+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, Sanyo projectors - yellowing in Technical; What model of projector are you using...my guess would be PLC-SW35? We have 12 of these and they are the ...

Thank Post

Re: Sanyo projectors - yellowing

What model of projector are you using...my guess would be PLC-SW35?
    We have 12 of these and they are the subject of much correspondence with Promethean. I was also told that we use them too much and that our school is too dusty!

These units have 4 fans and 4 filters and supposedly sealed optics...so how does the dust get into the optics...and if the filters are getting blocked they are clearly doing their job, so where is the dust getting in?

I now clean the filters every 2 weeks but I have several projectors that are going to need the full £175 clean. The worst part of that is that we have to pay to send the units to Promethean and we don't get a replacement so the whiteboards will be unusable for 10 days or more.

Oh and after less than 2 years bulbs have started failing which costing about £180 a time to replace.

There are a number of schools in our county (Hampshire) that have the same problems and are spending way too much on maintenance of their IWB installations and I know that many schools in Kent are in the same boat.

I have gone from a full time IT technician to part-time as the rest of my day I am now an AV technician.

Things are so bad that I find mysef secretly wishing someone would steal the projectors so I can buy new ones... :?

I have heard from one company that also fit these systems that the projectors they supply (Hitachi I think) only need cleaning once or twice a year...bliss!

All this makes me more nostalgic than ever for the smell of chalk in classrooms...

Thank Post

We’ve got a number of PLC-SW35 projectors and all of them are going dim and yellowing despite having a lamp change and the filters being cleaned regular.

We are now looking at replacing them with Epson projectors which will hopefully last longer than the Sanyos, but have found that when Promethean fitted the projectors they used a bespoke pole and mount so we have to change the mount as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jobos
    We’ve got a number of PLC-SW35 projectors and all of them are going dim and yellowing despite having a lamp change and the filters being cleaned regular.

We are now looking at replacing them with Epson projectors which will hopefully last longer than the Sanyos, but have found that when Promethean fitted the projectors they used a bespoke pole and mount so we have to change the mount as well.
    If I get someone in to fit a projetor for me, say during a new build project, I always specify the make of mounting kit to help me out, I will not let anyone use anything other than Unicol kit as I have a range of spares and parts for them so they get told its Unicol or you dont get the kit and I do and you fit it, most of them either get it for me or we get a credit back on the building project as I buy the kit and give them it and they fit it to my instructions.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jobos

Tell me about it! We are changing 8 this term, same projector, same issue with mount. We changed 4-5 last year for the same reason. Also in some of our classrooms we are having to move the ceiling mount as we cannot get a replacement projector with the same throw/image size.

Needless to say they are not being replaced with Sanyo units.

Thank Post

weve had 3 sanyo projectors......never again. 2 of them went really dim, in other words you couldnt see them in complete darkness. even a bulb change didnt help. as for the third, the image had purple specles all over it. it was sent for a clean at an extortionate cost and came back worse. so now we have replaced all 3 of them with hitachi projectors which we have had no trouble with at all!

Thank Post

Hello, does any one know of any cheap projector repair centres within the North East or around us. Anything will be a big help!!!!

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

Its cheaper to bin them than repair.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks very much PeterH for that walkthrough - deserves a sticky!

I always specify universal mounts since early on, and that has proved essential with our whole school reorganisation... we swapped humanities with english and music with MFL - and all of them insisted (with approval) that they had their original projectors.

They're a little more expensive but worthwhile I think.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Its cheaper to bin them than repair.
    Tis true, we got one of ours professionally cleaned and it still came back dull, the yellowing had gone but the picture was still very dull and changing the bulb doesn't help.

We are replacing 90% of our Samsung's in the summer, there are two or three in school which are still ok.

To repair it was £175, and they don't come back as new then its just money down the drain. So we are getting new :-) Hitachi's or Epson's hopefully.

Thank Post

got this in an email this morning, and thought of you guys.

"We have taken apart a sanyo projector attempting to clean it
    and now we cannot put the lenses back together again. Are we able to
    send it to you for a clean and a re-assemble job?"

Thank Post

Hi hello all, Sanyo projectors, I am an engineer.

Right some sanyo's are more suseptable to dust than others and as long as the filters are cleaned often and the lamp is changed at the correct time there is no reason why a projector after cleaning should not be as good as new, the problem is most schools do not change the lamps on time and this damages the Ballast unit causing dimmer out put even after changing the lamp.
    The lamp is an arc lamp (spark gap) and with age the gap gets bigger if you dont change the lamp on time the poor old projector will still try to do its best to get the same lihgt out put by turning up the voltage to the lamp eventually damaging itself in the attempt, hence the dimmer after replacing the lamp problem.
    how to cure CHANGE THE LAMP at correct time , do not over run the lamp it will kill your projector, if you say use it every day at a school you should be changing it every 2 years (rule of thumb).

All that aside we also offer a rebuild and deep clean service for £70 and we usually (depending on quantity) return them the day after we get them.

Please if you have any problems email me m.oglesby@it-service.co.uk or ring me 01472 236221 i would be please to offer you telephone help and advice (and no we are not a premium rate line).

We offer advice and cleaning and repair to ALL makes of projectors not just Sanyo.

Just ask for Marc

aliv25

We have several Sanyo Projectors with various problems. Im currently here on placement and assuming the school has been awarded with the status technical college for 2 years now, i assume thats how old the projectors are. What about the discolourtion of the lenses? I have heard that dust settles on the lense and may cause the colour to be distored when an image is projected.

Thank Post

No lenses are not normally a problem, yes they do get some dust ingress but unless this is really bad it is not a problem yes it will dim the image slightly but as yet i have never had to rebuild a lens. The yellowing is usually dust as is the more usual pink/purple if you wind the focus fully out you will focus on the inner elements of the LCD and it will display the dust, on occasions where the projector has not been serviced or lamps have been over run the UV out put of the lamp goes up and burns the polerizing filter this causes the yellowing (scorch marks) this can (usually) be repaired, ring me for more info.

Marc Oglesby
    Sen. Eng. IT Services

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123