+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, It's been a while since I posted.... in Technical; Hi guys, It's been a while since I posted anything up here on Edugeek so time for an update. There ...
    Thank Post

It's been a while since I posted....

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted anything up here on Edugeek so time for an update.

There are a large number of S7000 users on here now which is great news and we've had some exciting developments in the Open Storage practice at Sun.

Couple of new things:

1. VMWare update! The Sun 7000 series (all models) has been certified for iSCSI access with ESX 4.0 (vSphere) using 2009 Q2 software. ESX 4.0 NFS access has been completed for some time.

2. S7000 Discovery Days are coming back! Mark your diaries for the 22nd September in Camberley (Sun UK HO) and the 24th September in London (45 King William Street - near Monument Tube). I'm toying with the idea of doing one in Scotland (Linlithgow) but would need to know how many of you would attend.

3. Updates on the S7000. There has been a flurry of updates for the S7000 and I must firstly apologise if it seems like we're shipping one a week. As with all software when it is introduced there are some glitches and things that need adding in or tweaking. We've been working like mad to get as much done as we can for the major releases (2009.Q2 for example) but occassionally we just can't get them all in or something crops up after the release that needs sorting. The good thing is that updating is just as easy as ever and you can always roll back. Not sure if you know this or not but you can "miss" updates if the fix doesn't apply to you and simply go for the next big one (for example 2009.Q3 which is due out soon) and take advantage of the new wizzy features it brings.

So, talking about 2009.Q3... it isn't THAT far away from being released to customers so please bear with us whilst we do the final testing and making sure it's as good as it can be. I've played with an early version and it's looking very good indeed. Without giving away any secrets (cos I'm not allowed to on here) the large educational establishments on here that require some certain "restrictions / quotas" will be very pleased indeed-

Right, off for a top up of coffee.

If anyone has questions please contact me via here or on the number below. More than happy to help where I can.

Oh, and I hope you're all enjoying the quietness in your respective educational workplaces without the "delightful" children running around the place. They'll be back soon enough though

Cheers,

Phil

2. 2 Thanks to Hebdenlad:

Duke (11th August 2009), john (11th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebdenlad View Post
    1. VMWare update! The Sun 7000 series (all models) has been certified for iSCSI access with ESX 4.0 (vSphere) using 2009 Q2 software. ESX 4.0 NFS access has been completed for some time.

3. Updates on the S7000. There has been a flurry of updates for the S7000 and I must firstly apologise if it seems like we're shipping one a week. [...]

So, talking about 2009.Q3... it isn't THAT far away from being released to customers [..]
    All good news, cheers Phil! I plan to be on ESX for most things within the next year so it's good to see Sun continuing the VMware support and getting things certified.

I did notice there had been quite a lot of updates for the S7000, but it's nice to see fairly new products like this under strong development, which is certainly a lot better than them just being left with no roadmap and customers having no idea what's going on or when bugs will be fixed.

I'll keep an eye out for 2009.Q3, presumably the Fishworks blog will be updated once it's out?

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 923 Posts
    Cheers Phil, much appreciated, was going to give you a call actually and say that I've now got my S7110, connected it all up today and put it in the rack Now just trying to find my whitepaper / guide you did on the discovery day on AD Integration of it .....

Thank Post
    I'm a Tod lad myself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    [...]Now just trying to find my whitepaper / guide you did on the discovery day on AD Integration of it .....
    Do you just mean getting it on the domain so that you can do Active Directory authentication for CIFS? If so, make sure you're on the latest software release and then it should be really simple. Get NTP set up first if you can, then just join it to the domain through the BUI and you should be good to go. Once that's done you can add Named Groups or Named Users under the CIFS permissions as username@domain, you'll be able to tell if it's worked if it doesn't give you any errors and it capitalises the username correctly when you hit Apply.

EDIT: New minor firmware release is out, not the major one Phil was talking about - http://wikis.sun.com/display/FishWor...+Release+Notes

Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 12th August 2009 at 09:22 AM.

Thank Post
    It was the one pointed me in the right direction about ACLs and Permissions as my mind was frazzled on them, our good friends at Cutter (Kmount) sent me them at 8pm last night for me to use today with great success

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    It was the one pointed me in the right direction about ACLs and Permissions as my mind was frazzled on them, our good friends at Cutter (Kmount) sent me them at 8pm last night for me to use today with great success
    Yeah, the permissions are somewhat confusing for the first time if you're coming from a Windows background. I still think there's the odd bit that's not right, but so far all of ours are working okay! 300GB of data went live on it yesterday, doing user accounts today and tomorrow.

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Yeah, the permissions are somewhat confusing for the first time if you're coming from a Windows background. I still think there's the odd bit that's not right, but so far all of ours are working okay! 300GB of data went live on it yesterday, doing user accounts today and tomorrow.

Chris
    Sounds good, I've moved over two years now onto it, only another 3 years, staff, and shared areas to go

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread