+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Servers and SAN - Suggestions? in Technical; Originally Posted by Duke I don't think the 7110 or 7210 will take JBODs, you're limited to the on-board storage. ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

I don't think the 7110 or 7210 will take JBODs, you're limited to the on-board storage. All the figures will increase with HDD growth and the latter two may expand with firmware upgrades.

Chris

The current 7110 range 2TB and 4TB will not take JBODs. Later versions may well do.

The 7210 can currently take JBOD.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    As I am able to compare Fibre with iscsi (having both on my VMware boxes), I'd still pick Fibre if I had the choice, lower CPU util, better flow control, quicker failover are a few of it's redeeming features. Pity price isn't

My iscsi box doesn't support bonded NICs either (as there are 4 seperate ports 1/2 for controllers A/B - none you could bond).

If you are going with VMware then you need to look at compatibilty for bonding with iscsi quite carefully as it doesn't work with everything.

I'd pick 2Us over Blades, also have both of these.

For the OP, for fibre you will need special fibre channel switches - these are NOT cheap.
    in a virtualized-FC-clustered-environment i'd always prefer newer 1U servers over 2U. You get good internal disk density [if that's important to you - in a SAN environment it's less so], still get dual power supplies, same processor and memory performance. Your just losing a couple of expansion slots. With most servers coming with a max. four onboard ethernet ports now that's normally about enough for most for vmware without wasting an expansion slot. You've always got atleast one PCIe expansion port for dual ethernet if you absolutely must have 6 ports for vmware or for 10gbs ethernet if you need a fat pipe to the server, that's if you do the sensible thing and go with a dual port FC HBA.

ofcourse not all 1U servers are made equal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linescanner View Post
    The current 7110 range 2TB and 4TB will not take JBODs. Later versions may well do.
    I hope they do as I will fill mine one day

As a S7110 4TB user I am very happy with it, have a small niggle that I seem to have fixed but the Cutter guys have been fantasic! Kim has been excellent over the problem and been amazingly helpful! Andy has also been amazing over pricing, keeping quotes valid and understanding my strange finance procedures that we have here so all in all an ace product from an ace firm HIGHLY recommended

4. Thanks to john from:

linescanner (20th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    in a virtualized-FC-clustered-environment i'd always prefer newer 1U servers over 2U. You get good internal disk density [if that's important to you - in a SAN environment it's less so], still get dual power supplies, same processor and memory performance. Your just losing a couple of expansion slots. With most servers coming with a max. four onboard ethernet ports now that's normally about enough for most for vmware without wasting an expansion slot. You've always got atleast one PCIe expansion port for dual ethernet if you absolutely must have 6 ports for vmware or for 10gbs ethernet if you need a fat pipe to the server, that's if you do the sensible thing and go with a dual port FC HBA.

ofcourse not all 1U servers are made equal.
    I currently have 4 onboard (2 iscsi, 1 console, 1 Vmotion, 4 VM). So thats 2 dual port PCIe cards and a dual port HBA. Really I should have 2 single port HBAs for better redundancy. I was also thinking about how they may be used in the future when replaced (may need a SAS card etc).

I have had 1Us in the past, but 2 or less pci slots can end up quite limiting.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    As a S7110 4TB user I am very happy with it, have a small niggle that I seem to have fixed but the Cutter guys have been fantasic! Kim has been excellent over the problem and been amazingly helpful! Andy has also been amazing over pricing, keeping quotes valid and understanding my strange finance procedures that we have here so all in all an ace product from an ace firm HIGHLY recommended
    +1 on that. I know Sun and Cutter have already had a lot of love in these forums, but they really have been good people to work with. Being able to talk to Sun directly has been particularly interesting and I really hope it's something Oracle still keep flexible.

I had my NetApp box installed and while it worked I got very little training on how to use the various interfaces (it has a Java BUI, a CLI and a MMC snap-in, and you need to use all three together to do certain tasks, e.g. no way to set up de-dupe via the BUI) so I was a bit stuck doing anything more than the basics. When a second installer came in to show me how to do something he said "oh, the other guy did it like that, I wouldn't have done that..." which is never a great feeling.

On the other hand Cutter and Sun have been very supportive from day one, understanding of my tight and short-notice budgets, and helpful in getting everything working. The best bit is that the Sun kit is much more common sense to use anyway, with most of the settings you'll want for a particular task on one page or section rather than hidden in lots of sub-menus. Not sure if other NetApp users feel this way, maybe it all makes more sense once you've had proper training and you're using it regularly.

Either way, props to Cutter and Sun, so far so good.

Chris

7. Thanks to Duke from:

linescanner (22nd August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Whoops, my mistake - cheers!
    Morning,

Many thanks to all that have quoted the capacities on the various S7000 models.

There are some "new" ones coming out soon as well as next year :-)

Drop me a message on here to discuss or register at the Sun website for either of (or both if you want) two S7000 Discovery Days in September...

Cheers,

Phil

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12