+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Stone computers now using slim DVD drives? in Technical; well 2 years ago we bought a load of good spec laptops. It said on the order core 2 duo ...

Thank Post
    well 2 years ago we bought a load of good spec laptops. It said on the order core 2 duo processor. Sticker on the laptop said core 2 duo processor. Recently i was playing with it and i happened to notice it was not a core 2 duo, it was a core duo. So basically we've been had. Also similar things, such as newish, last summer, computers having pci, not pci-e. Looking up motherboard numbers on NEW pc's and discovering the motherboards are actually a 3-4 year old design. Nothing but dells now...
    Just cus its intel doesn't mean its not old now does it :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stone have used Sub-Par components for as long as I have known about them. When I ordered a PC for personal use, had quite a high spec, when I inspected it, it was equipment that was 2 years old, not what I ordered. Spent better part of a year getting my money back!

Thank Post
    I took delivery of a batch of around 50 a couple of weeks ago (for the 3rd year running) and as usual, have no problems at all. I really am confused when I read the negative stuff about them in here - they've been nothing short of fantastic for me (from sales to the very limited occasional warrenty call out).

I never buy their thinner clients though - personal preference is the fatter style cases. Mine came with the traditional style DVDRW drives.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    I took delivery of a batch of around 50 a couple of weeks ago (for the 3rd year running) and as usual, have no problems at all. I really am confused when I read the negative stuff about them in here - they've been nothing short of fantastic for me (from sales to the very limited occasional warrenty call out).

I never buy their thinner clients though - personal preference is the fatter style cases. Mine came with the traditional style DVDRW drives.
    Same here, we have 30 of their all in one PCs built exactly to spec as expected, and they've been absolutely faultless for the last 8-10 months.

We have another 36 machines that have just been delivered, all exactly to spec as well. They detail on the specification sheet exactly what processor and motherboard they are going to use, so if it's not as specified then questions would be asked, but it always has been.

Also have 30 of their Neo netbooks on their way to me as well, and I've just had 5 projectors installed by their AV engineers who turned up exactly on time and completed the work absolutely to spec neatly and tidily.

I've never had a bad experience with Stone, so I'm always puzzled when I read negative reports, as some of the things stated above are complete breaches of the sale of goods act, and I'd be surprised if any large company would even dare take that risk, as the fines for miss-describing goods like that are pretty huge.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Does seem to be differing reviews of them. Though to be fair all the 4 year old kit was brilliant and never ever breaks.
    Though i do think all the new kit is whatever they scrounge on the day, as it seems to be so varying in reports.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Someone here mentioned Kingston ram in the context that would make it sound good....

Worrying! Highest failure rate of any memory I've seen. But, it did make my old company a small fortune in gold

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Someone here mentioned Kingston ram in the context that would make it sound good....

Worrying! Highest failure rate of any memory I've seen. But, it did make my old company a small fortune in gold
    Make of memory, at least for machines I buy for work, has never really concerned me, more interested to make sure it's a decent speed. Everything I buy has a minimum of 3 years warranty on it anyway, so it's in the manufacturers best interests to use good quality components or they'll spend a fortune in support calls!

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12