+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Hardware Thread, Anyone using Atom powered desktops? in Technical; Originally Posted by mwnci I've got a room full of Acer Revo 3610s. These are the dual core Revos with ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mwnci View Post
    I've got a room full of Acer Revo 3610s. These are the dual core Revos with 4gb of RAM. They are all running Windows 7 Pro, and for the applications we are running, speed is simply not an issue. These machines are mainly used for office 2007 and web browsing, although we also do some basic video editing on them and run plenty of primary multimedia applications.

It is remarkable to be in the room when all 40 are turned on as it is almost silent. Unless you are running some seriously processor intensive software, I would highly recommend these small computers.

Are they bolting / secured into the plastic quick release cradle at all mate?
    I can easily see someone unplugging and popping one of these in thier bag?

Thank Post
    Apparently the Revo is getting an update soon with Nvidia Ion 2 , question is how soon? Maybe that will mean cheaper existing R3610 soon...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dtakias View Post
    Apparently the Revo is getting an update soon with Nvidia Ion 2 , question is how soon? Maybe that will mean cheaper existing R3610 soon...
    I picked up a Ex Display 3610 (Dual Core Atom, 2Gb, No OS) for about £180, not bad? They may well be coming down tho. Has anyone used these in a Primary School? I know primary software is a lot more graphical and wonder how they perform.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dtakias View Post
    I came across this surprising article stating that the first look of the ion2 has revealed it slower than the current ion!

Nvidia Ion 2 GPU Benchmarked As Slower Than Its Predecessor - ion 2 - Gizmodo

I've had my R3610 for a few days now and loving it! I still need to install Windows 7 but having too much fun with XBMC Live.

Thank Post
    This suite is in a primary school and they manage all of the primary applications no problem. Most of these are just flash based - and aren't a massive strain on the resources of the machine.

In response to the question about securing the Revos to the monitor, no they are not bolted to the screens - to be honest I'm not sure how you could do that easily as a result of the small chasis on the Revo. We will rely on other measures such as cctv etc - fortunately we don't have a problem with student vandalism.

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Here are our electricity costs per pc per year based on a school average on and off peak usage pattern and current off and on peak electricity costs.

£21.09/year - Dell Optiplex GX520 P4 3.00Ghz PC
    £19.62/year - RM Core2 Quad 2.66 PC
    £8.16/year - RM EcoQuiet Atom PC
    £4.12/year - HP T5135 Thin Client
    £1.51/year - Axel M70w / Sun Ray II Thin Client

Also for VDU devices:

£16.14/year - 17" CRT
    £6.35/year - 19" TFT

So - moving from an ICT suite of 30 x older Dell P4 workstation and 17" CRT to a Atom PC with 19" TFT's will save you £681.60 per year just in electricity.

Butuz
    Its all well and good saying energy saving on the desktops. however what about the power consumption of the heavy servers running the thin clients.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Its all well and good saying energy saving on the desktops. however what about the power consumption of the heavy servers running the thin clients.
    Hey it's a good point. My £681.60 per year saving was based on using Atom PC's as dekstops, so no thin client servers needed in that example.

With our thin clients, based on our usage, and the fact our terminal servers are virtualised (which further reduces server costs) thin clients still work out significantly cheaper to a) buy and b) run than even the atom desktops and that's including the server costs and power consumption etc. When your moving from old P4 type fat clients with possibly CRT monitors, huge energy cost savings can be made by selecting newer, much more efficient equipment such as Atoms or thin clients.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Just picked up on this thread . .

and have a question - Would CMIS run well on one of these?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Just picked up on this thread . .

and have a question - Would CMIS run well on one of these?
    Is that like the education version of will it run CRYSIS?
    Facilitys only limiting factor is that it runs from a network drive, so the slight delay to pull it down and run it in memory is the only issue. You could probably run Facility on a celeron with no issues if you felt like it. Remember its just a pants front end for an SQL database after all

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Is that like the education version of will it run CRYSIS?
    Facilitys only limiting factor is that it runs from a network drive, so the slight delay to pull it down and run it in memory is the only issue. You could probably run Facility on a celeron with no issues if you felt like it. Remember its just a pants front end for an SQL database after all
    Yes, I'm thinking about getting one of these for our bursar to begin with and all she uses is Office and CMIS... Maybe worth a try..

I'm also thinking about attaching some of these to the network to run IWB's from instead of teachers laptops that there always forgetting to bring to work!!!

going to see if I can get a demo unit from somewere to give it a little test!

Thank Post
    For those of you that have these how have you licenced them?

My supplier states that they come with w7 home and that i'd have to purchase a full retail copy of W7 Pro to be able to downgrade to XP Pro.

This obviously pushes the price right up!

Thank Post
    I have personal bought one of these, I already had a W7Pro license and so didn't want to buy W7Home, so I got the Linux version, does your supplier have any of these? Revo 3610 with Limpus Linux I think it is.

Thank Post
    If you want to use Windows on it you'll have to get the machine with an MS OEM licence anyway. Ours had Windows 7 Home on them, then we bought the Pro upgrade licence.

Thank Post
    Can I ask if any school is using the Asus EEBox PC Model EB1502.

I am thinking of trying these out in a small area where the main use is office internet and online exams?

Does anyone recommend them?

thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345