+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sanyo projectors - yellowing in Technical; @SpuffMonkey We're in the same position. We don't have the staff to clean them as regularly as they need, thus ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Sanyo projectors - yellowing

@SpuffMonkey

We're in the same position. We don't have the staff to clean them as regularly as they need, thus they die quickly. Can't get it through to manglement the concept of TCO - if they keep deploying new equipment they must also budget for its upkeep and disposal. brick wall.

Thank Post

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.

All sanyo's at my schools have started to fade and yellow. I can't remember which model though but they're all the same. Someone got on to the suppliers who then informed them that these projectors were unsuitable for classroom use. WHAT??. Cleaning the filters didn't stop the slow decline either. One school got lucky and managed to have seven of their projectors cleaned for free. The story I was told was they got CLEO involved as it was them that recommended the projectors. Unfortunately some of the projectors came back with a full screen but still dimmed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Someone got on to the suppliers who then informed them that these projectors were unsuitable for classroom use. WHAT??
    I heared the same thing, one of our guys got onto sanyo and were told they aren't designed to run 8hrs per day in a classroom - we'd need a decent projector for that (£2k).

Doesn't stop the cowboy ICT firms deploying them though

Thank Post

We have used Epson all the way but I have just been informed we have a new ACTIVSTUDIO + 2 with a sanyo projector thanks for the info on them please could anyone tell the model numbers will post back on what we got also need to check out the warranty info aswell

Thanks ppl

Mr Tech

Thank Post

Folks,

We've had this problem on lots of Sanyo projectors and have managed to successfully fix it. Repairing these projectors is possible, but its not an easy job. If anything goes wrong during this process or if you loose or damage any of the parts, it will likely be very difficult if not impossible to get the projector working properly again, so this is perhaps the last thing you should try before replacing it.

The problem is caused - as someone else has suggested - by overheating. Buried deep within the projectors optical path are two lenses that have some kind of colour-correction filters glued onto them. The problem is that the glue that is used to stick these to the lenses, which should be transparent, turns dark after a period of time, probably caused by the heat from the lamp and perhaps also insufficient cooling. This darkening causes loss or reduction of one of the primary colours, resulting in a yellow patch on the image.

The solution is to dismantle the projector and remove the lenses so that the colour correction filters can be removed. The projectors work fine without them - the whites tend to be very slightly off-white, but its very hard to notice.

Be warned that these lenses are buried deep within the projector and dismantling is not a five minute job. If you've not done it before, it'll take several hours, plenty of clear space, a steady hand, a selection of screwdrivers and a sharp craft knife.

After removing the top of the projector, the are two circuit boards layered on top of each other that need to be removed. There are lots of cables that interconnect these boards which will need to be removed, so you'll need to keep a careful note of which cables go where. A digital camera might be useful here.

After unscrewing the top board and unplugging all the cables, it will need to be gently pulled to un-mate the PCB-mount connectors on its underside which push into sockets on the board underneath.

Once this board has been removed, the board underneath can be dis-connected, unscrewed and removed. In approximately the middle of the board, you will find three flexi-print cables that connect to the 3 LCDs on the prism module. Be *very* *very* careful with both the felxiprint cables *and* their sockets. They are very fragile and damage to the cables or sockets will almost certainly render the unit in-operable and unrepairable.

Afte removing the bottom board, you can then very carefully un-screw and lift out the prism module. Whilst you're there its a good opportinity to have a general clean-up, probably with a can of aero-duster or similar to remove all traces of dust.

Once the prism module has been removed, you should be able to identify the two lenses, to the left and the bottom of the prism module, looking from the back of the projector. These are held in place by small metal clips that need to be un-screwed.

After doing this, you will need to loosen all of the screws in the black plastic channeling that surrounds the optical path through the projector. You can then carefully prise the top of the channeling away sufficiently to remove both of the lenses. This isn't very easy, as you need to remove quite a lot of screws and move cabling out of the way, but it is possible if you're careful.

If you've got this far, then you should have the two lenses in your hands. On one of them, you will clearly be able to see the darkening of the colour correction filter.

To remove the filters and the glue that fixes them to the lenses, you will need to soak the lenses in methylated spirit for a few hours and then you can beging to *very carefully* lift the plastic filter away from the surface of the lens using a sharp craft knife. The best technique is to try to lift the filter at the edges or the corners using the knife, taking great care not to scratch the lens. You should find that the plastic filter itself comes away easily, but the glue that remains will be a lot more difficult to get off and will require extra soaking in the meths and more work with the knife.

By the way, don't worry if the metal bracket glued to the top of the lens comes off. This is used to help hold the lens in place, but isn't really needed - the lenses won't fall out once the projector is re-assembled.

I must emphasise how easy it is to scratch the lenses. You need to be very very gentle with the knife indeed, as even small scratches will quite likely be clearly visible on the image once the projector is re-assembled.

Having cleaned up the lenses, all you have to do it to put the whole thing back together again. As long as you have made a careful note of where all the connectors and screws go, this should be fairly easy. Again, take great care with the flexi-print cables and connectors on the prism assembly.

When you come to re-insert the topmost of the two circuit boards, you need to make sure that it is aligned in extactly the right position, so that the PCB plugs re-mate with the sockets on the board underneath. Also, be very careful that you don't get any of the cabling trapped between the plugs and sockets as you push the two boards back together.

Having re-connected and re-wired you should hopefully now have a fully working projector. Good luck!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

PeterH, thanks for the guide, I'm sure that will be very useful for any of us who want to tackle this problem.

A tip that some may find useful when dismantling something with a lot of different-sized screws (eg. laptops!) is to draw a basic diagram of the part you are removing on paper, and place the screws on small blobs of blu tac where they came from. It saves putting smaller screws back in large holes and vice versa and.

Thank Post

We have around 10-15 Sanyo's and all are showing yellowing some worse than others.

E_G_R tried to clean one once, after we had taken apart one which was a broken in a failed break in (before attempting a working one). Everything went back in correctly but when we turned it back on it, the fans came on for a second and then it just shut down.

Thank Post

Are there any projectors beside the Sanyos that will provide a similar long throw? I've used Epson wherever possible, but they are comparitively short throw.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The NECs that we have are quite long throw.

Thank Post

Benq have long throw too.

What is it with certain makes of projector - all our Toshiba have red blobs.

think il try dismantling one and repairing it.

Thank Post

I noticed our promethean man here has not commented for a bit...

From what has been posted, however often and hard you clean the projectors, the fault will occur...

So erm........?

richard

Just a Sanyo go suffer from this at one of my schools except the whole image is yellow apart from the centre which is dark yellow. When I asked the teacher whose projector it was how long it had been like this I was told it started 6 month ago

Thank Post

We have the exact same problem here at our junior school. All our Sanyo projectors are dull and yellow, new bulbs do not help.
    :cry:

Thank Post

i had this on a few projectors
    Sonny ,hitachi,

it could be screen burnt thats what happens in schools when teachers leave the projectors on every day :x

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by richard
    Just a Sanyo go suffer from this at one of my schools except the whole image is yellow apart from the centre which is dark yellow. When I asked the teacher whose projector it was how long it had been like this I was told it started 6 month ago
    it could be screen burnt this is when the bulb is on every day none stop :x

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast