+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Which Raid card? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Which Raid card?

Following on from this thread: PCI card too long for pci slot?

I need to find a Raid card that will work with Seagate 1.5tb drives, that is PCI, not PCIe, and that will do RAID 5.

From what Ive read it needs to br 60bit rather than 48-bit LBA to be able to handle the big drives, but that means nothing to me.

Does such a card exist for PCI.. or am I going to need to upgrade my mobo to get with the times and get PCIe.

Also, Im wanting to source said card second hand, budget of only £100 so ebay, etc is where Im going to have to trawl.

But if some hardware experts could possible point me in the direction of which card will work for this, would be greatly appreciated.

My other alternative is to ditch the 3x1.5tb drives and get 4x1tb drives i guess..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Composite of last two messages:
    Looks like 48bit will still meet your needs, it's just a case of finding one that they have bothered to update the firmware on:
    Parallel ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    View topic - 48-bit LBA Size Limitations - Maximum PC Forums

Having a look at those ones on ebay I don't think that they are actually listed with their propper product codes as I was unable to find out much more information about them. One appeared just to be labled from the biggest chip on the card.

It may end up being easier just finding a nonraid card that works with *nix and just using software based

==============new message===============

PCI SATA 4 CHANNEL RAID CARD(SUPPORT VISTA)W/SATA CABLE on eBay (end time 30-Aug-09 05:30:41 BST)
    or
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Port-SATA-SERIAL-ATA-PCI-CONTROLLER-RAID-CARD-2-CABLE_W0QQitemZ110420214600QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C omputing_ComputerComponents_InterfaceCards?hash=it em19b58ec348&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

How to Enable SiI 3114 SATA Support on Linux
    Silicon Image Products - SiI3114 - PCI to 4 Port SATA150

Sil 3114 Bios Flashing -HELP- - Desktops
    I'd just like to add that I WAS able to flash the bios in my SIL3114 card through device manager. I'm using Vista 64bit, so if Jay is running something different, that could be why he couldn't do it.
    Also, the Silicon Image website does not currently have any bios files listed for the card, but I was able to find the 5403 files and the flashing utility (didn't need it, but got it anyway) elsewhere. Should somebody else stumble on this discussion via google (as I did) and need these files, I stuck them here for posterity: http://drop.io/sil3114_bios5403
    Also of note: This bios DOES work with Seagate 1.5tb drives.

No onboard cache but it looks like it may meet your needs, even supports raid5.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 3rd August 2009 at 07:13 AM.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (3rd August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Was in the middle of typing this reply when i saw you had updated:

-----
    Its a pretty old crappy mobo/processor etc that Ive had since 2001, and have just kept adding RAM and Diskspace to over the years.

Its at the stage now where its 3.4tb with 10 various IDE drives

I was hoping to rip out all but the system drive and replace the smaller drives with 3 big ones.

But nothings ever simple is it

I really would prefer a hardware raid to be honest.

The reply got from the seller of the dell card on ebay said "This card is a Dell branded Adaptec 2610SA Card", which is just a 6 port variaiton of the 4 port adaptec I already have.

Im starting to think it might just be simpler all round to try to sell on the 1.5tb drives to recoup some money, and get 4x1tb drives...
    ----

That first one seemes alright, and at that price ill just buy it and try it out. The second one doesnt say it supports raid 5, even though it is the same chip i think?

Anyway, thanks for all the links, I will get one of those silicone image ones, and try them..

There must be a reason though why one card costs £250 new and another £15 ..

But Ill give it a try, and hope it works, and its definately within my budget

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread