+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, wireless is using up 90% CPU in Technical; Ok this is a strange one, as it is affecting both my winxp and ubuntu boots. Ive got a sony ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

wireless is using up 90% CPU

Ok this is a strange one, as it is affecting both my winxp and ubuntu boots.

Ive got a sony vaio TZ, and as of the other day, whenever I start up with the wireless switch enabled, the computer seems to be using so much CPU, that windows hangs on logon, and ubuntu is really slow to respond. As soon as I turn the wireless switch off on XP, the login resumes.. once Im logged in, turning the wireless switch on and off locks up, then releases the computer.

In ubuntu its not as bad, but definately causing jerkyness.. Top shows nothing untoward.

Ive got a expresscard wifi I can use, works fine in windows and I just have the wireless switch off. But in ubuntu if I have the wireless switch off on the laptop, it disables wireless completely, so I cant use the expresscard.

Ive not been able to check with any other access point apart from the one here, so I dont know if that might be the common denominator somehow?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Probably a busted wireless card throwing tonnes on interupts and bogging down the CPU, use Process Monitor to see if the CPU is kicking up lots of interupts. It may be a case of getting a shiny new mini-pci wireless adapter for your laptop or just removing the internal one for the moment so that you can enable the wireless switch and your other card without allowing the possibly busted one to hose the CPU.

Thank Post
    Have a look and see if the wifi card is supported by ubuntu. Wifi cards are not well supported but the support is getting better. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

Richard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I rebooted the access point and it seems to have stopped, although Im sure thats just a coincidence.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread