+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Hp proliant ML370 G4 in Technical; Hi all, I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to servers so thought i'd post on here as ...

Thank Post

Hp proliant ML370 G4

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to servers so thought i'd post on here as I'm having a couple of problems with a server someone gave to me. I cannot get it to boot from any CD at all. Server2000, server2003, hp smartstart etc. Its not reporting any errors on startup and I have reset it to default in the bios.

I can get CD's to boot if I remove the Raid card, does this mean the card is faulty? If I leave it in I can F8 into the RAID setup and set the array as a RAID 5 but then when trying to boot a CD it says non-system disk!?

The server in question is as in the title a HP ML370 G4 and the raid adapter says SmartArray 641 controller

Help!
    Cheers

Edit- actually now I have removed the raid card and used the onboard and it will still not boot from CD. Done the obvious like changed cd to first in boot priority.
    Last edited by darkmanx; 5th August 2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: correction

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You should be able to boot to cd with the RAID card in but I doubt that it is broken if you can get into its config. I would suggest going into the BIOS and altering the boot order, with hp servers there is a second boot order control to choose the primary boot controller. This can be onboard or the RAID card, it should work with just the boot order set to hit the CD drive first but you could change the adapter order to list internal first also and see if that allows you to boot it.

I have used lots of those units, both the specific server and RAID card, I think that the BIOS is F9 or F10 but it should definitely work with just the boot order changed, I don't think tha tit attempts cd before hard drives by default though so you do have to tell it.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 6th August 2009 at 01:29 AM.

Thank Post
    cheers for the reply synack

I have changed the boot order so CD is the first one but it doesn't even try spinning up the CD. It does attempt to read a floppy as the floppy drive lights up and you can hear it check for a floppy disk but it does not attempt the CD drive.

It did boot from the CD drive once but I cannot get it do to it again, I'll change the CD drive tonight when I am home from work and see if that resolves the problem.

Thank Post
    Sorted!

Popped home at lunch and tried another cd/dvd drive in the server and it now boots up first time. The guy who gave me it could of let me know grrr would of saved me a while!

Thanks for the reply anyway much appreciated

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread