+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Heat. in Technical; Now i know the obvious answers to this question i just want a little more help.. Basically i know all ...

Thank Post

Heat.

Now i know the obvious answers to this question i just want a little more help..

Basically i know all about water cooling systems, blahblah, but i need more advanced help.

I run a basic tower setup, 1 side casing fan, 1 PSU fan blowing air out, and also an internal fan on my GFX card, but my room is reaching extreme heats, im also using dual monitors, neither of which seem that hot to touch, but even if my machine is off for long periods of time my room is still hot compared to everywhere in the house, im sure its the PC anyway.

Basically can anyone recommend if its worth having monitor fans, where to get them etc etc.. and good cooling systems or fans for my machine, which can also have another rear fan..

i dont fancy spending a fortune on really extensive kit so please bear that in mind.

Any help would be good Thanks alot.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobe123x View Post
    Now i know the obvious answers to this question i just want a little more help..

Basically i know all about water cooling systems, blahblah, but i need more advanced help.

I run a basic tower setup, 1 side casing fan, 1 PSU fan blowing air out, and also an internal fan on my GFX card, but my room is reaching extreme heats, im also using dual monitors, neither of which seem that hot to touch, but even if my machine is off for long periods of time my room is still hot compared to everywhere in the house, im sure its the PC anyway.
    Get 120mm fans for the front and back, and the most efficient power supply you can get your hands on. Forget the side fans, concentrate on creating a smooth flow of air in one direction. Side fans just disrupt the flow. Use SATA cables or thin IDE cables, and bind everything together into tight looms that you can route outside of the airflow. Maintain good general air circulation around the case so that a supply of fresh air is always available. Dust regularly.

Implement software power saving wherever possible. Don't overclock or increase core voltages; set processors to wind their frequencies down as aggressively as possible. Use a flower CPU fan like a Zalman solution to dissipate heat more effectively into the passing air. Ensure air movement around hard drives is unrestricted.

Basically can anyone recommend if its worth having monitor fans, where to get them etc etc.. and good cooling systems or fans for my machine, which can also have another rear fan..
    Forget monitor fans, ensure free-flowing air around them. They are not in an enclosed space, so heat will simply rise off them.

Thank Post
    First, thank you for the speedy reply, looking at my machine the side fan is a fan that brings air into the machine rather than blowing out is this still going to be a problem for the air flow or will it help to bring cold air into the tower?

Secondly, am i right in thinking that i will need to buy an intake fan for the rear, and an outtake fan for the front??

Wont this just be pumping all the hot air out into my room therefore making the room hotter??

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Get 120mm fans for the front and back, and the most efficient power supply you can get your hands on. Forget the side fans, concentrate on creating a smooth flow of air in one direction. Side fans just disrupt the flow. Use SATA cables or thin IDE cables, and bind everything together into tight looms that you can route outside of the airflow. Maintain good general air circulation around the case so that a supply of fresh air is always available. Dust regularly.

Implement software power saving wherever possible. Don't overclock or increase core voltages; set processors to wind their frequencies down as aggressively as possible. Use a flower CPU fan like a Zalman solution to dissipate heat more effectively into the passing air. Ensure air movement around hard drives is unrestricted.

Forget monitor fans, ensure free-flowing air around them. They are not in an enclosed space, so heat will simply rise off them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobe123x View Post
    First, thank you for the speedy reply, looking at my machine the side fan is a fan that brings air into the machine rather than blowing out is this still going to be a problem for the air flow or will it help to bring cold air into the tower?
    No, either direction of side fan distorts the flow of air from front to back. Your aim is to create a smooth flow in one direction to vent heat out of the case with maximum efficiency.

Secondly, am i right in thinking that i will need to buy an intake fan for the rear, and an outtake fan for the front??

Wont this just be pumping all the hot air out into my room therefore making the room hotter??
    It's more preference, but I prefer to vent out of the back. Generally there's more room around components for a good vacuum effect.

And yes, your machine's still going to produce a fixed amount of heat per unit of work done, however you choose to measure it. If you want to get it out of the room, you first have to get it out of the case, otherwise the machine will just radiate it out anyway. It's much easier to deal with out in a big space than in the small space.

Thank Post
    Okay thank you very much, whilst looking around the site i normally use for my parts, it doent state if they are intake or outtake, any reccomendations?
    Thanks.

Thank Post
    You'll find they can be mounted in either direction on the case.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, normally there is a little arrow on the side of the outside of the fan case to tell you the direction. Getting the fans the right way round is rather important!

Thank Post
    If I'm reading your posts correctly you're trying to cut down on the temperature of the room, not the computer? Adding more efficient cooling to your computer will heat the room up more due to transferring more of the heat away from the case. If the room is still warm after the computer has been turned off for a long time, then it's the room I'm affraid - perhaps look into AC or insulation.

As for fans, they generally blow towards the frame side (though there should be an arrow) and airflow in the case is determined by which way round you mount them.

As for side fans - though they may 'distort the flow of air' they still provide very good spot cooling and introduce (or extract) more air. Personally my favourite layout was intakes on the front, outakes on the top and back, and two intakes on the side, one over the graphics, one over the CPU heatsink - adds plenty of cold air and cools the hottest components.

RwD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RinSewand View Post
    If I'm reading your posts correctly you're trying to cut down on the temperature of the room, not the computer?
    The only way to do that is switch it off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you want to cool your room, may I suggest an array of fans? have one sucking cool air in from one door, and another blowing hot air out of the window or something similar?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread