+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Dell e1505 wont power off in Technical; Seems I have a Dell e1505 laptop that will not power off. Sure it goes through the shutdown cycle but ...
    Thank Post

Angry Dell e1505 wont power off

Seems I have a Dell e1505 laptop that will not power off. Sure it goes through the shutdown cycle but in 5 seconds or less. Its powering right back on and booting up.
    It has the latest bios update. Now the system seems to do this off and on.. For two months latop worked well. Then out of the blue this power issue.. Then seem to fix it self and now back again with .

Ive noticed that when the system is having this issue..This MediaDirect bootup logo shows up.
    And when the system is working normally There is no such logo. Just the regular bios post screen

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm guesing if you have been into the BIOS, you have turned off any option that boots the laptop back up after powerloss?

James.

Thank Post
    My machine at work does this because it's set to power on after loss of power, and it's a little too sensitive to supply fluctuations. Check also that the battery is in good health and has been conditioned recently, that the adaptor isn't on its way out and that it's not set to wake on LAN (again, I have a machine that's very sensitive to that).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This sounds distinctly like a bit of the hardware is set to power the system on when interupted and it is being tripped. As above it could be wake on lan and a tempremental NIC or possibly another bit of hardware with the ability to wake the system. I would go into the BIOS and disable things like "wake on PCI event" and "wake on modem ring" etc. if any one of these bits of hardware is slightly iffy then it could be powering the system back on again.

Might also be an idea to get a hold of a copy of this
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/1400049628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249767282&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead (9781400049622): Max Brooks: Books[/ame]
    with undead Dell laptops about

Thank Post
    yes i have all wake options off.

Fact to me the noticeable key difference in a normal operation of the laptop is when it first starts all you see is the simple DELL post logo,, When its acting up like this. This Dell DirectMedia post logo shows up instead.

And I have to take the battery out. Or other wise it will just run it down. It behaves this way if on battery or AC
    Last edited by ventiman; 9th August 2009 at 05:53 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread