+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Stone computers now using slim DVD drives? in Technical; Does anyone know why in the Stone desktop systems they now seem to be using 'slim' laptop style DVD drives ...

Thank Post

Stone computers now using slim DVD drives?

Does anyone know why in the Stone desktop systems they now seem to be using 'slim' laptop style DVD drives rather than the standard DVD drive?

It just struck me as being weird due to the fact I'm sure last time I looked they were significantly more to buy than a standard optical drive!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Because the cases that they're using for their half height desktops are too small for full sized drives. The cases are about 3/4 the length of the old ones.

Our last lot were still obscenely cheap though although that may have something to do with the fact that we bought more than 300 of them!

Thank Post
    We buy all our PCs with no optical drive, less for the kids to break! The only machines in our school which do have DVD writers are the PCs in the Art/design area which have photoshop and video editing software on. For normal classroom PCs they are merely something else to break in my opinion.

It's pretty common these days for small form factor PCs to come with the laptop style drives - the Dell Ultra small form factor PCs have been shipped with them for years, and RM use them on both their old and new all in one PC.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Aye. They're very flimsy when you've got kids swinging off them, but there's very little that can stand up to punishment like that

They're not too much to buy - well, double the price, 10 gets you a full size DVDRW, 20 will get a similar spec SFF version

Thank Post
    Stone seem to have a horrible habit of buying up surplus stock elsewhere. Basically they will buy 10000 of whatever is cheap on the market, and put it in their PC's

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato-Peeler View Post
    Stone seem to have a horrible habit of buying up surplus stock elsewhere. Basically they will buy 10000 of whatever is cheap on the market, and put it in their PC's
    Can you quantify these remarks, they seem completly at odds with my experience of Stone Computers. All the Stone machines I've encountered have used Intel motherboard, Kingston Memory and either Sony or Samsung opticle drives (although I havn't checked what's fitted in our SFF Stones).

HP have used laptop drives in there SFF machines for years. The current DC7900 also used laptop hard drives and memory.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    The current DC7900 also used laptop hard drives and memory.
    you sure about that one fella,

Thank Post
    I can confirm that HP do use laptop memory and hard drives in the dc7900 and also the dc7800 because they are the ultra slim versions, we have just purchased 42 dc7900 and we already have 50 dc7800 i would personally always by a branded pc e.g. hp as the warranty and next day/same day parts delivery is excellent i have used companies that build their own computers in the past and if you have any problems they can never get hold of the same motherboards etc.. so it can cause teriable problems with ghosting/imaging because of drivers etc... over the past 5 years we have replace all our pcs with HP desktops (over 250+) and have never had any problems with parts etc.. we have had more trouble with our last 30 Nec machines (these are going soon!!) than with over 250 HP desktops. Nec seem really bad with customer support and keeping drivers upto date on their website! Not sure how stone do this as never used them, but have used companies like them in the past

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    HP have used laptop drives in there SFF machines for years. The current DC7900 also used laptop hard drives and memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    The SFF uses standard DIMMs and 3.5" drives but the ultraslim desktop does use the laptop sized components so it was probably just a misplaced form factor abbreviation

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q....HTML#Overview

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The SFF uses standard DIMMs and 3.5" drives but the ultraslim desktop does use the laptop sized components so it was probably just a misplaced form factor abbreviation

arh gotcha, appologies I just havent opened a new one up yet,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Oops didn't make myself clear, the ultra slim ones do. I forget there's a whole range because the ultra slims are the only ones we've ever bought.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post

HP don't help themselves - SFF and USFF are pretty similar abbreviations for very different machines (whereas the CMT and SFF are essentially the same in a different box!)

Another quick rant - with so many numbers, letters etc to choose from, why do HP have to re-use product names and numbers???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    HP don't help themselves - SFF and USFF are pretty similar abbreviations for very different machines (whereas the CMT and SFF are essentially the same in a different box!)
    To be fair, HP list them as SFF and USDT (ultra slim desktop)

Thank Post
    Yeah those abbreviations really don't help, had the same problem when looking up Lenovo systems as well!

Worse for HP than any numbers game is the dollar rate problem... was so close to buying a batch then the price went up 100 per unit in a week... went with Stone instead and have to say the component issues about haven't been a problem for us. We do specify the stuff we want in there (e.g. no Maxtor hard drives under any circumstances!) and so far it's matched up fine

Thank Post
    Argh!!!

I found another feature of the new Stone design:

There is a blanking plate underneath the slimline DVD drive and you can push it inside the case with one finger!!! The kids will love that!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast