+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Help me pick a server in Technical; Hi Folks I've got a couple of quotes in for a new server. They're both roughly the same price, and ...

Thank Post

Help me pick a server

Hi Folks

I've got a couple of quotes in for a new server. They're both roughly the same price, and I wasn't too sure which one would be the best option - considering price / performance, features, energy use and future upgradeability. I'll list the basic specs here:

Server 1 - Poweredge T605 - 2 Socket Tower
    2* AMD Opteron 2384 (2.7Ghz 'Shanghai' CPU)
    8Gb ECC DDR2 800Mhz
    SAS RAID

Server 2 - Poweredge T410 - 2 Socket Tower
    1* Intel Xeon 5520 (2.26Ghz 'Nehalem' CPU)
    4Gb ECC DDR3 1066Mhz
    SAS RAID

I'm not sure how the performance of the AMD System compares with the Intel one - I know that the Shanghai chips perform well against the Xeon 54xx series, but I haven't been able to find many direct comparisons to the 55xx series. I imagine the AMD system will be faster to begin with, but is it worth going for the Intel system for the future upgradeability? Would 2 CPU's in the Intel system be *noticeably* more powerful than the 2 Opteron CPU system?

Also, if anyone has any experiece with either of these server chassis, it would be nice to hear your thoughts on features / BIOS options / remote manageability etc. It seems that the T605 may have a more extensive feature set but I can't find much solid info out there.

Thanks for your input folks :-)
    Last edited by Joe_Pineapples; 7th July 2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: I hadn't finished it yet

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Server 1 is definitely the more powerful out of the two.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Pineapples View Post
    Hi Folks

I've got a couple of quotes in for a new server. They're both roughly the same price, and I wasn't too sure which one would be the best option - considering price / performance, features, energy use and future upgradeability. I'll list the basic specs here:

Server 1 - Poweredge T605 - 2 Socket Tower
    2* AMD Opteron 2384 (2.7Ghz 'Shanghai' CPU)
    8Gb ECC DDR2 800Mhz
    SAS RAID

Server 2 - Poweredge T410 - 2 Socket Tower
    1* Intel Xeon 5520 (2.26Ghz 'Nehalem' CPU)
    4Gb ECC DDR3 1066Mhz
    SAS RAID

I'm not sure how the performance of the AMD System compares with the Intel one - I know that the Shanghai chips perform well against the Xeon 54xx series, but I haven't been able to find many direct comparisons to the 55xx series. I imagine the AMD system will be faster to begin with, but is it worth going for the Intel system for the future upgradeability? Would 2 CPU's in the Intel system be *noticeably* more powerful than the 2 Opteron CPU system?

Thanks for your input folks :-)
    Be sure to give me a shout if you would like a comparison quote from ourselves as we are very stong on Dell pricing,

Thank Post
    @ Michael - Yeah I thought it would be too, but from what I've read it seems that the Nehalem Xeons are significantly better per - chip than the Shanghai Opterons; if the difference is only a small performance advantage to the 2 Chip AMD system, I'd be prepared to spend the cash on the Intel rig and have future upgradeability and power saving etc etc. Besides, I've never used an AMD Server system before, only on the desktop, and I don't know if the whole platform is as extensively featured as the Intel stuff.

@CPLTD - I'd be happy to look at a comparitive quote if you can supply one. I'll PM you my email.

5. Thanks to Joe_Pineapples from:

CPLTD (7th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Pineapples View Post
    @ Michael - Yeah I thought it would be too, but from what I've read it seems that the Nehalem Xeons are significantly better per - chip than the Shanghai Opterons; if the difference is only a small performance advantage to the 2 Chip AMD system, I'd be prepared to spend the cash on the Intel rig and have future upgradeability and power saving etc etc. Besides, I've never used an AMD Server system before, only on the desktop, and I don't know if the whole platform is as extensively featured as the Intel stuff.

@CPLTD - I'd be happy to look at a comparitive quote if you can supply one. I'll PM you my email.
    Many thanks fella, If you can send me over the full specs Ill get straight onto it for you,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread