+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Wireless Keyboards & Mice in Technical; One of my first tasks in my new post is to "spec out " and get quotes for a new ...
    richard

Wireless Keyboards & Mice

One of my first tasks in my new post is to "spec out " and get quotes for a new admin system. The school had gotten a couple of quotes a few months ago but had never acted on them. Whilst going through them I noticed that they had specified wireless keyboards and mice for the pc's.

I have to admit that these are a pet hate of mine but I can't use that as an excuse when so I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on them for use in a school enviroment.

Thank Post

Re: Wireless Keyboards & Mice

We have several sets of the Gyration KBs and mice, mainly for whiteboard machines in teaching rooms.

I'm not entirely sure that they get used to their full potential.

The most common things I hear are 'the mouse doesn't work' (trying putting it back in its cradle when you're not using it, it will magically get the electric juice back) or 'the keyboard doesn't work' (stick some fresh batteries in it)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yep, batteries for one reason. And they seem more stealable if they don't have a wire attached to it. Plus if you have several that are close to eachother you could end up typing on someone else's computer.

Thank Post

We did have some Microsoft K+Ms which are fine for typing but they only have a few chanels available, not good if you have more than 5 in close proximity. I would NOT recommend the Bursur or Head's PA/Office Manager having one. The budget can look a bit funny if another secertary is typing on their machines.

The toys where all thrown out of the pram that day.

richard

Well I've compiled a list reasons why the school should not use them based on what you have said and am going to get the new quotes without them. The head here has said that she will go with my recommendations so hopefully I can put an end to these "silly requests"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

We have a few wireless KB and mice here, bought by management against advise of techs. They do cause problems - batteries go flat (even leaked/exploded on one occasion), mice get lost/stolen and are more expensive to replace, we get interferance issues and they are generally a PITA.

IMO there is little place for this type of home computer equipment in a school/office environment - It creates a 'digital divide' between staff, increases support costs and decreases reliability for very little benefit ( other than the 'it looks modern, therefore works better' argument)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

What about everything you type could be monitored? against data protection act I presume and any personal/finance letters that were being typed etc...?

Ben

Thank Post

On the monitoring / Machine to machine confusion issue my new Logitech cordless desktop at home for my HTPC has an option for encryption between the keyboard and PC which is fairly straight forward to set up. Press button on keyboard > press on screen button > type in code from screen to keyboard. I still would not use them in a school environment or anywhere there is more than 5+ machines tho. There have been some issues at nealry every large lan gaming competition I've run or attended. Surprisingly not just with channel confusion or shortage also with Belkin keyboards just obliterating any other signal in a 5-10meter radius causing any MS or Logitech peripharls to just not be able to connect at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We had 2 belkin ones, what a load of crap they were. First we couldn't pair them and every now and then they'd drop off.

Thank Post

Surely cost would come into it also, I know it wont be a great saving but it all adds up at the end of the day.

Thank Post

I like the Logitech ones for in the classroom, I had a lovely one with a remote control till some little sh*t stole the receiver. They must have thought it was a memory stick! Now I have a cheap one with the receiver mounted in the ceiling!

Thank Post

Our Science department are trailing the Gyration wireless units for use with the I.W. so far no real issues. The mice are very funcky to use, gyroscopic.

On a slightly different note, has anybody sabotaged a Power Point presentation for a main assembly with their mobile phone? The W800i has quite a good range. Thankfully the Deputy Head thought it was one of the kids (Don't let the phone transmit your name as the friendly Bluetooth name or its kind of obvious)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

On a slightly different note, has anybody sabotaged a Power Point presentation for a main assembly with their mobile phone? The W800i has quite a good range. Thankfully the Deputy Head thought it was one of the kids (Don't let the phone transmit your name as the friendly Bluetooth name or its kind of obvious)
    ...sort of thing I would have done at school ops:
    A friend of mine had a rather funky 1990's wristwatch that could receive and transmit IR - we used it to annoy people by changing TV channels, turning off cheap car alarms etc...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    A friend of mine had a rather funky 1990's wristwatch that could receive and transmit IR
    Do I know you at all?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast