+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Power. in Technical; Has anyone noticed a surge in power supplies popping recently? I certainly have. Outside of work, the number of people ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Power.

Has anyone noticed a surge in power supplies popping recently?

I certainly have. Outside of work, the number of people I'm getting calling me with "my PC has stopped working, it doesn't even turn on" has quadrupled in the last 3 weeks. A couple, with power supplies weighing considerably less than they should, have taken the entire PC with them. A couple have just fried themselves, and a couple have just started randomly rebooting whenever the hell they feel like it.

So, in most of the urgent cases I've been buying power supplies (and should have added some shares in DSGi) left right and centre from PC World and otherwise topping up Ebuyers quotient.

My father has noticed a similar increase of power issues popping equipment in his line of work (static air compressors). I'm wondering then if the grid's gone completely pear shaped of late - maybe just a county wide issue in Northants or is it something larger scale?

Ah well. It's highlighting to people 2 things.

1. The importance of UPS's on mission-critical equipment.
    2. The importance of the PSU in a PC - more so than any other single component. And why we shouldn't be filling the pockets of the likes of Jeantech, Qtec and other 5 PSU manufacturers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Or could it just be the cheapness of components used in the PSUs themselves? Any trend in manufacturer of the knackared PSUs?
    Last edited by webman; 19th August 2009 at 10:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use external power supplies on Dell Optiplex Ultra Small From Factors. A few weeks ago we had 4 go in a space of a week. Im not sure if they went at the same time with it being the holidays

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Out of a delivery of 60 Dell Optiplex 760s [desktop, not small form factor]we have one what I would call a DOA. Appears to be a power supply issue.

While 1 out of 60 is a good ratio for some suppliers I am a little disappointed with Dell on this one.

However it will be a good test for Dell to see how they respond to this call: I cannot fault their performance based on other hardware calls I have made to them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not this year, but 2 years ago I had a nightmare time with them. It is possibly down to a mixture of poor components and fluctuations on the power grid.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    While 1 out of 60 is a good ratio for some suppliers I am a little disappointed with Dell on this one.
    This makes me smile because not very long ago I got flack from a Samsung fanboy for daring to suggest that it was a poor showing for 2 out of 40 of our NC-10s to develop LCD faults within the first month (plus a third with a broken power button). Just shows that some people will simply accept poor QA as par for the course. I think you're right to be disappointed. For what it's worth, none of the 25 Dell machines I've taken delivery of this summer seem to have any problems so far.

Thank Post
    I think dell has there up's and downs like most companies to be honest. I was just getting told the other day that segate had a major drive issue accross 3 series of hard disks that required firmware updates to fix. Manifested itself as random slowness especially on installs. Firmware update only fixes some drives to heh...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We are a 100% Dell site, We dont get mainly problems. The main problems we get are Hard Drive fans failing. Dell are very good with this they just send a new one out on next day delivery.

Z

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    We are a 100% Dell site, We dont get mainly problems. The main problems we get are Hard Drive fans failing. Dell are very good with this they just send a new one out on next day delivery.

Z
    Same, however we did have some hard disks fail in the past but the warrenty's been second to none. Had one laptop they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it so they replaced the whole thing on the 3rd day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Being a Dell Premier Partner you would mabye expect us to agree but latley the support has been questionable, We have logged a few complaints with our acc manager and expect a reply shortly,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Being a Dell Premier Partner you would mabye expect us to agree but latley the support has been questionable, We have logged a few complaints with our acc manager and expect a reply shortly,
    Being a dell partner sucks, the prices arn't the best and they rarely give discount on the home stuff. We're lucky and got moved to major accounts heh.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mbhmirc View Post
    Being a dell partner sucks, the prices arn't the best and they rarely give discount on the home stuff. We're lucky and got moved to major accounts heh.
    as we mainly deal with Education and not home users, we have a superb relationship with Dell whereby we have sucessfully won every quote we have entered as many edugeek members will tell you,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    as we mainly deal with Education and not home users, we have a superb relationship with Dell whereby we have sucessfully won every quote we have entered as many edugeek members will tell you,
    It's for the directors It's obvisouly very diffrent doing commercial and edu Anyway want to take this to pm don't want to be shouted at lol!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mbhmirc View Post
    Anyway want to take this to pm don't want to be shouted at lol!
    dont quite understand your comment fella

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use Pro Support and they are good. We have business support on a batch of machines and the support isn't as good. Its an Indian call centre so thats a pain in itself.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast