told me info that contradicted the manufacturer.

In the words of one of their fitters......they employ lots of temp staff to ring up schools just after april (new tax year) to feed in business and then we bear the brundt when we get on site.

In short, i wouldn't use this company EVER AGAIN.

I now use DABS.com They supply cheap hardware and have a superb warranty. They will even arrange installation via their recommended fitters in your area- all thrown into the quote at a very reasonable price.

More importantly DABS do not lie NS OPTIMUM DO LIE

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Who was your account manager?

Thank Post

Welcome to the club

Thank Post

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................

Thank Post

Well i'll add my thought to this. We've dealt with them for the last 3 years. We ordered 2x servers and 105 workstations 3 years ago. Out of these machines we've had 3 failures due to hardware. 1 HDD and 2 PSU's. These were both sorted next day by them sending out replacement parts.

I can understand what people say about them constanlty ringing as we had this as well until I asked them not to ring as often. Now they ring maybe once a term. I get about 4 emails a term from them with special offers.

We have just ordered 4 new servers and 100 desktops and 48 laptops plus 3 trolleys. They were the best on price for us. The kit is all good quality. New machines are a lot better than the ones from 3 years ago. All use quality parts.

The service we've received is excellent as well. They're always available to speak to an engineer. Mark knows his stuff and if he doesn't he will find out and let us know.

Anyway thats just my 2pence worth.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast