+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Acer Travel Mate 5730 series in Technical; Anyone got feedback on the Acer Travel Mate 5730 notebook and Acer's 3 year extended 'carry in' warranty please....
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Acer Travel Mate 5730 series

Anyone got feedback on the Acer Travel Mate 5730 notebook and Acer's 3 year extended 'carry in' warranty please.

Thank Post
    Acer make good laptops, only really problem is they can be quite bulky, and they have a nasty habit of locking the bios, so you can't put any other OS then what it comes with. Somtimes you can only even boot an Acer OS CD to do something like chkdsk

3. Thanks to Potato-Peeler from:

speckytecky (10th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato-Peeler View Post
    Acer make good laptops, only really problem is they can be quite bulky, and they have a nasty habit of locking the bios, so you can't put any other OS then what it comes with. Somtimes you can only even boot an Acer OS CD to do something like chkdsk
    Hi

Not come across the Bios problem on this laptop, we offer install Vista Business on Home Premium Laptops or Windows on Linux etc. The only issue comes when trying to install an OS that is not supported by drivers, windows 2000 for example may cause problems as current range does not have windows 2000 drivers.

All the current ranges, including 5730 with Vista Business allow you to downgrade to XP Pro via a CD in the box and upgrade to Windows 7 in October. All Vista Home Premium laptops allow you to upgrade to Windows 7.

Although they are calling the upgrade "free" you actually have to pay around 13 for "admin and postage" which you sort out online.

As for being bulky I see what you are saying, the extensa series is a budget laptops which can be bulky but the travelmate 5730 is better. If you are looking for a light weight laptop with amazing battery life (up to 9 hours) I would suggest the Travelmate 8371, prices are around 550-650. I can send spec if anyone is interested as they are not on Acer Outlet yet.

Hope that helps

5. Thanks to acer-man from:

speckytecky (10th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Anyone got feedback on the Acer Travel Mate 5730 notebook and Acer's 3 year extended 'carry in' warranty please.
    Sorry should have said in my previous post, the 3 year warranty is very good, normal turnaround is 2-3 days and the warranty comes with a "free" mouse and carry case.

If you would like some prices for different models feel free to have a look on the main Acer Outlet site or send me a PM.

Thanks

Thank Post
    We had 11 Acer Travelmate 5720's last year, with 3 year warranty, been great so far

I had to return my old personal laptop (Acer Ferrari) under warranty once, and it was back with me within 5 days, so no probs with warranty service. They keep you up to date with the status of what's happening as well.

I think Acer developed a bit of a bad reputation with warranty support a few years ago, and you may read some knightmare stories, but I think things have completely changed since then. I certainly didn't have any problems getting through on the phone or anything, and I know others who have had no problems as well.

8. Thanks to andy_d from:

acer-man (13th July 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread