+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Switch upgrades advice in Technical; I'm looking to replace the rest of our 100base-t switches to 1000base-t, to iron out some bottlenecks and get the ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Switch upgrades advice

I'm looking to replace the rest of our 100base-t switches to 1000base-t, to iron out some bottlenecks and get the network running as fast as possible. Had a quote from our LEA yesterday.

8 x HP ProCurve Switch 3500yl-48G-PWR Intel Edge = 14435.28 (top managed switches 1 for each cabinet)
    15 x HP ProCurve Switch 1400-24G = 2,554.35 (unmanaged switches)
    400 to install.
    Total 17k

Firstly do you think this is a reasonable price? I could do the unmanaged switches myself but they don't like us to change the managed ones. Also does it make a noticeable amount of difference to users converting all over to 1000 base-t? Every cabinet is connected via fibre backbone. I need to convince SLT to let me have 17k to do this!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdibsdale View Post
    I'm looking to replace the rest of our 100base-t switches to 1000base-t, to iron out some bottlenecks and get the network running as fast as possible. Had a quote from our LEA yesterday.

8 x HP ProCurve Switch 3500yl-48G-PWR Intel Edge = 14435.28 (top managed switches 1 for each cabinet)
    400 to install.
    Total 17k

Firstly do you think this is a reasonable price? I could do the unmanaged switches myself but they don't like us to change the managed ones. Also does it make a noticeable amount of difference to users converting all over to 1000 base-t? Every cabinet is connected via fibre backbone. I need to convince SLT to let me have 17k to do this!

Thanks

Well it will get rid of any bottle necks you have.

As the 1400 Series has 22 x 1000 base-t sockets you have to persume that your workstations also have capable network cards in there also to handle the speed, otherwise the upgrade is pointeless.

If they do then the upgrade will probably be worth the money, all though I think that if you bought and installed the switches yourself, you would get better value for money.

If you dont have the tech expertise to do the managed part just pay for them to come do that part for you, the money you save spend on doing the office up a bit!

D

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

400 to install.
    Total 17k

Thanks
    Hi Jenny,

Joe will be in touch today to give you some price comparison regarding your requirements for Procurve equipment and installation as we are very strong in this area,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,339 Posts
    Thanks
    Do you need power over ethernet on those switches then? if so fine if not you are paying a lot more money for something you are not going to use.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Do you need power over ethernet on those switches then? if so fine if not you are paying a lot more money for something you are not going to use.

Ben
    That's a fair point there plexer, normall the POE versions of Procurve Kit are alot more expensive a search on Google shows:

HP ProCurve Switch 3500yl-48G-PWR Intelligent Edge Switch - EN, Fast EN, Gigabit EN

Comapred to:

HP ProCurve Switch 2810-48G Switch - stackable - EN, Fast EN, Gigabit EN - English / United Kingdom

Some money saving there!

Thank Post

400 to install.
    Total 17k

Thanks
    I don't see the need for the 3500s unless you are moving to 10Gb for the uplinks (even then there are cheaper 10Gb procurves).

If you are also replacing all the switches, I think it would be a better idea to go with all managed switches, although this would be expensive.

The problem is with unmanaged is that you could still have bottlenecks, but you would have spent a fortune on switches and still can't locate the problem. Do you also need PoE?

How deep are current racks? the HPs will need a 550mm deep cabinet, the 3500 PoE will probably need an 800mm deep floor standing cab.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies, POE is not required, not currently anyway. We have some POE ports on our main switch in the server room, which we don't use. Switches are not really my forte, so I will need to get some advice on the topology of our network, to ensure that what we spend will actually be beneficial and noticeable on the network. Sometimes the network does seem to slow or every so often we get a brief blip where we lose network connectivity for a few seconds, so I want to get these sorted.

Thanks,
    Jenny

Thank Post
    With managed switches you would be able to sort these "blips" out easily with the software included like proCurve Manager and the inbuild software.

Procurve FTW every time!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    With managed switches you would be able to sort these "blips" out easily with the software included like proCurve Manager and the inbuild software.
    Procurve manager all the way... worth it alone for the switch/port# searching with MAC/IPs

Shame mobility manager is so expensive!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post

Shame mobility manager is so expensive!
    Agreed, or it would be excellent!

Thank Post
    Another vote for procurve, but why are you buying the 1400-24G when you can buy the 1800-24G which is managed. I bought some of these at about 230 each. The only downfall is that they have 24 ports but 2 of them share a fibre connection, this meaning that if you plug a fibre connection into the 2 fibre ports you only get a 22 port switch

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread