+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Anyone using Atom powered desktops? in Technical; Losing your touch Simon, they already have Buy an Acer Veriton N260G Nettop (UK, 1.66GHz, 2GB, 160GB, Vista Business), #P1.RCEYZ.MIS ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts

2. 2 Thanks to SYSMAN_MK:

CPLTD (3rd July 2009), pete (7th July 2009)

Thank Post
    I am tempted by the Acer Veriton, despite it being Acer. Anyone willing to send me a loan unit to stress test?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    But to state the obvious the Veriton's not the same acer nettop as the AspireRevo - in that it doesn't have the NVIDIA ION chipset.
    We spent a deal of time finding Windows XP driver to make the AspireREvo work, but now that we have it works great but it IS a shame it's not an option out of the book for those who don't have a working XP image.

Thank Post
    I'm holding out for the dual core version of the Revo to be released. Word is that it should be available before the end of October, probably to coincide with Windows 7. That extra processing power will make all the difference for what we need it to do. New dual core version of asus eee box coming out too, probably at the same time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 818 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm beginning to look at these for one of my schools. They've currently just removed over half of their IT suite and dumped the machines into classrooms, one purely running the IWB (Promethean) without a monitor. They are however dreadfully slow (P4 2ghz, 256mb ram).
    On one hand, £20 each machine will add another gb of ram which will make a HUGE difference.
    On the other, I was looking to recommend something like the Asus EEEPc atom jobbies. 1.6ghz, gig of ram, possibly standalone or possibly on CC3, undecided.
    I'm just pondering whether they would take CC3, be any better than what's in situation currently or be able to handle anything a bit "beefy" should the need arise. The teachers use laptops, and I was also considering a VNC style link should they want to stream something from laptop over wireless to the IWB/projector without fiddling with cables.
    Keeping an eye on the thread for thoughts and ideas.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I was also considering a VNC style link should they want to stream something from laptop over wireless to the IWB/projector without fiddling with cables.
    I'm thinking of the same kind of thing. We've just bought a couple of Acer Nettop machines (thanks, Acer Outlet) running Windows XP, small enough to be mounted on a standard VESA mount. We could mount one of those on the wall of a classroom, hook it up to a projector and let the teacher control the screen via a laptop / Tablet PC. Note that the laptop or whatever doing the controlling via VNC is only passing along keypresses and mouse clicks - any video or graphics gets rendered on the machine attached to the projector, so video should be smooth (although it might not show up on the VNC connected machine, but that's a minor detail).

--
    David Hicks
    Last edited by dhicks; 21st September 2009 at 09:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thats about the size of the idea here. As you say, the machines are easily hidden away - in fact, there's enough clearance on the IWB's mounting to hide them behind there. Maybe with a bluetooth presenter thingy attached too. Just experimenting with "easy" ways to do this - the last thing I want to do is confuse teachers with more technology

Thank Post
    The ones I bought from Stone - I got with 2GB of RAM and they are yet to cause us any issues here running any software.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sylv3r, could I be cheeky and enquire as to a rough cost for those?

Thank Post
    We aren't using them on the desktop but i'm running an Atom powered NC10 with Windows 7, Open Office and also wireless encryption at home and it runs fine.

Thank Post

Thumbs up

We just deployed 75 Acer Revo R3600's over the summer, replacing nearly a third of our desktops... had to go XP on them in the end, as we just didn't have enough time to complete testing of all our apps on W7. Apart from one DOA and some teething troubles with getting the image just right, they have all deployed and work like a charm. They were replacing 3 year old desktops and thin clients and performance for general Office/Web and even some photoshop elements work is fine. The Nvidia Ion really shines on multimedia with full screen streaming video not being a problem. We are also deploying them as digital signage clients using Xibo. We got the 1Gb RAM and were going to upgrade them to 2Gb, but having seen them in action there isn't much need to at the moment - we'll get to it later this year some time...

Hope that helps anyone thinking of using them - any specific q's - fire away....
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Thanks to Netman from:

AndyD (23rd September 2009)

Thank Post
    So which is the better choice the Veriton or the AspireRevo - There is only about £28 between them with 2GB of RAM...

I would be looking at installing Windows 7 on them, is the driver support for them OK? What is the general performance like with them?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    Acer Aspire Revo R3600 Desktop PC - Desktops at Ebuyer

looks to be one of the better Atom nettops.
    Yep. I'm pretty sure this came out top on the recent Gadget Show SFF PC face-off.

I built a PC up 2 weeks ago, and i'm impressed. I bought an Intel LittleFalls 2 board (330 chip in it, so 64 bit & Dual Core) and a spare 1 gig stick of ram and it runs nice. I've put a DVB-S card in the only PCI slot, and it's fast enough to display 9 channels (at least) simultaneously in PIP, and also its got just enough (and I mean JUST) to display BBC HD on the fly. No doubt an extra gig of ram would be nice, but this was a "tinker" project, so I wasn't going to go out and buy a 2 gig strip.

If I was going to buy a complete Atom system, after seeing the demo, I'd go for the Revo.

Chunks

Thank Post
    I've got one of these
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-Nettop-System-Gigabit-Integrated/dp/B002JCYUVC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254315799&sr =8-2]ASRock Nettop Ion 330 System Black Nvidia DDR2 800: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

As a Media Pc runs BBC iPlayer, Divx movies and DVD/Blu-Ray without a jitter on a HDTV well pleased with it

--

In school we've also started using some atom machines that we've built from bits rather than buy pre-assembled machines - we can build them for £180 including the Windows Licensing.

Using the Dual Core boards with 1GB of RAM and they run XP with office Internet etc without a hitch, also quite happy when used as staff workstations playing DVDs, running Whiteboards and using SIMS.

Thank Post
    I evaled an early single core atom desktop which was nice but struggled with flash content and for a primary school wasnt acceptable. Im about to try out a dual core with the NVIDIA chipset which is supposed to be miles better.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast