+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Do I Need To Log On ?. in Technical; Hello All. Yet another question about this W2k.. 'HP.. LP 2000 Netserver server' I doing for the school. As I ...
    Thank Post

Do I Need To Log On ?.

Hello All.

Yet another question about this W2k.. 'HP.. LP 2000 Netserver server' I doing for the school.

As I said in an old post the only place for the server in this very small school is in the office on the desk, But with the pupils having access to it.( age 4 to 11 ).

My questions are:-
    1..Do I have to log on for it to work ? .. eg. switch it on > boot > log on > leave running 24/7 .
    2..Or when I have it set up can I log off.?.
    3.. Do I need to have the key board and mouse and a monitor plugged in ?. (or shall I just try it later on today with out them to see?).
    4.. Thinking of unplugging floppy/cd rom drives and the switch / reset buttons are under a flap which I was going to seal with a label.
    5.. Do you use any GUI like 'Tight VNC' to access the server from another part of your network.

Thanks Michael..

Thank Post

Re: Do I Need To Log On ?.

1. You do not need to logon.
    3. That is usually harware dependant. You can usually set it to ignore the fact theres no keyboard etc, they call this "headless" If it does need a keyboard to boot you can usuall unplug it after it has booted. Your best using a usb keyboard incase you have to plug it back again.
    4. If you feel it will help then go ahead.
    5. To administer windows servers I generally use the remote desktop client.

Run > mstsc

or mstsc /console /v:servername

Will get you the same screen as if you logged on from the local terminal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

1/2) I leave mine logged on all the time and locked, always done that since NT4 so I just keep doing that, also makes it quicker to get in if theres an error message or if the network dies around them or something as I can logon and do things. I always leave them running 24X7. The last time I shut a server down something died in it, so I hate shutting them down.

3) I never use USB keyboards and Mice unless I have to as I have had machines decided to "loose" there PS2 ports when using USB ones for a while, which is annoying

4) The server really should be out of harms way, staff are good enough to not touch if you ask them nicely, (or best bet, if you school has only ladies or the vertically challenged in the staff, put the server high up on a shelf then they cannot reach anything to press , must be something to do with being over 6ft that makes me not notice there problem).

5) I tend to either use Remote Desktop or the actual Server itself if its handy enough.

Thank Post

Hi.
    I tried run>mstsc etc.
    But it said in could not find it ?...Do I have to install it or turn it on ? is it on windows 2000 server and W2K workstations ? ... that's on XP only ?

Tight VNC is a GUI remote desktop and I have tried it out on my experimental wifi link to school / home (150mts.) last night and it seemed good.

I have not got a USB keyboard but I have a spare 2 way KVM electronic switch I could hook on it, if I did use this, you say I could safely log out and leave it like that and use KVM to change onto other office computer.

"Put server up high", well I called this an office bit more like office / junk store room and no space than the desk next to the office computer.
    'john over 6ft' you would not get in !!!.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

If you have a kvm hook that up to the server it will keep the keyboard and mouse ports active.

If it's not enabled you to enable remote dektop connections on your server and then if you are using a 2k client install the remote desktop client software on it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx

Ben

Thank Post

Hi All .

Thanks for the link Ben . I installed the 'remote desktop' but I keeps asking for the terminal server .?.

The server is happy with the KVM hooked on it.

Regards Michael.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You need to install the Terminal Services service on the server for the RDP Client to work. To do so, go to Add/Remove Programs, press Add/Remove Windows Components, wait for the Components Wizard to appear, find and choose Terminal Services and press Next. It will ask you what mode you want to install it in, choose Remote Administration mode.

Thats it. Once it is installed and running you can connect to the server using the RDP client. You'll find it is a lot faster than VNC.

Thank Post

Hello
    Just to re cap what I want to do with remote desktop is to sit at home and access The DC server (win 2k adv sever), and each of the 30 work station (Win2K pro.) and a wifi link server (win2k server)
    From home On a work station which has win2k server on it ( eg to run the school network from home --see my other posts).

So In that case were do I enable the terminal server ? is it on the DC or on the one at my home end or does it not mater ?

Thank for help .

From Michael .

Thank Post

You enable terminal services on your school server and you can then use the terminal services client from home - this is probably best downloaded from MS (Windows dums it in some deep directory when you install TS). Do NOT enable terminal services in application server mode!!!

For the workstations, you are probabl just as well installing VNC cos 2K doesn't have desktop sharing IIRC. I find Ultr@VNC to be good. Also grab that AD plugin that ajbritton posted (see downloads forum) so that you can turn the machines on and off remotely.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tickmike
    Hello
    Just to re cap what I want to do with remote desktop is to sit at home and access The DC server (win 2k adv sever), and each of the 30 work station (Win2K pro.) and a wifi link server (win2k server)
    From home On a work station which has win2k server on it ( eg to run the school network from home --see my other posts).
    Michael

Something else you could possibly look into is www.logmein.com. I have been using it here on my servers for about 4 months now with no problems at all. You can pay for extra options but the free version should be fine for your needs.

Thank Post

I agree with sylv3r. I use logmein just about every day; it's awesome. For what you pay (nothing) you get an excellent return (lots of stuff)

Thank Post

Thanks I will try some of these idea's.
    The Free one's are the best for this charity.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information