+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Anyone using OpenFiler in Anger in Technical; Sounds like a bargain to me! The S7000 stuff is designed more as consolidated storage, so with CIFS it can ...
    Thank Post
    Sounds like a bargain to me!

The S7000 stuff is designed more as consolidated storage, so with CIFS it can take over from all of your Windows file servers, as well as providing block-level for things like virtualisation. You can get most of the functionality from a Windows server attached to a block-level Dell SAN, but the S7000 gives you some really cool features like Flash SSDs, analytics, etc. You can also mirror them fairly easily and there's only one point of failure (the SAN) rather than two (the SAN and the Server).

As I said, it all depends on what you're looking for and if the Dell SAN attached to a Windows server will cover your needs then go for it.

Chris

Thank Post
    Have you considered the new drobopro ? 8 diskbays, iscsi, dual disk redundancy ... The unit without disks is approx £850 ex vat then just add as many 2tb drives as you need. You can also remove all the installed disks as a disk pack which can then be stored off site.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Have you considered the new drobopro ? 8 diskbays, iscsi, dual disk redundancy ... The unit without disks is approx £850 ex vat then just add as many 2tb drives as you need. You can also remove all the installed disks as a disk pack which can then be stored off site.
    We have a Drobo (not the pro version) and can't rate them highly enough. You can stick any drives in, any manufacturer, size, anything and it just works. Very quick to rebuild after a failure and depending on the redundancy level set I think the pro can handle up to two simultaneous failures. Need confirmation on that one though!

Thank Post
    Yes the DroboPro by default uses a single drive for redundancy but by simply ticking a box will use two drives. I have ordered one to replace a dead hp tape autoloader (which was very expensive at the time), it was going to cost us approx £2500 to replace the tape drive plus approx another £1000 for new tapes as we could not get the same tape drive. So we went for a drobopro for £850 plus 4x 2Tb hard drives at £150 each so a total of approx £1500.This gives us 5.4Tb of usable space, plus we can add another 4 harddrives later on, especially when the price drops.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Is anyone using OpenFiler in anger ??

I'm starting to look around at SAN's for our college as storage is getting a problem & I've looked at the big boys like EMC, Hitachi & Equalogic / Dell but they are soooooo expensive.

I realise that these solutions are very powerful but looking at OpenFiler I think it'll do everything I want such as iSCSI etc.

If you are using it in anger what hardware are you running it on & what jobs is it doing ??

Thanks
    Brian
    I'm just in the implimentation stages atm but i'll be running a OpenFiler SAN hopefully by the end of the summer holidays - It'll be hosting all the schools servers and data.

The hardware i'm using is (x2):

HP Proliant ML115 Server
    Opteron 1532 (4x 2.1Ghz 512mb cache)
    Western Digital 80GB Drive (Boot) - I did try a 16GG USB Stick but couldn't get it to work
    4x Western Digital 1TB RE3 Drives (RAID5)
    1 Gigabit Ethernet (Onboard)
    1x HP Dual Gigabit Ethernet card.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the pointers, I'll have a look at the SUN stuff

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Thanks for all the pointers, I'll have a look at the SUN stuff
    Give me a shout if you need any info on the Sun stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    The Sun stuff is set to get better and better mate, trust me I looked at a HP SAN VS the Sun SAN and the HP was A slightly more expensive for the slightly less storage, and just doesn't have anywhere near the same features as the Sun does. You need to see what your missing out on to realise where the extra value added in the Sun is

Thank Post
    We've been running an OpenFiler box for about 8 months now, mainly as a backup for the stuff that won't fit onto tape any more. We've got it running on an HP DX2200 workstation with 2 x 1Tb mirrored drives. Its been absolutely brilliant, the only limit being the number of hard drives we can fit in the box!

I've also just ordered a DroboPro and 8 x 1.5Tb HDDs - came to around £1500 - far cheaper than looking into new tape technology (as richardp mentions) and about the same cost as building a new Openfiler box. This should give us 9.36Tb usable capacity with single-disk redunancy or 8.17Tb with dual.

I believe the Drobo's can also be chained together using "Smart Volumes" to give a maximum of 16 units, each with the potential of 16Tb capacity.

I don't think I'd consider it as a replacement to an Enterprise-class storage device, but as a backup medium its looking very promising.
    Last edited by john_robbo; 1st August 2009 at 11:10 AM.

10. Thanks to john_robbo from:

john (1st August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    The Drobo sounds like it could be a good product for me to look into for backing up my shiny Sun SAN that Andy @ Cuter tells me will arrive next week

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12