+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, USB Weirdness in Technical; Hey Guys. I am in a bit of a conundrum, i have a PC that isn't recognizing any usb devices ...
    Thank Post

USB Weirdness

Hey Guys.

I am in a bit of a conundrum, i have a PC that isn't recognizing any usb devices apart from 1 mouse, the story goes like this:

Last week the teacher was using the pc as usual to teach, smb, pen drive etc were all connected and such then she connected a camera and ALL the usb devices stopped responding. Being the smart teacher she is she tried the usual of restarting the machine, then switch off all electrics, leaving for 30 secs and restarting again, no joy.

Basically ANY device that uses USB now comes up with "usb device not recognized" unless its the mouse, that mouse works in every port on the pc front and back.

I have tried formatting the machine and placing a brand new image onto the pc but still the same issue. Any ideas as im stuck apart from replacing the machine.

B

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetooth View Post
    Hey Guys.

I am in a bit of a conundrum, i have a PC that isn't recognizing any usb devices apart from 1 mouse, the story goes like this:

Last week the teacher was using the pc as usual to teach, smb, pen drive etc were all connected and such then she connected a camera and ALL the usb devices stopped responding. Being the smart teacher she is she tried the usual of restarting the machine, then switch off all electrics, leaving for 30 secs and restarting again, no joy.

Basically ANY device that uses USB now comes up with "usb device not recognized" unless its the mouse, that mouse works in every port on the pc front and back.

I have tried formatting the machine and placing a brand new image onto the pc but still the same issue. Any ideas as im stuck apart from replacing the machine.

B
    Ensure usb is enabled in bios ( usb mouse, usb keyboard, onboard usb etc )

Get latest chipset drivers from motherboards manufacturers website and install those over the top.

If that does not work then go into device manager and delete everything from the usb section when in safe mode and it should re detect and re install the usb devices.

http://usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm

I normally use the usbman site ( think it has an FAQ section as well )
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 13th July 2009 at 01:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chuck a PCI USB card in it and try that. It sounds hardware related if it has persisted through a new image. It may have blown the power circuts on the integrated USB for high drain devices.

Thank Post
    What happens if you plug a powered USB hub into one of the ports and then try connecting devices through that?

Disconnect all USB devices, run USBDeview from Nirsoft (USBDeview - View all installed/connected USB devices on your system) - nuke all previously connected devices and start again... May need to reinstall any USB drivers which were not plug and play - eg smart board, cameras etc.

Thank Post
    Been through this with my parents' PC. PCI card was the solution. Fujitsu-Siemens box, no idea whose MoBo though. Exactly the same symptoms.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately i didn't get anywhere with those solutions guys, have canned it and just swapped it with a machine from ICT, no usb in the ICT room so itll do, thanks all =-)

Thank Post
    Here we go again!

Apologies for digging up my old topic but this is related to the issue above.

Since my last post regarding a swap out, i have had one of my supplies come take a look and he surmised a fault usb cable for the smartboard, swapped out this is now working OK however -;

The teacher has a usb pen drive that has now stopped working, coming up with the usual usb device not recognized, there is another teacher who doesnt teach much in there but is getting the same with her pen drives.

Both pen drives work elsewhere on other machines and i have tried both these pens in the original machine that i shifted into the ICT room and they both work..?

I hate these USB issues.

Any ideas guys?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread