+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Anyone using Atom powered desktops? in Technical; Originally Posted by Netman Hope that helps anyone thinking of using them - any specific q's - fire away.... Don't ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Hope that helps anyone thinking of using them - any specific q's - fire away....
    Don't suppose you have a copy of CS3 to test on them? I know performance won't be marvellous, but it would be useful to know if it's usable.

We're suffering from "everything must be available everywhere" syndrome due to timetable restrictons / jenga and it'd be nice to replace an upcoming room with something that runs cooler, less power and is cheaper.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    So which is the better choice the Veriton or the AspireRevo
    Our Veritons running Windows XP seem to work fine - they installed and ran our standard suite of software, which includes Adobe CS3. If I had any cameras available I'd nip down and get a picture of our snazzy new staff work area - the case of the Veritons just poke up over the top of an Acer 19" widescreen monitor, making a very handy stand for a keyboard. If people want to use the desk for something else they can tuck the keyboard out of the way and the PC only takes up a few centimetres of desk space. Still can't quite believe these were just over £300 each - PC, monitor, mounting adaptor, Windows XP Pro installed, delivery, VAT, the lot.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Don't suppose you have a copy of CS3 to test on them?
    CS3 installs and loads, admitedly I haven't done any more than that yet. I can give it a go, though.

--
    David Hicks

4. Thanks to dhicks from:

pete (13th October 2009)

Thank Post
    I got myself a r3600 and it runs Windows 7 OK.

Just read that a dual core Atom 330 version will be released at somepoint!

Thank Post
    Just spotted that Acer have launched the Aspire Revo 3610, has a Dual Core Intel Atom 330 processor - has anyone got one?

Products

Thank Post
    It'll be interesting to see what happens in the processor market, the atom is an awsome processor.

With the uptake of cloud computing growing by the day the atom is here to stay, a processor with enought grunt to be a desktop/or energy efficient enough to be greener than many others. It'll be interesting to see what alternatives become avalible if there isn't any alreddy?

Thank Post
    The AspireRevo R3610 looks very interesting. I am thinking of getting about 30 of those for one of the primary schools we do support for. They have a laptop Suite with old laptops and not enough space for desktops.
    What monitor should I get those with? Most of the school software run on 4:3 format.

How about the B173 17" 4:3 from ACER? Will the Revos be able to mount on those screens?

Also I am not sure about the wireless keyboard/mouse but I guess I can always replace them with wired ones...

I reckon the dual core Atom should provide sufficient power for all school software, office suite and firefox internet browsing?!

thanks
    nick

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dtakias View Post
    The AspireRevo R3610 looks very interesting. I am thinking of getting about 30 of those for one of the primary schools we do support for. They have a laptop Suite with old laptops and not enough space for desktops.
    What monitor should I get those with? Most of the school software run on 4:3 format.

How about the B173 17" 4:3 from ACER? Will the Revos be able to mount on those screens?

Also I am not sure about the wireless keyboard/mouse but I guess I can always replace them with wired ones...

I reckon the dual core Atom should provide sufficient power for all school software, office suite and firefox internet browsing?!

thanks
    nick
    Hiya Nick,

Be sure to give me a shout for a quote on the R3610 units as we are very strong on Acer pricing,

Thank Post
    In my last school we installed 90 eee-box in 3 class rooms. running office, fireworks and flash and all basic apps. Then we had 11 eee-box in the admin offices all running sims and everything else they where able to run on a standard pc.

all eee-boxes are running xp-rm-cc3, we the ict team went for the eee-box as they would look better if we decided to go the thinclient route.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Hiya Nick,

Be sure to give me a shout for a quote on the R3610 units as we are very strong on Acer pricing,
    Thanks Simon
    Are you able to provide a unit for evaluation?

Thank Post
    Just got me an NVIDIA Ion 330 Atom for my HTPC and it runs 1080p video fine and with CUDA (?) begining to come into more software I would hope it should eat up alot of tasks thrown at it.

Admittedly mine does little more than play videos so I cant give you a full rundown on its useability but so far im impressed.

13. Thanks to CHR1S from:

dtakias (3rd November 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Simon
    Are you able to provide a unit for evaluation?
    will look into this for you , have just sent you a pm

Thank Post

thanks
    nick
    Hi Nick,

We have some mounted on the Acer V173 which looks identical. The only problem with vesa mounting them is that they have the ability to slide up and down and do so too easily, so if you push a usb stick into them, they slide down the mount at the back - not the end of the world, but an annoying 'design feature' none the less. We might have to bodge them with some super glue or something so they stay still!

16. Thanks to Netman from:

Thank Post
    Will the Revos be able to mount on those screens?
    The specification for the Revo R3610 reckons it mounts on a standard VESA mount, and the specification page for that monitor lists "Wall-mount", "100mmX100mm", which would be a standard VESA 100 mount.

I would doubt 30 wireless mice and keyboards in a small room is a good idea...

I'm ever so pleased with the Veriton N260G I got from Acer Outlet - it screws to the back of the TV in my girlfriend's flat and just dissapears from view, you can't even tell there's a PC there. Finally, computers are getting so that pretty much anything you buy will be able to do pretty much anything most people want, you don't have to mess around choosing between different expensive upgrades, and manufacturers are making hardware that just tucks away out of site and gets on with things, you don't have to dedicate a whole section of your house as "the computer area" anymore.

--
    David Hicks

18. Thanks to dhicks from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    will look into this for you , have just sent you a pm
    +1 I'd be interested in a demo as well. I have a room being refreshed at Easter and the Eco-Ninjas are a bit keen here, plus the desks are cramped with full-sized desktops.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast